homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Firefox 1.0 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Firefox 1.0
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 10:02      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have to download this when I get home. But Allot of people may move away from IE Here is a story on it.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 11:23      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been using Firefox for a few months now, and I love it. No spyware, no popups, and easy to use features. I upgraded to 1.0PR a few weeks ago, and today loaded 1.0. It is better than ever. I highly recommend it over IE. [thumbsup]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 11:28      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been playing with Firefox, Pheonix, and whatever flavor it was for about 2 years now. I could never get why everyone kept say Mozilla when this was out.

I am downloading 1.0 and can't wait to get home and upgrade there too. I just hope I don''t have to reinstall all my plugins.

edit:

Oops! I meant Firebird. I still have a copy of 0.6.1 in a backup directory. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 11:31      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firewhat?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 11:47      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Firewhat?

Wasn't that like, a helicopter or somethin'?
[Confused]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
klynn
Mini Geek
Member # 3019

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 09, 2004 11:49      Profile for klynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love Firefox! I've been using it for a little over a month now. I don't miss those stupid Effing pop-ups one little bit.

BTW - I dig the tabs, too.

--------------------
Caution: Comments may or may not reflect the actual opinions of the author.

Posts: 62 | From: USA - Saint Albans | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 11:51      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
I just hope I don''t have to reinstall all my plugins.

After you install, it automatically checks to see if your plugins are compatible with 1.0. If they aren't, it will disable them (trust me...leave them disabled...it will totally screw everything up if you try and enable them again). You will then be given the option to check for updates for the ones that are no longer compatible.
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 11:53      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by klynn:

Did you download the "DroptoTab" extension? That is the best! You can just drag a link to the "open in new tab" or "open in new window" icon on the tool bar and it does it automatically! No more "right click-scroll to open in new tab-click again"!
klynn
Mini Geek
Member # 3019

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 11:53      Profile for klynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Firewhat?

Wasn't that like, a helicopter or somethin'?
[Confused]

Ahhh...Spungo has graced this thread with his unique wit [Wink] (love ya!) Now, all we need is a fly-by from Cap'n Vic and this thread will be complete! (Smoochies!)

--------------------

klynn
Mini Geek
Member # 3019

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 09, 2004 11:58      Profile for klynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
Did you download the "DroptoTab" extension? That is the best! You can just drag a link to the "open in new tab" or "open in new window" icon on the tool bar and it does it automatically! No more "right click-scroll to open in new tab-click again"!

Haven't nabbed that one. But, that's okay. I want my fingers to grow up to be big and strong. If I didn't go through those couple extra clicks, they may end up weak and puny. [Wink]

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 11:58      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ahhh...Spungo has graced this thread with his unique wit [Wink]

Uh, yeah, that's right - it was a joke... [Wink]

Hey - did you know that the original St Albans (in Hertfordshire) was where the only English pope came from (Pope Adrian IV, a.k.a. Nicholas Breakspeare)? Interesting, huh? [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
klynn
Mini Geek
Member # 3019

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted November 09, 2004 12:03      Profile for klynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Yes. That is an interesting factoid, Spungo. I think I'll google some info about this area and zee Pope. I'm fairly new to St. Albans and don't know much about it.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 12:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
quote:

Or you could just middle-click the link...
(or Ctrl-click it if you have a 1/2 button mouse [w/o X11 chording])
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/mouse

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 13:06      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Clicking with the scroll wheel acts as a middle-click for Windows users...
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 13:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
quote:

/me holds his tongue.

--------------------

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 13:18      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
quote:

/me holds his tongue.
Sorry dman, you know that really wasn't directed at you!

/me crosses fingers [Smile]

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 14:20      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did the install on my XP box. And it only killed my Wikipedia plug-in. So I still have the plug-ins I truly use. Open in IE, and the adblock.

Fire fox is the best thing since sliced bread!

It's the bee's knees.

It's so hip it has to walk through doors sideways! </Zaphod>

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 15:32      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I started using Firefox on the computers at our office, I have had 3 straight weeks of zero spyware, tracking cookies, viruses, etc. Life is great.
Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 16:37      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

OMG I learn something new every day!

/smacks forehead [Roll Eyes]

sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 18:58      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so happy with firefox, but then again I've always been a mozilla fan (aside from a flirtation with safari when it was first released). have used all the flavors at one time or another, think I still have chimera and phoenix on my 9.2.2 partition.

anyway, lost a few extensions (luckily not ones I used heavily) and search engines (easy enough to replace) upon install today and all is well in browserland [Big Grin] .

oh, and am loving the foxytunes extension too [thumbsup]

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 21:01      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay...let the bitching begin....

I am having one heck of a time with the new Firefox release tonight. Earlier it crashed when I was searching Google Images...and less then an hour ago it made my Trillian stop working. It HAS TO be Firefox, because I've had no problems before the install today, and now I'm using (GAK!) IE with no problems.

Ended up doing a system restore to pre-install today. Now Firefox doesn't work at all.

Perhaps I spoke too soon about how wonderful it is. I am going to try a re-install of Firefox later on, but if it doesn't work I am going to be one very sad lady.

Edit: R&R'd Firefox, seems to be running fine now. I'm sure I'll know more tomorrow. =/

FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 21:52      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only reason to keep IE around is because I can't get Fileplanet to work with firefox. That saddens me to no end.

--------------------
What a complete and utter waste of time to read my Signature don't you think?

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2004 01:24      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Safari seemed to be running slow last night, so I d/l'ed firefox for the mac. I was impressed with its speed, so I'll be playing with that for a while. I've been using it at work for ages (on windows).
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Verithrax
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 16:34      Profile for Verithrax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best part of it is that it does RSS now. I've been using it since 0.8 (Before that I already used Mozilla) It's been quite a while since I last used IE.
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 18:21      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ahhh...Spungo has graced this thread with his unique wit [Wink] (love ya!) Now, all we need is a fly-by from Cap'n Vic and this thread will be complete! (Smoochies!)

**sniff** Leave for awhile and he's got someone new already.
[cry baby] [Wink]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture