homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Killer Drones and Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Killer Drones and Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics
Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted April 01, 2004 09:28      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came across this in my browsing today. Although technologically interesting that the military has developed unmannned killing machines, it begs the question; whatever happened to the Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics.... I know they aren't real laws, but I truly believe they are good ones.

anyhow here's the link to the article.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,62893,00.html

Isaac Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics"

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

TiW

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 10:02      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aha, I see you are a calvinist who does not beleive in the zeroth law then

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 10:20      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought this was going to be about the new film, "I, robot". The trailer looks as though some of the laws might be violated in that flick!
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 10:23      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alephcat:
aha, I see you are a calvinist who does not beleive in the zeroth law then

Actually that brings up a good question....

Which is better, a law that protects the social mass, or an individual? Zeroth law clearly is for the benefit of society, and thus being more to the benefit of society to exploit such laws.

I don't know. However I believe that a law should protect people, but should not become self-serving especially to the point of exploitation. Zeroth's law allows the military to justify it's principals to protect 'humanity', but exploits the technology for it's own self-serving purposes to protect their 'scope' of humanity from another person. However this does not say that Zeroth's law shouldn't apply to nanotechnology, where we are teaching and training robots to protect humanity, from other harmful species such as bacterium or viruses.

I believe in Zeroth's law, but it's too broad and easily exploited. Lets just say, I believe more in the first 3 laws and agree there is a basis for the Zeroth law as an addendum.

TiW

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 15:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first report I read about these killer drones actually killing someone was from Afghanistan.

A dozen or so people were blown into unidentifiable bits because one of them was very tall, and Ossama bin-Laden is very tall.

Sadly, we can't even blame the stupid robot for that one, the decision to kill was made by a human (using the term loosely).

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2004 01:34      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ofcourse you have to use the term human loosly when talking about any one from the american militery.

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2004 07:06      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I watched CNN the other day I saw a short clip
where they had attached a "Hellfire" missle under
each wing of a RQ-1 Predator drone.(wicked a missle as they make those) Sad that some can only see destruction as a creative process and exploit any technology for that end, when the same effort could produce something of benefit.

eDJ

--------------------
I don't give a shit...I don't take any shit. I'm not in the shit business.

Posts: 131 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2004 10:07      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
ofcourse you have to use the term human loosly when talking about any one from the american militery.

I have no great and overwhelming love for the military as an organization, but I am deeply offended at the insult that you just offered to some people that I care very much about. It's awfully easy to point at the uniform and generalize. But don't forget that the human being in that uniform is someone's brother, sister, father, mother, friend, or lover.

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2004 15:51      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I watched CNN the other day I saw a short clip
where they had attached a "Hellfire" missle under
each wing of a RQ-1 Predator drone.(wicked a missle as they make those) Sad that some can only see destruction as a creative process and exploit any technology for that end, when the same effort could produce something of benefit.

eDJ

--------------------

eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 8 posted April 02, 2004 15:53      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How in the samwhang does this keep happening!

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2004 15:57      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SupportGoddess:
quote:

I have no great and overwhelming love for the military as an organization, but I am deeply offended at the insult that you just offered to some people that I care very much about. It's awfully easy to point at the uniform and generalize. But don't forget that the human being in that uniform is someone's brother, sister, father, mother, friend, or lover.
Don't lose sight of the fact that that person is being paid and trained to kill someone elses brother, sister, father, mother, friend, or lover. [ohwell]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2004 16:22      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

In any war in any place and any time the atrocities go both ways. I don't know where you're from, but I'm willing to lay a lot of money on there being blood on the hands of your people as well as mine.
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2004 20:53      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I didn't raise my boy to be a soldier,
I brought him up to be my pride and joy
Who dares to place a musket on his shoulder
To shoot some other mother's darling boy?"

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Frost
Geek
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted April 04, 2004 04:24      Profile for Frost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 Use the term human loosely when refering to any military
2 Yes the person is somebodys son, brother etc. but...
3 They are being paid and trained to kill somebodys son, brother, etc...
4 Wouldn't it be better if we just called the whole thing off? [Smile]

--------------------
Success requires no explanations, Failure permits no alibis.

Posts: 217 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 05, 2004 02:06      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I don't know where you're from, but I'm willing to lay a lot of money on there being blood on the hands of your people as well as mine.

He's from just down the road from me, and you're probably not wrong...
Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2004 03:40      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nekomatic:
quote:
I don't know where you're from, but I'm willing to lay a lot of money on there being blood on the hands of your people as well as mine.

He's from just down the road from me, and you're probably not wrong...
She's definitely right.
I've seen the Manchester United fans after losing a game... [Wink]

Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 05, 2004 05:40      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
damn! I knew I had not found all the tapes! [Wink]

--------------------

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted April 05, 2004 16:38      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... it never ends .....

since "all" soldiers are "baby-killers", why not go around to veterans of WWII and say "how does it feel to be a baby-killer?" or maybe talk to their children and say "it must be horrible having a baby-killer for a father."

I haven't taken the time, but does anyone know a "great nation" that never had an army and still exists?

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2004 16:48      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
I haven't taken the time, but does anyone know a "great nation" that never had an army and still exists?

Yep!

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 06, 2004 09:54      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Canadian Army Home Page
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/home.asp

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2004 10:04      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
The Canadian Army Home Page
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/home.asp

Hehehe, that's not the point. We laugh about our Canadian military, here, but I think if we truly were to be invaded for our beer, maple syrup or our other natural resources, I'm sure the general populous would take up arms with our 20+ million unregistered firearms. [crazy]

We are a nation of apologetic folks, but don't dare touch our beer.

I am Canadian!

TiW

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2004 10:06      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

He's from Chester - down there they're far more likely to have kebab grease on their hands. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2004 15:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:

He's from Chester - down there they're far more likely to have kebab grease on their hands. [Wink]
Well, they say it's kebab grease. [blush] [Eek!]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Democritus the Minor
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2620

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted April 08, 2004 09:23      Profile for Democritus the Minor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make fun all you want, but I wouldn't fsck with the canadian army... especially in a city battle. The only person to ever beat Carlos Hathcock's 2500 yard kill was a Canadian sniper, using probably the same model .50 cal rifle as Carlos. That isn't easy for me to say... I was a week away from joining the Marine Corps.

so... Doon't be slight'n those Canats, eh?

--------------------
We are 1447. We are better than 1337.

Posts: 42 | From: Chicago 'Burbs | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture