homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » George Lucas should listen to himself!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: George Lucas should listen to himself!
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted August 10, 2004 11:21      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George Lucas, a longtime foe of "colorized" movies, has sharply criticized Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment's decision to release two Three Stooges DVDs today (Tuesday) that will allow viewers to watch them in either their original black-and-white or digitally colored versions. In an interview with the Associated Press, Lucas said, that the Stooges' slapstick comedy belongs in a black-and-white universe. "Would color distract from their comedy and make it not as funny anymore?" Lucas said. "Maybe just the fact that they're in black and white makes it funny, because their humor is dated. But by putting it in black and white, it puts it in a context where you can appreciate it for what it was. But you try to make it in full living color and try to compare it to a Jim Carrey movie, then it's hard for young people to understand. ... It's not fair to the artist."

Yet he has no problem altering the original Star Wars trilogy! [Mad]

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted August 10, 2004 11:54      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is lame George!!

....like as if Three Stooges humour is dated! [Mad]

/me pokes George's eye, the twists his nose! hee hee! [Big Grin]

Posts: 8104 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aves Corax
Mini Geek
Member # 2533

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted August 10, 2004 15:25      Profile for Aves Corax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But he's only trying to show you Star Wars as it was meant to be seen!

--------------------
"Be ye not lost among precepts of order."
The Principia Discordia

Posts: 65 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 06:12      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kind of agree with Mr. Lucas. The 3 stooges you can't enjoy quite right unless they're in black and white.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 09:49      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the stooges in black and white... But don't think colorizing them is as bad as lucas' CGI-Jabba in the digitized StarWars IV: A New Hope.
Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 09:50      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if they put Jabba in a 3 Stooges flick.....I bet George would dig that.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 09:59      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too was struck by the hypocracy of this statement.

However, if GL's defense, Star Wars is his creation, and can do with it whatever he wants. If the stooges were alive and wanted to colorize thier old shows, I don't think GL would complain. (well he might complain, but he'd allow them the right to modify thier creation)

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 10:12      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More to the point - who the Hell listens to George Lucas' opinion anyway?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2004 06:42      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that he's fine with having Moe throw the first pie rather than Curly, though [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2004 13:43      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
I heard that he's fine with having Moe throw the first pie rather than Curly, though [Wink]

Nuk Nuk Nuk ! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2004 15:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:

Nuk Nuk Nuk ! [Big Grin]
Oh, Wise Guy eh ? (pokes both fingers in eye, leaving you looking like this) [Cool]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10675 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture