homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Just one more go... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Just one more go...
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2004 18:21      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you think is the most addictive computer/video game ever?

Personally I find that they become less compelling as they get graphically more sophisticated. As an example for me no FPS has ever got close to the pure adrenaline rush of the first Doom. Perhaps your imagination works best in the gaps between the pixels

And I still think the crack cocaine of all these games is PacMan.
(Warning do not follow the link above unless you have far too much time on your hands)

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2004 19:35      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Koules. Sadly to say I'm addicted to that little game. It's like a mini-bumper car game right on my desktop.
Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2004 20:16      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for me it was diablo2. very very addicting, and yes graphics dont matter, especially given counter strikes popularity.

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2004 20:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
for me it was diablo2. very very addicting, and yes graphics dont matter, especially given counter strikes popularity.

Man, I lost a friend to Diablo2. Probably one of my best friends in freshman year, he got so caught up in d2 that he pretty much flunked out. (I heard later on from him that he's in the state school now.) I played it a number of times in his room, and I rather liked it - 'tis a damn good thing I didn't have a Windows computer [Razz] . I'm actually kind of thinking of picking up the really cheap d2 pack from a store (Staples or Microcenter [next time I'm out on the island - awesome store]), and running it on my Linux workstation/server (667 P3 as compared to my Celery 366 laptop) under Wine, as I understand it's supported reasonably well.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted June 08, 2004 21:54      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asteroids rock!
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2004 23:05      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Defender was mine.....back in the day.

Later it was Robotron.

There are flash versions of these games but it is just not the same [ohwell]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2004 23:07      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a few classics that I keep going back to:

Qix (I have the original Game Boy & NES carts of this one)
Satans Hollow (this is on the GCN version of Midway Arcade Treasures)

But my #1 has to be Galaga ! (this one I have for the GBA on the Namco museum cart.)

Also up there is Tapper, Bubbles and oh yes how could I forget Robotron! All of these are on the Midway collection too. Cant wait for volume 2 it has Wizard of Wor!

Just tonight I finally finished The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker after playing it on and off for over a year. And yesterday I bought the re-release of the the 1st Zelda Game for the GBA. This I have never played but my wife has the orig NES cartridge.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 09, 2004 02:06      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, it has to be Deus Ex. That game was almost my downfall, searching for perfection (go all the way through without killing who it isn't absolutely necessary to) while I should have been working. Luckily, a power cut screwed my hard drive, and although I'd backed up the saved games I couldn't reinstall onto the new disk as I'd given the CD to a friend to borrow (which he still hasn't returned). So I revised instead, and passed.

This time round with exams its Unreal Tourney (original) which a (different) friend gave me after I lost my first copy somewhere in my room [Big Grin]

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2004 02:25      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worst ever game addiction for me was Ultima Online way back when it first came out. I played that game every possible chance I got for a few years til about the end of my freshman year. I got into collecting rare items, I had a tower on a secluded penninsula and high level characters, unique bits of armor and such. *sigh* Every once in a while I still wish I could go back but only if it were the way it was then.

Currently I'm hooked on Diablo 2 (whenever I can manage it). Blizzard released a new patch for it in february which includes new uniques and set items, new runewords and a new world event. And even more recently: there's a mac OS X native installer [Wink] you know you need it. [evil] I feel like drug dealer now hehe.

If anyone's interested I'm on US West, just got my barbarian up to lvl 64 tonight.

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2004 03:35      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tetris. On the game boy. That little sucker was so addictive.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2004 05:34      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been playing a lot of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. It's free, runs natively on Linux, and looks awesome on my 19 inch flat screen.

When Neverwinter Nights first came out on AOL [I forget the year, but I was young], I played it religiously. I once ran up a huge AOL bill on my parents because of it. I've also spent time addicted to Freecell, Diablo, Diablo 2, Quake II [all back in my Windows days], Frozen Bubble and Klickety.

EDIT: 200th post. Woo-hoo.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2004 07:12      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the best games I've ever known were from magazine demo disks (back in the day when loads of really good sh*t was to be had on the covers! [ohwell] ) - there was a great little rally game where you could run over the sheep - and it let you time your laps - which is a recipe for disaster if you actually want a life (you can imagine the hours spent trying to complete the perfect lap). Also, the Superkarts demo I got somewhere - tons better than the £10 boxed game I bought later (supposedly the same version).

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2004 10:55            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any Civilization-type game. No question in my mind. That's the kind of game where I can start playing at 6:00 PM, and, the next thing I know, "Hey...isn't that the sun rising?" [Eek!] [crazy]

(Yes, I do wind up going to war an awful lot in those games. But only when the other civilizations start pissing me off, such as by doing a "sneak attack," or when I ask them to withdraw their troops from my territory and they respond by declaring war. My response in those cases: "Bring it on!" Peace through superior firepower, man. [evil] )

IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2004 11:04      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Tetris. On the game boy. That little sucker was so addictive.

Tetris. On the original NES, for me. The Game Boy one is nice, but a little too small for my taste.

Second in the list is Heroes of Might and Magic III (or IV, but not so much). Even though I suck at it, I will still play for hours and hours...

You know, weirdly enough, working as a game tester has kind of broken me of video game addiction -- I don't spend nearly the same amount of time playing them as I used to...after playing videos games for 8 hours straight, the last thing I want to do when I get home is play some more. [Razz]

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2004 11:20      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diablo [1] was my first addiction. I played it religiously, and pwnt it too. Then, then came The Realm. I sucked at the realm, I sucked religiously at the realm. I mean, I deserved a best blow job award in The Realm. Then... then came my first Love.

Ultima Online. I played it just as OSI servers were going out of style and a few renegades decided to emulate the server software and they made free servers. Then, 2 years ago I began my OWN free server. Then I... well... just lost interest. Ultima Online, I was never good at it, I was just good at making it good for other people. Oh well... I'm not a big time gamer.

Then came my second love. Dark Age of Camelot. Which, I still play religiously, but, it CANNOT run under Linux, unfortunately. It's the only thing I use Windows for, the only reason why I dual boot. Which, that says A LOT about the game.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2004 12:21      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooo, ooo, how could I forget Frozen Bubble? That game is so addictive I even got a staunch pro-MS mate to use Morphix on his laptop *just* so I could play it. Until the battery ran out [Big Grin] . However, he liked it so much that he kept the disk, and now actually trusts OSS on his laptop, which he refused to earlier as it wasn't made by Microsoft and so would make it crash [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2004 12:22      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Literati, but only because puzzle pirates is $10/month.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
GVCarroll
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1346

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2004 14:23      Profile for GVCarroll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turok (the first one) was a big time sucker for me because it was the first console game I'd played since my Atari2600. I used to love shooting guys in the neck and watch the blood gushing out their jugular as they stumbled to the ground. I like my FPS's gory, I'm sick I know. [Wink]

I could see myself getting addicted to these MMPG online, like SW Galaxies and Matrix Online, but I don't have the PC or processor to run them, and it's just as well.

Other than that I'm a classic gaming junkie. Ms Pac-Man and Millipede mostly.

Posts: 30 | From: Maine | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2004 00:34      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, SO many to choose from.

People have already mentioned Ulima Online. Go back to the best.....Ultima IV and Ultima V. I must have spent months of my life playing these. Good thing this was before I had any exams of consequence.

Or The Bards Tale. Must have completed that 5+ times. Can still remember how to get to the cellar. Past that nasty Samurai!

Currently I'm pretty addicted to
Natural Selection
a HL mod. VERY addictive.

Although for purely replayability, go for Master of Magic, the microprose game. It's old, but still so funky!

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2004 08:27      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GVCarroll:

I could see myself getting addicted to these MMPG online, like SW Galaxies and Matrix Online, but I don't have the PC or processor to run them, and it's just as well.

sw galaxies was horrible, and judging from the movies, i doubt the matrix game will be that good

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2004 09:00      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nethack, Civilization, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, and the Angband family. Not necessarily in that order.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2004 19:13      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
nethack, Civilization, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, and the Angband family. Not necessarily in that order.

Wow, nethack. That's oldskool, Greycat. [Smile] You know, I actually refuse to buy Alpha Centauri because I know that I'll get addicted to it, and I can't afford that right now... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2004 19:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flashfire:
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:

Wow, nethack. That's oldskool, Greycat. [Smile] You know, I actually refuse to buy Alpha Centauri because I know that I'll get addicted to it, and I can't afford that right now... [Big Grin]
Apropos of absolutely nothing...
Flashfire, I just checked out your comic - very, cool!!! [Big Grin] [thumbsup] I was glued to my swivel chair as I read through the whole series.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2004 10:57      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snood.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2004 11:11      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:
Snood.

NOooooooooo! Not that flaming piece of adware filled crap! Admittedly I hear it's quite addictive, and I've never played it, but from the bottom of my [spy||ad]ware hating heart, I implore people to not install this on their computers.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture