homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Radio Shack Sucks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Radio Shack Sucks
mdee2004
Geek Larva
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted June 28, 2004 02:56      Profile for mdee2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time I go into Radio Shack I never fail to have my intelligence offended after asking the store clerk a question. I am an Electrical Engineering grad who doesn't know where everything in the store is so whenever I ask one of these flunkies where something as simple as a solder kit (a kit the contains parts, a circuit board, and solder that you put together) of course the tie wearing empty headed retail scrub takes me directly to the soldering irons and says "Here they are." There was no kit to be found in the whole store of course since Radio Shack seems to slowly be phasing out things like soldering irons in favor of filling their shelves with products made by the anti-christ of consumer brands RCA. You don't need an EE to tell you that RCA, GE, and Proscan (all the same company) suck just check consumer reports magazine.

I could go on and on about the times I've had to deal with these cell phone hocking morons but I'll leave it at the most recent attack on my intelligence.

One other thing is that quite often the store clerks go for the manly approach giving you the "Hey chief" greeting when you walk in the door as if to say "Oh, we're all manly men here in a manly store of electronics." I find this retail paid schmuck to be as manly as a 10 year old little girl because chances are he doesn't know anything about half the merchandise in the store. Of course a lot of these things apply to other electronics retail chains but that's a rant for another time.

Phew, sorry for the long post but I needed to get that off my chest.

--------------------
Bass lines are at their best when they are played by a bass.

Posts: 26 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan!
Geek
Member # 1261

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2004 03:11      Profile for Alan!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in perth, so i've never experienced a radio shack store. however, i must say that they do make quality components, especially cables. A had a thick, well-made radio-shack rca to 3.5mm jack cable (stolen by the choirboys incidentally), which i wanted to get replaced.

radio shack usa told me they don't ship outside of america [Frown]

I'd hate to work in sales.

--------------------
Alan!

Two rabbis, a priest, and an awkward silence after there's no intelligible punch line to this joke, walk into a bar.

Posts: 219 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2004 06:14      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Radio Shack used to be a great place to shop until the mid to late 80s. They had employees that actually knew their stuff and could tell you how to do just about anything dealing with electronics and hi-fi equipment and actually loved what they were doing. And they sold quality products, I still have a pair of speakers that I bought in 1984 that I use as my main speakers on my stereo system. Nowadays anyone can walk in there and get a job without any knowledge of electronics.

You can find the kits you are looking for at places such as this. I remember getting quite of few of these in the 70s as gifts that my parents bought from radio shack. Fun projects.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2004 06:37      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan!:
I'm in perth, so i've never experienced a radio shack store. however, i must say that they do make quality components, especially cables. A had a thick, well-made radio-shack rca to 3.5mm jack cable (stolen by the choirboys incidentally), which i wanted to get replaced.

radio shack usa told me they don't ship outside of america [Frown]

I'd hate to work in sales.

Wasn't our Tandy the Radio Shack equivalent here? (Before they got bought out by Dick Smith, that is) Besides, I do all my electronics related shopping at jaycar, they're the most reasonable place around price-wise, and the staff I've come across so far really know their stuff. Actually, my 5.1 surround speaker system came from them, and it truly kicks butt, especially for the $AU 1000 I paid for it.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan!
Geek
Member # 1261

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2004 10:36      Profile for Alan!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey, didn't dick smith buy tandy? tandy definitely used to stock radio-shack stuff. yeh jaycar is great, as is altronics; you guys should have a couple of new stores over there now.

all i know is that i can't buy small quality cables anymore!

--------------------
Alan!

Two rabbis, a priest, and an awkward silence after there's no intelligible punch line to this joke, walk into a bar.

Posts: 219 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2004 13:36      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an interesting encounter at a Radio Shack a while back. I'd gone to get some thin wire and magnets to fiddle with an idea I had. Of course they don't have that stuff out in the open, the majority of the store is devoted to cell phones and other consumer electronics. So I had to ask if they still had stuff like that around, turns out they did but they had to slide some displays around in a back corner of the store to expose the kinds of things I was looking for. Anyway I picked up a few spools of wire, some neodynium magnets and a few LEDs of varied colours and went to pay for them. So the guy rings the stuff up slowly and I give him my credit card, which has my picture on it, and he examines it for about a minute before asking to see my drivers' license. I think the guy thought I was gonna build a bomb or something. Eventually I got everything paid for and went on my way but I could still sense them staring me as I left.

[EDIT: Crap! I've been hanging around you brits too much, I'm starting to spell things oddly.]

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2004 18:06      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan!:
hey, didn't dick smith buy tandy? tandy definitely used to stock radio-shack stuff.

Thats what I thought. I don't remember seeing an announcement, but all of a sudden Tandy's product range became identical to DSEs, including the store brand stuff.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2004 18:54      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus:
[QB Anyway I picked up a few spools of wire, some neodynium magnets and a few LEDs of varied colours and went to pay for them. So the guy rings the stuff up slowly and I give him my credit card, which has my picture on it, and he examines it for about a minute before asking to see my drivers' license. I think the guy thought I was gonna build a bomb or something. [/QB]

1. Did you buy a big red 7-segment LED countdown display? If not, it can't have been for a bomb. [Wink]

2. I used to love going into electronic supply places with Mrs Druid. She's a jeweller, and a while back she was using brightly coloured electrical wire in her work, the really fine stuff that you usually have to take a transformer apart to get. Anyway, it was fun to watch the sales-droids reaction when she pointed at a little transformer and asked what colours they were available in. They'd put on their best patronising voice and carefully explain to the 'clueless woman' that colour didn't matter, they all had exactly the same electrical characteristics...... [Wink]

Mrs Druid is a technology teacher, she's forgotton more about electrickery than most of those sales-droids will ever know.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10434 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.