homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » New Geeks Vs. Old Geeks (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New Geeks Vs. Old Geeks
chick2geek
Geek Larva
Member # 3052

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted November 03, 2004 15:11      Profile for chick2geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to admit that technology blows my mind. I love gadgets and gizmos. Every time there is something new that "just" came out... I want to know everything about it. How it works, why it works... what happens if I press this button? etc..
And yet, I still yearn to play around with my old TI99 and my Atari console. I love the old crap as much as the new. Sometimes I want to grab the kids that are fresh out of high school and give them an "old school techy appreciation day". Maybe I am too set in my ways. I guess I'm a girl who loves it all.
What about you?

--------------------
“The battle of the sexes will NEVER be won… there is too much fraternizing with the enemy”

Posts: 28 | From: ID | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 15:21      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, more a case of "younger geeks versus older geeks", I reckon. I'm much the same, although I try to keep up with what's happening tech-wise now, I still have a certain fondness for the past technology I've experienced. The only difference is that the younger geeks haven't had the chance to experience as much breadth of technology.

Now you've reminded me, where's that C64 emulator gone...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 15:41      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right here. [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
chick2geek
Geek Larva
Member # 3052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 15:43      Profile for chick2geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
posted by csk:
Now you've reminded me, where's that C64 emulator gone...

Right here... I found it. Whew, that was close! [Wink]

--------------------
“The battle of the sexes will NEVER be won… there is too much fraternizing with the enemy”

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 15:43      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand the feeling. Like many here know I am a car and motorcycle nut. I like old tech and am fascinated more by tubes and switches than early processors. It comes down to my gearhead roots.

Nothing like tweaking on a set of points and twisting the throttle on something that is just pure mechanical. I think it just feels more 'real.' Especially after a day of hard drives, IP addresses, and network wiring schemes.

Though I do miss playing Rocket Ranger on my old Tandy.

[Smile]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
chick2geek
Geek Larva
Member # 3052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 15:45      Profile for chick2geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Right here. [Big Grin]

Geek minds...er I mean, great minds think alike. [Big Grin]

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 16:17      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...

code:
[email protected]:~$ apt-cache search ccs64
[email protected]:~$ apt-cache search emulator | grep -i commodore
vice - The Versatile Commodore Emulator
[email protected]:~$ sudo apt-get install vice
Password:
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
vice
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 2798kB of archives.
After unpacking 7762kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 ftp://ftp.au.debian.org sarge/contrib vice 1.14-3 [2798kB]
Fetched 2798kB in 2m45s (16.9kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package vice.
(Reading database ... 118632 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking vice (from .../archives/vice_1.14-3_i386.deb) ...
Setting up vice (1.14-3) ...

Something to play with when I get home, then [Big Grin]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted November 03, 2004 16:51      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One notion I've been toying with recently is that maybe the exciting days of rapid development of revolutionary new software and hardware for the PC are now over. A few years back newer faster PCs were enabling the creation of exciting new media and in particular digital video applications. But if PCs get twice as fast as they are now, what new toys would be made possible? I cannot think of any. As broadband spreads, internet telephony and videoconference apps will become more widespread, but in essence they are already here. I do however suspect that there will be some more exciting new developments created by the internet, though I have no idea what form they might take.

But in general, part of the nostalgia for old tech kit is for the excitement they had around them for their future potential. Now the future of PCs seems more about how they look than what they might be able to do.

Or am I being a grumpy old man?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 17:08      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can relate to some of this... A few weeks ago I hunted down a DOS emulator (I use a G4 PB) so I could run the game "Beast." Anyone heard of it? On the screen you're an asterisk that pushes boxes around to trap the "beasts" (capital Hs) before they eat you.

MM

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 17:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
One notion I've been toying with recently is that maybe the exciting days of rapid development of revolutionary new software and hardware for the PC are now over. A few years back newer faster PCs were enabling the creation of exciting new media and in particular digital video applications. But if PCs get twice as fast as they are now, what new toys would be made possible? I cannot think of any.

A few years ago I read about a company that had a very interesting business model.

1. use Moores Law to estimate what hardware will be available in 5-7 years,
2. think of cool applications for all that processing power,
3. produce simple proof-of-concepts using todays technology and patent them,
4. wait a few years
5. profit !!!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
chick2geek
Geek Larva
Member # 3052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 18:22      Profile for chick2geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Now the future of PCs seems more about how they look than what they might be able to do.
Or am I being a grumpy old man?

Nah, you are not a grumpy old man. I agree. Although I do like some of the new "Geek-Bling-Bling" they add to those CPU's. It seems that they are coming out with newer gadgets and toys to connect to the PC... rather than focusing on the internal potential. My desk is covered with LED lights, jump drives, palm pilot, cell phone, MP3 player, and an air bazooka (don't ask) [Wink]
Sigh... all I want for christmas is a Logitech io2 Digital Writing System! *Homer Simpson drooling like motions*

--------------------

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 19:11      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a New Geek, let me say that many of us do love the old stuff - while we may not have access to T99s, C64s, ATARI machines, etc., a lot of us love to try different emulators.

Problem is, now Joe "Look, I know what framerate is" Random is considered a geek. [Frown]

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 19:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You talk about TI99s and C64s as 'old tech' ?

LOOKSYERY !

How many of you young whipper-snappers have actually had to use a slide rule to solve problems ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 20:18      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
LOOKSYERY !
How many of you young whipper-snappers have actually had to use a slide rule to solve problems ?

Wooden slide rule? You were lucky!
Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 21:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moe Monkey:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
LOOKSYERY !

Wooden slide rule? You were lucky!
Well, I say 'slide rule', it were actually an old dead 'addock wi' log scale drawn along t' side in charcoal, but it were a slide-rule t' oos.

--------------------

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 04, 2004 04:00      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dead 'addock! Why we used to dream about 'bout 'aving a dead 'addock...

Wait a minute, let us not start this again [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] .

Python dejà vu.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 05:22      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took an old (I know not that old) 386 and put GEM on it. It was a nice snazzy little OS for it's time. I like to play with that. There really isn't much available for it. [Frown] But as of right now it's opensource and you can do anything you want to it. So after I start school and learn a little bit more about programing I want to mess around with it more just for fun.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 06:24      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me sings "meet the new geek, same as the old geek"

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 07:31      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been trying to get my hands on an old Atari for some time now. And an original Commodore 64. Just for old time's sake.

Haven't succeeded thus far, but man that would be sweet.

LOAD "$", 8
LIST

hehe.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 04, 2004 07:50      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AIR BAZOOKA!!! My kids got me one for Christmas last year!! rofl

A young temp tech guy told me recently: "I really like to hear you old guys talk about DOS...it's really cool" He has never used DOS. Woah. [Smile]

That said, it is nice to boot up some of my old computer collection sometimes! My son used to use our Apple IIe, a Suncom pad and a little drawing program (can't remember it's name) to draw pictures...now he is is a graphic designer!!!

Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
chick2geek
Geek Larva
Member # 3052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 07:56      Profile for chick2geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I've been trying to get my hands on an old Atari for some time now. And an original Commodore 64. Just for old time's sake.

Here ya go!!! Click me!

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 08:30      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by crazyarlo:

A young temp tech guy told me recently: "I really like to hear you old guys talk about DOS...it's really cool" He has never used DOS. Woah. [Smile]

Never used DOS?!?!

Geez, we still use the basics at least, even here in an Active Directory network. If nothing else batch files and ipconfig. Not surprising, we had an intern (read cheap labor) that had never even used fdisk.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 08:41      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, but that's probably a command prompt, not a DOS prompt (slightly different) </pedant>

Edit: woot, look at my number of posts, very relevant for this thread.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 09:04      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True csk, but not too different. Many of those commands are still used even today. They are elementary commands, but so few understand those basics. You get some kid fresh out of tech school that can't even do a ping in the command prompt.

And then you have things like .wsf files that rely fairly heavily on modified DOS commands.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 04, 2004 09:20      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chick2geek:
And yet, I still yearn to play around with my old TI99 and my Atari console.

Funny, I wrote about C-64 (Vice) and Atari (Stella) emulators for Gaming Hacks. It was odd how C-64 BASIC came back to me after ten years.
Posts: 223 | From: Squeaky First Geek House | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture