homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Favorite anime series

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite anime series
Patrick
Mini Geek
Member # 1793

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2004 03:24      Profile for Patrick   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all. What's your favorite anime series? It would be nice if you could say why too, because I'm trying to find new animes to follow.

As far as something for the whole family: I recently saw "Comic Party" - it was funny, and it really helps you understand manga fan comic culture and such. Also liked "Big O", which is basically Batman with robots. TIGHT.

"Blue Gender" is cool too. Sorta like a better version of Starship Troopers.

"InuYasha" is a classic.

My favorite is probably "Dual". Robots, parallel universes, the humor. I guess I'm into more lighthearted animes.

--------------------
"Oh, come on - are you telling me that you can look at a monkey and not get hungry?"
- Bucky Katt, GET FUZZY

Posts: 84 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2004 09:05      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cowboy Bebop.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2004 09:42      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone had to say "Cowboy Bepop" 'cause that's the only anime with which I am somewhat familiar. One of the girls (an art student) with whom I shared a house last year was a huge fan of "Cowboy Bepop."

What's the big deal, though? I first heard of anime and manga at the National Institute for Cooperative Education in Pittsburgh, PA, during high school. I never learned to appreciate cartoons (although I do enjoy "Shrek"), so anime and manga just haven't done anything for me. What do you find enjoyable or intriguing about cartoons, Japanese or American?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2004 10:18      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
What do you find enjoyable or intriguing about cartoons, Japanese or American?

The dream factor, I guess. It's a free ticket into someone else's imagination. (Obviously, I'm not talking about commercial venues like Pokemon and al.) Just because it's expressed with drawings instead of actors playing on a set doesn't make it of any less value than movies. Or novels, graphic or not.

To some people, there will never be any appeal. For others, it all starts with one work that touches their heart/soul/imagination, and then start craving for some more. And then, there's those who grew up with them, without outgrowing them.

Sometimes, it's one character that makes the show; sometimes its the whole universe that sucks you in. It could be the emotions expressed; it could be the situations depicted.

So, it's really case by case. Tell us what you look for, and someone here will probably suggest a few titles. If you don't like them, maybe it's not for you. But you may just as well discover a new passion!

To answer the original question, I hardly follow any series. The recent ones, they're pretty much all taken from mangas, and I prefer them that way, as the story is usually more developped. I like to buy some oldies, though: I've begun G-force/Gatchaman, I might buy the Transformers, Captain Harlock is on my list, and I hope Goldorak (French name, I have no idea if the title is the same or different in English) will have the go for Noth American distribution soon so I can buy it.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2004 05:30      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What do you find enjoyable or intriguing about cartoons, Japanese or American?

What about French cartoons a la The Triplets of Belleville?

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2004 05:36      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
What about French cartoons a la The Triplets of Belleville?

Or those too. [Razz]
To expand my question: since American cartoons (Bugs Bunny, South Park, etc.) are so different from Japanese cartoons (Cowboy Bebop, Pokemon, etc.), do people who enjoy American cartoons necessarily enjoy "foreign" cartoons? What about cartoons do people find enjoyable?

What's the difference between a comic and a cartoon? I enjoy reading the comics in my local newspaper, but I can't stand watching cartoons. (Lack of annoying sound, maybe?)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2004 08:00      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My personal fave is Full Metal Alchemist. Good storyline, pretty serious at times but every half-dozen episodes or so they dedicate a whole episode to the more light-hearted aspects of the characters.

Someone above asked what the deal was with anime (pardon my paraphrasing). For me it's equal parts of 1) the media allows the storywriters to be incredibly imaginative and to not have to worry about how to make it work in cgi or real life and 2) the character development.

IMO the Japanese storywriters really know how to create fully imagined characters. Real people in extraordinary situations.

my $0.02.

--------------------
I already used my best sig on Slashdot.

Posts: 92 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2004 11:24      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people watch it because its a popular thing to do, but really its just another medium. Watch a show because its interesting. Its funny to watch geeks fall to geek pop culture.

EDIT: oh and back on topic: Cowboy BeBop, Trigun, GTO, prolly a few others I'm forgetting.

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2004 06:57      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

To expand my question: since American cartoons (Bugs Bunny, South Park, etc.) are so different from Japanese cartoons (Cowboy Bebop, Pokemon, etc.), do people who enjoy American cartoons necessarily enjoy "foreign" cartoons?

I get lots of cartoon time in my regular life(I have two kids). I can safely say that the love of American cartoons do not mean an instant love for the Japanese medium, or vice-versa. I do not care too much for the series anime. Most of them fall into the category of being too over the top.

Though I do enjoy the feature length anime films. The character development is generally better than a similar live action film. I believe that the cost of live action to drawn films can prohibitive to creating a larger, complex world. Could you imagine if they tried to create a live action version of Akira? *shudder*

The graphic novel and comic falls into the same categories. I love the quick comic, also. A fast way to get out an idea. A one-liner more or less. But a quality graphic novel can evoke emotions or place you into a new world. But like any medium, there is good and bad. You would never catch me reading an Archie comic. But, I still enjoy going back and re-reading the Frank Miller Dark Knight series.

If your only true contact with Japanese animation is the Americanized fare like Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh. I understand wholeheartedly why you do not care for, or understand the love of anime.

The one film I use to give people without any exposure to Japanese animation is Princess Mononoke. Even using Western voice actors the film is very good. A strong message that can be very captivating.

As far as a series, I do like Tenchi though I cannot watch a lot of it. No marathons for me, I tried.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2464 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2004 11:35      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to have to say Naruto, but that's just been recently. It's a fansub'd anime downloadable from animesuki.com (loads of free anime) But previous to that I enjoyed Ranma 1/2.
Posts: 49 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2004 05:51      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Full Metal Alchemist. best anime ever.
coming to Adult Swim this October.
www.fullmetalalchemist.com

edit: i am also quite fond of Monster, a new anime in japan right now, about a japanese doctor in germany who has been framed for murders, which were committed by his former patient, and his journey to find and kill the patient, lots of character development, it gets deeper every episode, available by bittorrent download www.animesuki.com

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2004 13:24      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got so psyched about Full Metal Alchemist that I forgot to list the series I'm watching....

• Full Metal Alchemist
  • Chrno Crusade
  • Wolf's Rain
  • Trigun
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • Hand Maid May
  • Vampire Hunter D
Just started watching Wolf's Rain yesterday--and love it. I would recommend it after FMA.

(my apologies--this is more or less a duplicate post from another similar thread)

T

--------------------

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2004 16:03      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite anime series are Crest of the Stars, and Banner of the Stars for the space theme, and Serial Experiments Lain for the wierd factor.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2004 16:08      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wolf's rain = a waste of time, episodes 14-18 present no new material, after that i barely made it up to episode 21, then stopped watching. the series starts to lose its appeal. i hear the 4 OAVs they released to appease fans are good however, maybe ill watch them someday. look for Scrapped Princess, made by the guy that did Wolf's Rain, it is a really great series start to finish. and also check out Samurai Champloo, his newest series.
as for series i currently watch
  • Samurai Champloo
  • One Piece
  • Naruto
  • Monster
  • Full Metal Alchemist
  • Samurai 7 (based off of Kurosawas movie, but in neo-punk japan)

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2004 12:05      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:

edit: i am also quite fond of Monster, a new anime in japan right now, about a japanese doctor in germany who has been framed for murders, which were committed by his former patient, and his journey to find and kill the patient, lots of character development, it gets deeper every episode, available by bittorrent download www.animesuki.com

Spike,

Can you give me more info on Monster? I tried seeing if it's been released in the US yet, but didn't see that it has been.

TIA.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2004 12:44      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spike-

Good to know your opinion of Wolf's Rain. I have episodes 1-10 and several other random ones between 11 and 30. I have to admit that I'm curious about how they can sustain the search for Paradise for 30+ episodes.

Just got done watching Ep 42 of FMA and I am on the edge of my seat. Ep 43 is d/l on the PC behind me as I type and it can't come fast enough.

Scrapped Princess is on my list of series to get, as is Naruto.

Question: OAV? I've seen that acronym before and always wondered.

T

--------------------

s4 leko
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2873

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 09:41      Profile for s4 leko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cowboy bebop is defiantly my favorite followed closely by most of Miyazaki's work (spirited away, princess mononoke etc.) Akira is also a great one.

I've also just finished the FLCL series for the second time and enjoyed it very much (compared to the first viewing).

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture