homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Recipes! Recipes! Recipes! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Recipes! Recipes! Recipes!
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 10 posted April 14, 2004 09:59      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ho kay... so here is de deal...

I was hungry this after noon, so I got up to cook something... then I realized, I don't know how to cook! So, I learned how to cook scrambled eggs from our very own MacManKrisK, and that's what I ate, but, I need more than scrambled eggs. I know that JustJess made some fudge one time that was muy apetitoso, and I know that there has to be some good recipes out there in Geekland, I mean, after all, Gastronomy IS science!.. err... art... or... something like that... Recipes!

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 10:05      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what do you like to eat?
what don't you like to eat?

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 10:09      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dunno, I like all kinds of things, this is mainly just one of those "Completely Random Thread"'s but it's now a "Completely Random Receipt" Thread.

I like cheese.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 10:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
what do you like to eat?

Man, you're just playing 2 Questions today, aren't you, mate?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 10:12      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We get off topic fast....RECIPES!

--------------------

cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 10:16      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:

I like cheese.

of course. everyone likes cheez. cheez is cool. cheez is the ultimate. the answer to life is within cheez.

btw, i guess you're not too cool to eat?

[Big Grin] (cheezi grin)

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 10:19      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
what do you like to eat?

Man, you're just playing 2 Questions today, aren't you, mate?
funny you should say that.

i went to a seminar on distressed M&A last night. it was given by an HLHZ banker, who started out as a theologian and spent a lot of time in a tibetan ashram with a buddhist rinpoche. the rinpoche said one day (after about 18 hours of meditation):

- you in the west have it wrong. you are always asking "who am i?", and "where am I going?". you should be asking "what am i doing?", and "how am i doing it?"

true story

--------------------

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 10:41      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine's random stir fry:
- a small puddle of cooking oil
- one or two gloves of freshly pressed garlic (though a few shakes of garlic powder will also do)
- a few shakes of random seasonings (I prefer cumin, curry powder, fennel seeds, ginger, and cloves, or you can substiture the curry and fennel with five spice)
- random chopped veggies (I usually go with onions, mushrooms, carrots, green pepper, and broccoli; spinach if I'm feeling bold and Talkeetna has been quiet lately)
- chopped extra firm tofu (can use nuts as a substitue but you gotta get that protein)
- soy sauce
- sesame seeds if you're feeling bold

Through the seasonings, oil, garlic, onions, and mushroom in a pan and stir fry until the onions look kinda clear, then add the rest of the veggies and tofu as well as some more seasoning and, if it looks like stuff is getting burned, a spoonful of water. Stir fry until cooked (the broccoli will turn a deep emerald green). When it's almost done, add the soy sauce and sesame seeds.

Serve over rice or noodles.

To cook rice in a sauce pan:
1 volume rice
2 volumes water
Cover and boil off the water and voila, cooked rice. You kinda need to pay attention or else the rice will burn. Don't be surprised if it boils over.

To cook noodles: RTFP (Read The Fscking Package)

Start the rice, then the stir fry. It takes about twenty minutes start to finish. More of a dinner than a snack but whatever.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 10:42      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...you in the west have it wrong. you are always asking "who am i?", and "where am I going?". you should be asking "what am i doing?", and "how am i doing it?"...

I still don't understand what that has to do with motorcycle maintenance?
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 10:49      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try this:

1. LIGHTLY Butter both sides of an untoasted slice of bread.

2. Cut aproximate a 3/4"-1" (use your judgement here) square out of a piece of the center of aforementioned bread.

3. place in 6" skillet over medium heat.

4. Crack one egg (per slice of bread) into the hole you cut out of the bread and cook rotating occasionally 'till the bread is slightly toasted and the egg is cooked (over-easy. Do Not Scramble Egg!)

5. Place one slice of cheese (or more) on one side of egg/toast and allow to melt for a few seconds.

6. Remove from heat and eat.

Note: Goes very well with papas, churizo, churizo/egg and makes for a great 6.5 min snack alone.

Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 10:51      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looking good so far... keep up the...RECIPES!!

--------------------

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 11:18      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-Cooking oil
-1 lb. of ground beef/chicken
-1 cup cheese
-1 cup shredded lettuce
-1/2 tomato
-3 corn tortillas
-garlic
-union
-salt
-pepper
-lawry's season salt
-garlic salt

1. In medium skillet, bring 1 cup of cooking oil to a boil.

2. fry corn tortillas in oil till they begin to become hard. Flip tortilla and using tongs, "half" and prop up the side of tortilla. (making taco shells)

3. Continue to fry in oil till shells reach desired crispness.

4. Mince one little thingy of garlic.

4. Season 1 lb. of ground beef/chicken by mixing the minced garlic, 1/6 cup chopped union, 1/3 cup chopped tomato, lightly salt with garlic salt and lawry's.

5. Bring ground meat to a brown.

6. Combine meat, cheese, lettuce and tomato in taco shell.

7. Eat.

Note: all measurements are estimations and should be taken with a grain of salt.

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 11:26      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...goes to kitchen...
Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 11:33      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grey's pasta sauce (definitely an artery clogger):

1 large can (28 oz?) crushed tomatoes, in puree
approx. 1 half onion, diced
approx. 1/2 lb. of sliced prosciutto, cut into small pieces
a few teaspoons of olive oil
1/2 stick of unsalted butter or to taste
a few tablespoons basil or to taste (I use Polaner brand, pre-chopped in olive oil)
salt and pepper to taste
a small can or two of tomato sauce may be added, if a thicker consistency is desired

-lightly saute the onions in the olive oil until almost translucent, add proscuitto and continue sauteing until the prosciutto has softened
-add the crushed tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper, then tomato sauce if desired (in that order), stir
-allow to cook for approx. 10 minutes for flavors to blend and check seasonings, adjust if necessary
-add butter to sauce - the sauce may be pink. It should look like this. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
-allow sauce to cook for approx. 20 minutes.

Sometimes I double the amount of crushed tomatoes and proscuitto, sneak in a little extra butter, and freeze the leftovers. To use the leftovers, while the sauce is still frozen, I just chip off what I need - really easy and convenient if I'm only cooking for myself. I encourage you to play around with the quantities and ingredients until you get the combination that tastes best to you. It's really just a basic sauce, so you can omit what doesn't work for you (for ex., the meat). A friend "copied" it from a local Italian restaurant.

Serve the sauce over a short, thick/chunky pasta such as rigatoni or ziti rigati. Makes a great meal with a salad and garlic bread.

Easy garlic bread:

-take a loaf of italian bread and slice lengthwise
-spread crushed garlic (to taste) over the loaf -Polaner sells garlic pre-crushed in olive oil, just like the basil mentioned above
-spray loaf with butter or butter substitute(one American brand is "I can't believe it's not butter")
-sprinkle loaf with parmesan or romano cheese (if desired), then a good amount of finely grated part-skim mozzerella.
-bake loaf in a 400 degree oven until cheese melts and slightly browns

I can't believe I've done this. I must be insane. I have never shared my pasta sauce recipe before.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 11:36      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 11:36      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
...you in the west have it wrong. you are always asking "who am i?", and "where am I going?". you should be asking "what am i doing?", and "how am i doing it?"...

how can you adjust your tappets if you aren't concentrating on what you're doing, and how you're doing it?

--------------------

Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 11:40      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh. I did it again. Meant to edit and duplicated a post. Sorry, gang.
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 11:51      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

how can you adjust your tappets if you aren't concentrating on what you're doing, and how you're doing it?
You keep my tappets out of this!
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 11:53      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:

Ha, ha... you're rubbish you are! [Smile]
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 12:01      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Not after offering my secret pasta recipe, I'm not. [Wink]
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 12:08      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Serve the sauce over a short, thick/chunky pasta such as rigatoni or ziti rigati. Makes a great meal with a salad and garlic bread.

Easy garlic bread:

-take a loaf of italian bread and slice lengthwise
-spread crushed garlic (to taste) over the loaf -Polaner sells garlic pre-crushed in olive oil, just like the basil mentioned above
-spray loaf with butter or butter substitute(one American brand is "I can't believe it's not butter")
-sprinkle loaf with parmesan or romano cheese (if desired), then a good amount of finely grated part-skim mozzerella.
-bake loaf in a 400 degree oven until cheese melts and slightly browns

I can't believe I've done this. I must be insane. I have never shared my pasta sauce recipe before.

Wow, I feel honored. [Smile]

Anyway, I was really writing this to add a couple "improvements" to the garlic bread...I do the same basic thing, except I use sourdough bread (extra sour is best), and broil it instead of baking. It only takes about 2 1/2 minutes under the broiler, though, so you have to watch it carefully.

If you just want a quick snack, you can use individual sandwich rolls instead of the huge loaf. Yum...

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 12:22      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not after offering my secret pasta recipe, I'm not. [Wink]
<pedant>
It's like, not really that secret anymore is it?
</pedant>

Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 12:23      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have a real, honest-to-goodness recipe to share -- it's a little ingredient-intensive, but worth it:

Popovers

-3 tablespoons butter or margarine
-3 eggs
-1 cup milk
-1 cup flour
-1/2 teaspoon salt

First, be sure to melt the butter. It's important. Then, preheat the oven to 375 (random tangent: why is there no "degree" symbol on a computer keyboard?). Find a medium-sized bowl and beat the eggs until frothy. It helps to have an electric mixer for this, but a plain ol' fashioned egg beater works just as well. It'll take about 1 minute of mixing, or so. After that, add the milk and (melted) butter, keep mixing. Then add the flour and salt. Mix until smooth.

Pour the batter into (and I cannot stress this part enough) well-greased muffin-pan cups until each is about 2/3 full. Bake about 40 minutes, then pull them out, cut a slit in the top of each one, and bake for about 10 minutes more. Pull 'em out, let 'em sit another 5 minutes, then remove and eat. If you're lucky, and used enough grease, the muffins will pop out intact. If you're not, you'll be left with little muffin shreds and a very messy pan. This I know from experience...

--Flash, who normally doesn't cook anything that doesn't come in a box with a sauce packet

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 12:26      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
<pedant>
It's like, not really that secret anymore is it?
</pedant>

It was until now.

[Razz]

Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 14:17      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is also the Vegetarian Recipe Thread .
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture