homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Mac ipod under windows (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Mac ipod under windows
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2004 18:19      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
There are shareware and freeware programs that allows you to move your music files from an iPod to a computer.

Or you could just open the /Volumes/*Your iPod Name Here*/iPod_Control/.Music folder :-P

Seriously though, I've heard good things about the [url= http://"http://reviews.cnet.com/Rio_Karma_20GB/4505-6490_7-30474134-2.html?tag=top"]Rio Karma[/url] (MP3, OGG, FLAC, and more?)

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 07:07      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Do iPods play .oggs?

Oh, and what other digital music players exist out there?

Hardware Ogg Vorbis players.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 07:20      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zboy:
iPod [...]
It plays most music formats

Not by a long shot.

quote:
and if it doesn't you can always burn a CD and import it into iTunes.
So... your suggestion is to take a lossy audio file, decode it, then re-encode it with a different lossy codec? That's a great way to get even less quality than you started with....

(Granted, if you still have access to the original CD from which the Ogg file was ripped, you could re-rip that CD and encode it in whatever proprietary, patent-encumbered codec the iPod can play... or you could spend $100 less and get a Neuros that plays Oggs and MP3s, and has a built-in FM radio transmitter.)

quote:
The iPod works seamlessly with iTunes.
Well of course. They're both created by the same company.

quote:
You can't talk about the iPod without talking about iTunes.
Good monkey. Extra food pellet for you tonight!

quote:
iTunes is great and also comes with the most legal freedom that I have seen.
Except the freedom to share my songs.

And the freedom to listen to other people's songs.

And the freedom to avoid paying money to the RIAA.

And the freedom to use Linux.

And....

quote:
You can burn a song unlimited times and even legally share your music over a network.
Oh really?

If I buy a Metallica song from iTMS and decode it and re-encode it to MP3 format, I can then go ahead and stick it in a KaZaa shared-music folder? And the RIAA can't sue me?

Boy, are you in for a rude shock one of these days.... [shake head]

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 08:27      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 - It's getting old, Greycat. I can think of more important things to be pissed about.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 08:57      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
quote:
There are shareware and freeware programs that allows you to move your music files from an iPod to a computer.

Or you could just open the /Volumes/*Your iPod Name Here*/iPod_Control/.Music folder :-P

Seriously though, I've heard good things about the Rio Karma (MP3, OGG, FLAC, and more?)

...from the cnet page:
Editor's note: More than a few Karma users, including some at CNET.com, have experienced hard drive problems or even failure after several months of use.
Might be a good idea to search for a slightly used 3G ipod instead, people are selling theirs cheap so they can get the new click wheel model. Or, better yet, buy a new one with a powerbook and get the cram&jam rebate - can't beat a $70 ipod [Smile]

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 11:50      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dp004i:
quote:
quote:

Seriously though, I've heard good things about the Rio Karma (MP3, OGG, FLAC, and more?)

...from the cnet page:
Editor's note: More than a few Karma users, including some at CNET.com, have experienced hard drive problems or even failure after several months of use.
Might be a good idea to search for a slightly used 3G ipod instead, people are selling theirs cheap so they can get the new click wheel model. Or, better yet, buy a new one with a powerbook and get the cram&jam rebate - can't beat a $70 ipod [Smile]

Yay! Give a company 1500 dollars for something that you can buy from another company for 1100 and get 200 dollars back! w00t!
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted September 22, 2004 12:45      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dp004i:
quote:

...from the cnet page:

So Rio suffers from "bad Karma?" [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 14:24      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
 - It's getting old, Greycat. I can think of more important things to be pissed about.

You say that now, but if it comes to pass that Windows is the only operating system that can play your music, I suspect you may think differently.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 15:21      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really. There's always my guitar, bass and keyboard. [Razz]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture