homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Northern Lights! Now!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Northern Lights! Now!
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2004 21:48      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just come in from the most amazing display of northern lights I've ever seen. My fingers are still cold, can't type.

Go outside.... Look up... Now!

(This is a time limited offer!)

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2004 21:53      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check this out:

SpaceWeather.com

Apparently we're due for more over the next day or so.

(Still in awe, it was like being in the middle of a red and green bonfire and watching the flames lick up all around me)

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted November 07, 2004 22:37      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cloudy here [cry baby]

enjoy though! Auroras are awesome!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2004 16:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Overcast and rainy here, but this photo was taken nearby, might have to check the weather maps and go for a drive tonight. Aurora are a very rare sight here.
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted November 11, 2004 08:33      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Overcast and rainy here, but this photo was taken nearby, might have to check the weather maps and go for a drive tonight. Aurora are a very rare sight here.
 -

Holy crap thats so beautiful!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 09:34      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm moderately sure those can't be seen from here.. not far enough north.. or too much smog or something.

I don't know. I'd like to see them in person once in my life.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 11, 2004 09:46      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dnm, in Ottawa, or outside of the city light, you will see them every now and then. When I lived in Southern Ontario we would see them at least once a summer. [Smile]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 11:46      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some pix taken ~40 miles north of me Sunday night (note that what I saw wasn't as good)

http://www.previewgallery.com/reprints.php?pid=abc123photography&eid=northern_lights_&cid=northern_lights_over_lake_marinuka

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 11:53      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by N9IWP:
Here are some pix taken ~40 miles north of me Sunday night (note that what I saw wasn't as good)

http://www.previewgallery.com/reprints.php?pid=abc123photography&eid=northern_lights_&cid=northern_lights_over_lake_marinuka

Brian

Nice pics!

It's like God's technicoloured snot!

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2004 18:09      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I'm moderately sure those can't be seen from here.. not far enough north.. or too much smog or something.

DNM, these ones were seen as far south as Alabama ! When the Sun blasts enough stuff in the right direction, you'll see 'em in Ottawa, trust me. When I was outside (not far from you), they were visible in every direction, even down to the southern horizon.

Technically, the Sun should be kind of quiet (we're near the middle of a solar minimum, if I'm counting my years right), but for some reason there have been a few really big sunspot groups over the past year sending out some major crap every so often. Also, apparently November is a good time to look for them, not sure why.

MM

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2004 05:08      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moe Monkey:
quote:

DNM, these ones were seen as far south as Alabama ! When the Sun blasts enough stuff in the right direction, you'll see 'em in Ottawa, trust me. When I was outside (not far from you), they were visible in every direction, even down to the southern horizon.

Technically, the Sun should be kind of quiet (we're near the middle of a solar minimum, if I'm counting my years right), but for some reason there have been a few really big sunspot groups over the past year sending out some major crap every so often. Also, apparently November is a good time to look for them, not sure why.

MM

Really? That sucks. I'd have loved to see them. It's something I've never seen before. I guess I'll have to pay more attention in the future..
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2004 20:05      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'd have loved to see them. It's something I've never seen before. I guess I'll have to pay more attention in the future..

Keep an eye on that SpaceWeather site, it will tell you when to pay attention (only when the Sun is belching out stuff, and only directly at us, and only when the Sun's magnetic field is aligned to the South... or is it the North?) Anyway, they issue alerts when aurora activity is high. Then it's just a matter of glancing out a window now and then.

It helps to be a bit of an astronomy geek, too -- If you don't generally get into this stuff, checking the web site is probably more bother than it's worth.

Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 11:46      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a picture of the Northern Lights from the other side:

-

(From SpaceWeather)

I think I see DNM's house under there... [Big Grin]

Moe

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture