homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Powell's resignation (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Powell's resignation
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted November 16, 2004 07:34      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a quick quesiton: am I the only one who sees Powell (and al) resignations as a sign the next four years will show even more extremism than the previous four?

Bush pretty much got the last dove out of his cabinet (the news has Rice replacing Powell [thumbsdown] ), so there's no one left to even try moderate his war-mongering, gaz guzzling, international treaties-burning tendencies.

Suddenly, I'm even more afraid than after he got reelected. [shake head] [Frown] [Mad]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 07:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, you're not the only one worried. I've pretty much knuckled down for a very scary four years. Suddenly, I'm actually happy my bro is blind in one eye. Puts him at the end of the line to get drafted. :/

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 08:22      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Nah, you're not the only one worried. I've pretty much knuckled down for a very scary four years. Suddenly, I'm actually happy my bro is blind in one eye. Puts him at the end of the line to get drafted. :/

In other words you risk being drafted before he does. With Rice in place of Powell would not be surprised to see female draft introduced as well. [ohwell] [Mad]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 08:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm rapidly approaching the outer limit of the age range. My other sister lacks a kidney and has a history of adrenal cancer, so she's out. My youngest sister, OTOH...

Come you masters of war
You that build all the guns
You that build the death planes
You that build the big bombs
You that hide behind walls
You that hide behind desks
I just want you to know
I can see through your masks

You that never done nothin'
But build to destroy
You play with my world
Like it's your little toy
You put a gun in my hand
And you hide from my eyes
And you turn and run farther
When the fast bullets fly

Like Judas of old
You lie and deceive
A world war can be won
You want me to believe
But I see through your eyes
And I see through your brain
Like I see through the water
That runs down my drain

You fasten the triggers
For the others to fire
Then you set back and watch
When the death count gets higher
You hide in your mansion
As young people's blood
Flows out of their bodies
And is buried in the mud

You've thrown the worst fear
That can ever be hurled
Fear to bring children
Into the world
For threatening my baby
Unborn and unnamed
You ain't worth the blood
That runs in your veins

How much do I know
To talk out of turn
You might say that I'm young
You might say I'm unlearned
But there's one thing I know
Though I'm younger than you
Even Jesus would never
Forgive what you do

Let me ask you one question
Is your money that good
Will it buy you forgiveness
Do you think that it could
I think you will find
When your death takes its toll
All the money you made
Will never buy back your soul

And I hope that you die
And your death'll come soon
I will follow your casket
In the pale afternoon
And I'll watch while you're lowered
Down to your deathbed
And I'll stand o'er your grave
'Til I'm sure that you're dead

Suddenly, the protest music of the 60's is becoming relevant again.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 08:57      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get ready for a visit from The Secret Service
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 09:43      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering that I'm also a Boulderite, they'll probably just let it slide, especially since the song is not a threat.
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 12:33      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm actually less worried. I think the smart ones are leaving the party early and going to stick GWB with the check. I view this as a sign that they think the Bush administration is allready over, and they don't to go down with the ship.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 12:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
Just a quick quesiton: am I the only one who sees Powell (and al) resignations as a sign the next four years will show even more extremism than the previous four?

Bush pretty much got the last dove out of his cabinet (the news has Rice replacing Powell [thumbsdown] ), so there's no one left to even try moderate his war-mongering, gaz guzzling, international treaties-burning tendencies.

He's also purging that hotbed of Liberals, the CIA (The Age, registration may be required, so here's a quote).
quote:

Sources said the White House had ordered Mr Goss to purge the agency of officers believed to have been disloyal to US President George Bush or of leaking damaging information to the media about the conduct of the Iraq war and the hunt for Osama bin Laden.

"The agency is being purged on instructions from the White House," said a former senior CIA official who maintains close ties with the agency and the White House.

"Goss was given instructions . . . to get rid of those soft leakers and liberal Democrats. The CIA is looked on by the White House as a hotbed of liberals and people who have been obstructing the President's agenda."

Anyone who thinks the CIA is a hotbed of Liberals is scary, really, really scary.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted November 16, 2004 13:22      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Anyone who thinks the CIA is a hotbed of Liberals is scary, really, really scary.

And somone who thinks evidences (scientific or intelligence) should be bent to fit one's agenda is even more... [Mad]

Maybe it's time to build, not an anti-nuke shelter, but an anti-Bush shelter. You know, no tv and no access to news sites so to avoid mindwashing, and full of books from philosophers who know/knew how to think... [Big Grin] Though libraries and college/university campus offer some protection too.

But how long before the US ones fall before Bush the Annihilator? [crazy]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 14:38      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is entirely predictable (and perhaps not incorrect) that he views his victory as a mandate for his world view & policies. More than half the US has said "Go get'em!", so that is what he has said he will do.

But do not be disheartened, second terms are nearly always very much more problematic than the first, and he has an awful lot of chickens coming home to roost from his first term, before we factor in the unpredictable fsckups. And it is always more pleasurable watching someone someone slip on those banana skins, when they are feeling rather too full of themselves.

My only hope is that it won't take too many bodybags before the electorate sees where Iraq is heading, and when that happens it is obvious where the main blame lies.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 14:59      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More than 100000 Iraqis and 1100 Americans wasn't enough already?

I guess the bloodlust of some will never be satisfied.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 16:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
More than 100000 Iraqis and 1100 Americans wasn't enough already?

I guess the bloodlust of some will never be satisfied.

Revenge is always the weak pleasure of a small and narrow mind.
[Lat., Semper et infirmi est animi exiguique voluptas Ultio.]

-- Decimus Junius Juvenal

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 16:38      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:

My only hope is that it won't take too many bodybags before the electorate sees where Iraq is heading, and when that happens it is obvious where the main blame lies.

i doubt he will be blamed. as they are all chicken hawks they dont have the balls to take the blame and he will most likely end up dishing it another person (s) i.e Tenet.

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
R0x0r_G0dd3ss
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3041

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 18:41      Profile for R0x0r_G0dd3ss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, does it even matter anymore? It's like...America's kind of in the hands of children anyway (*cough* Bush *cough*) and there are times where you just have to sit back and wonder...what good does it matter who babysits him? He's still going to destroy things.

IMHO, everybody.
Gomen...

--------------------
Ph33r my l337 n3kk1d skillz!!!

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 19:57      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine: IIRC, the draft has been changed (or the new versions change it) so that if/when it is reactivated, there is a "desk job draft" that doesn't worry about physical/chronological eligibility, but your special skills. At the top of the list: linguistic skills and computer skills.

Just my luck to have both ... for years I figured I was safe; a disability causes me to fail the vision, hearing, height and weight requirements, to say nothing of my total lack of physical strength.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 20:20      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have neither computer nor linguistic skills for I am a lab rat/bench monkey/RNA bitch. Though I do have some skills that might be considered handy in the event bioweapons are used. I truly hope that never happens though. :/

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 20:51      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err... ferfuxake...

You have got to be kidding me. This is not good. I have computer skills and speak two languages aside from English. That's not good... at all.

So my immune deficiency isn't enough anymore? Yikes.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 21:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
Err... ferfuxake...

You have got to be kidding me. This is not good. I have computer skills and speak two languages aside from English. That's not good... at all.

So my immune deficiency isn't enough anymore? Yikes.

But your sexual preferences might be.

(when there were rumours of the draft being reintroduced in oz, I had several gay friends lined up to testify I'd been their lover)

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 21:29      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now *there's* an idea. [Big Grin]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 21:40      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(when there were rumours of the draft being reintroduced in oz, I had several gay friends lined up to testify I'd been their lover)

You promised you'd never mention that. [weep]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 21:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:

Ok, the truth is out, Cap'n Vic's mum was my gay lover.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 21:57      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ouch, that's a harsh way for Vic to find out about that operation "he" had [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 21:58      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So ... with regards to the whole dodging-to-Canada thing. That pretty much means you can never legally return, right (unless a President issues a pardon, as happened after Vietnam ... was it Carter that did that?)?

I suspect that most of us here, myself included, would spend more time confined to quarters for not conforming to "the Army way" than actually working. A friend of family did that back during Vietnam while he was at the language school.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 22:05      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ouch, that's a harsh way for Vic to find out about that operation "he" had [Wink]
Weren't we all lesbians back then?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 22:09      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
So ... with regards to the whole dodging-to-Canada thing. That pretty much means you can never legally return, right (unless a President issues a pardon, as happened after Vietnam ... was it Carter that did that?)?

I think we have an agreement with Canada now that we didn't have then that would make dodging to Canada impossible. But you could always try going to Mexico.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture