homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » abortion (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: abortion
homerstash
Mini Geek
Member # 2829

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 13:44      Profile for homerstash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry commandershroom, i knw you are a good person, i just misunderstood you.
Posts: 82 | From: santa ana california usa | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
fanboy_uk

Member # 2132

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 13:48      Profile for fanboy_uk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rather coincidentally this was in the news today.

I think abortion is a subjective and needs to be dealt with on issue by issue basis
quote:
I do know someone who has had more than one abortion in her lifetime. Why? Because she "forgot" to use a condom with the guys she brought home from the bar.

That's disgusting, and I'm entirely against abortion for the purpose of birth control.

drunkennewfiemidget is right here (and this is for men and women) thinking that 'Ah we can get an abortion if we get pregnant' is not responsible.

There are enough forms of contraception on the market (and in nature) that allow mature consenting adults to act responsibility.

What annoys me is the religious p.o.v. i.e. Catholic teachings. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here but doesn't RC tenets state that abortion is wrong in ALL (D'man - didn't use the caps key) circumstances. Now isn't that plain stupid. If the pregnancy is forced on a woman could she not grow to resent her church, her family and more importantly her child. How will the child feel if it finds out later.

Also <stands by to be flamed> I do occaisionally feel that women have the upperhand in the decision, obviously a man can't or at least shouldn't be able to force a decision, but shouldn't he also have a part to play in the choice.

I think there is more to this than a simple right or wrong. As mentioned on another thread, in many things there is no right and wrong, black or white just shades of opinion or grey.

I feel that the prospective parents are the ones who have to make the decision. Not the government, not the church and not society.

The only caveat I will add to this is that there does have to be a time limit tho and the current 28 (soon to be 24?) weeks seems right.

/THWACK! hits the topic into another posters court

ps For those who are pro-choice check out who Mr Domino's Pizza gives some of his 'hard earned' money to. Since I found out I haven't bought from them since.

--------------------
A woman walked into a cocktail bar, took one look at the drinks menu and asked the barman for a Double Entendré.
So he gave her one

Posts: 161 | From: Brighton, UK (50.8389, -00.1876) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
homerstash
Mini Geek
Member # 2829

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 13:49      Profile for homerstash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as for changin my opinion, this is a very important subject. one that is not to be taken too lightly. subjects like these i reasearch for many months before coming to an educated decision. this is why i love debates, im always going to be giving arguments against arguments. i know i may sound like an idiot just saying all of that but i just want to say even though i am sixteen, i like to have the facts.
Posts: 82 | From: santa ana california usa | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
homerstash
Mini Geek
Member # 2829

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 13:51      Profile for homerstash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh thats great, i totally agree with you, abortion does need to be dealt with on a cases by case basis. there are always going to be many variable to consider and one final decision for all comes far from solving all of our problems.
homerstash
Mini Geek
Member # 2829

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 13:59      Profile for homerstash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
after 28 weeks of pregnancy the baby is developed enough that an abortion at that point would be called a partial birth abortion. a partial birth abortion is done in the last months of pregnancy after about 26 weeks (i think). do you know what partial birth abortion is. it is when the fetus is delivered, the baby is pulled out by the feet with a pair of surgical tongs but leaving the head in the fetus (so that the baby is not oficially delivered) then the doctor makes an incision in the back of the baby's skull. then the doctor inserts a suction device and suck out the baby's brain. the remaing body is discarded.
Number 2608
Mini Geek
Member # 2608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 14:13      Profile for Number 2608     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
homerstash wrote:

sex is supposed to be something that you celebrate with you life long partner as an act of love

Where about in the user's manual is this written?
Posts: 82 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 14:32      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by homerstash:
after 28 weeks of pregnancy the baby is developed enough that an abortion at that point would be called a partial birth abortion. a partial birth abortion is done in the last months of pregnancy after about 26 weeks (i think). do you know what partial birth abortion is. it is when the fetus is delivered, the baby is pulled out by the feet with a pair of surgical tongs but leaving the head in the fetus (so that the baby is not oficially delivered) then the doctor makes an incision in the back of the baby's skull. then the doctor inserts a suction device and suck out the baby's brain. the remaing body is discarded.

And the point of this gory description is...?

If you're going to talk about a medical procedure, please at least give it some context. First, partial birth abortions are only ever administered if the mother's life is in immediate danger. They are not, and have never been an elective option. First trimester abortions are the only legal elective procedures allowed in the US.

I would suggest you talk to your mother and grandmother about the way this country was in the days before Roe v. Wade -- it might give you a perspective on what things were like without legalised abortion. Legalising only cleaned up and regulated a practice that was already going on, and saved girls from doing their own backyard D&C with coathangers or dish soap.

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 14:37      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
yes, youre right, i am still in highschool. im sixteen. but that doesnt mean that i cant see murder when it happens. As for rape and molestation, im sorry that it happened but its not the babys fault that it happened. if the mother decides not to keep the baby then at least give birth to it then give it up for adoption. as for neglect, the same option. for molestion and rape and neglect go to counseling and be open about your feelings.

I've said this before but it's worth repeating.

I will not, under any circumstances, carry a child that I had no say in the conception of. In my opinion, bearing children is a gift a woman gives to her partner and to herself, and as such it should only been done when both parties are able and willing to take up the responsibilities of having that baby. This is not the case when rape is involved. Assuming you rape me and we both survive (because I'd either try to kill you or make you kill me) there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY IN HELL I am going to carry the results to term. If you take a woman against her will, you are scum that does not deserve to reproduce. Sex is a gift, not a right. Children are a gift, not a right.

Furthermore, I don't believe that life begins until the child can survive outside the mother. Logically, I'm not a big fan of late term abortions, but if the mother's life is at stake then I say do it. In situations like these, if you lose the mom you're likely to lose the baby as well.

Finally, I don't buy into the rhythm method as a means of contraception. It probably works just fine for the girls who run like clockwork, but not everyone's cycle is lock-step, 28 days, same time every month - mine sure as hell is not. If you don't want kids, either don't do it or protect yourself with pills or rubber, but don't leave it up to nature. Nature wants women to get pregnant.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 14:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Number 2608:
quote:
homerstash wrote:

sex is supposed to be something that you celebrate with you life long partner as an act of love

Where about in the user's manual is this written?
In the appendix, under "Religion."

The same section that decrees that using birth control is a sin...*shrugs*.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
homerstash
Mini Geek
Member # 2829

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 14:52      Profile for homerstash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
at this point before i go on and on again i would like to stop tell everyone im sorry. i have offended some of you and im sorry it was not done on purpose.
homerstash
Mini Geek
Member # 2829

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 14:54      Profile for homerstash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to dragonman97: im not sure what you mean by that but im not realigious at all and anything i say is detached from any kind of realigious meaning. or at least i try to keep it that way.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 14:57      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
to dragonman97: im not sure what you mean by that but im not realigious at all and anything i say is detached from any kind of realigious meaning. or at least i try to keep it that way.

It's called Dragon-Style Humo(u|)r. Sit down, cut back from the caffeine, give it a second look over, and don't make a knee-jerk response. Then, perhaps, it will make sense. Or, if it doesn't, it means I did a shoddy job of it [Razz] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
homerstash
Mini Geek
Member # 2829

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 14:58      Profile for homerstash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to xanthine: in situations like rape or when one or the other or both the baby and the mother would be lost there are infinitely more variables to consider. which is why each case is unique and should be dealt with on a case by case basis.
homerstash
Mini Geek
Member # 2829

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 14:59      Profile for homerstash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, yea i guess i should cut back on something.
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 15:04      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From CNN today

EAST POINT, Georgia (AP) -- A woman who says she got up in the night to use the bathroom but instead gave birth to twins has been charged with murder after the newborns were found dead in the toilet, police said.

Alainer Warren, 25, was charged last week and jailed without bail.

"She told us initially that she did not know she was pregnant," Detective Robert Gray said.

Later, investigators learned "she saw the babies moving and alive," Gray said. "We're not talking about little embryos. These were small children."

He said the girls were born two months prematurely.

Warren told police that she got up early on June 29 to use the bathroom.

She said she gave birth instead and went to wake her boyfriend, Gregory Crawford, a 30-year-old construction worker.

Police said Crawford told them that by the time he went into the bathroom and lifted the lid to the toilet, the babies were not moving.

The boyfriend was not charged.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 15:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
oh, yea i guess i should cut back on something.

There you go again. I realize it's ~1500 your time, and you must be bored off your ass, but I think you might just want to try going outside. Weather.com implies the weather is probably quite nice there now.

--------------------

homerstash
Mini Geek
Member # 2829

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 15:12      Profile for homerstash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why go outside when i can watch oprah. [Big Grin]
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 16:53      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
It's called Dragon-Style Humo(u|)r. Sit down, cut back from the caffeine, give it a second look over, and don't make a knee-jerk response. Then, perhaps, it will make sense. Or, if it doesn't, it means I did a shoddy job of it [Razz] .

I originally read that as Dragon's Sly Humor (been a looong day). Either way it works...another subversive little gem from our resident ice dragon. [Wink]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 16:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Xanthine [Smile] .

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 17:04      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, but not all religions believe that birth control is wrong (not even all denominations of Christianity). Otherwise I'd no doubt have a lot more than one kid by now [Big Grin]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 17:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Ahh, but not all religions believe that birth control is wrong (not even all denominations of Christianity). Otherwise I'd no doubt have a lot more than one kid by now [Big Grin]

When I said that, I meant, "by the books." I'm seriously worried about any followers who take that to heart. I think a former cow-orker of mind might have, though, having 3 kids in a little over 2 yrs, and no twins. That poor woman :-/. Nevermind what that might have done to the kids (and disregarding the intellect level thrown in by his genes, or lack thereof).

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 17:32      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:

When I said that, I meant, "by the books." I'm seriously worried about any followers who take that to heart. I think a former cow-orker of mind might have, though, having 3 kids in a little over 2 yrs, and no twins. That poor woman :-/. Nevermind what that might have done to the kids (and disregarding the intellect level thrown in by his genes, or lack thereof).
The thing that ticks me off is there's not even a clear instruction in the Bible that birth control is wrong[1]. Unfortunately, some just take what the church says as gospel without checking it out for themselves.

[1] Well, there is the Old Testament story of Onan, but his sin was not fulfilling a societal responsibility by impregnating his brother's wife. It instead gets twisted to be anti birth-control and anti masturbation

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 17:38      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well dragon if you go "by the books" most protestant denominations are either neutral or fine with birth control. The only religion that I know of that totally condemns it is Catholism.

Hey the methodists even bless it.

Ok so the chart shows that Mormans consider it mostly unacceptable, but they must have a loophole in there somewhere for it not to be condemned.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 18:41      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
everybody join in with me.
There are Jews in the world.
There are Buddhists.
There are Hindus and Mormons, and then
There are those that follow Mohammed, but
I've never been one of them.

I'm a Roman Catholic,
And have been since before I was born,
And the one thing they say about Catholics is:
They'll take you as soon as you're warm.

You don't have to be a six-footer.
You don't have to have a great brain.
You don't have to have any clothes on. You're
A Catholic the moment Dad came,

Because

Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate.

Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate.

Let the heathen spill theirs
On the dusty ground.
God shall make them pay for
Each sperm that can't be found.

Every sperm is wanted.
Every sperm is good.
Every sperm is needed
In your neighbourhood.

Hindu, Taoist, Mormon,
Spill theirs just anywhere,
But God loves those who treat their
Semen with more care.

Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate.

Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is good.
Every sperm is needed
In your neighbourhood!

Every sperm is useful.
Every sperm is fine.
God needs everybody's.
Mine! And mine! And mine!

Let the Pagan spill theirs
O'er mountain, hill, and plain.
God shall strike them down for
Each sperm that's spilt in vain.

Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is good.
Every sperm is needed
In your neighbourhood.

Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite iraaaaate!

as for my stance on abortion, i dont intend to disclose it in detail as this is started by what seems to me to be a semi-literate troll, so ill just leave it that i am pro-choice.

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
homerstash
Mini Geek
Member # 2829

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 19:43      Profile for homerstash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whats a troll?

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture