homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » The Million Nerd March !

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Million Nerd March !
eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 6 posted March 23, 2004 13:21      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Page 11 of March 29 issue of The Weekly World News
touts the Geeks rally to march on Washington DC.
Baltimore MD. based group "Respect for Nerds" expects 2.5 million nerds to join force and march on the Capitol on June 5 2004.

Although I've have searched, their web presence
eludes me. Mr. Desmond Wheckler is the co chairman of the organization and proves equally
obscure.

The primace of the march is for changes to the platform of the GOP. This group has grown tired of the condescending attitudes of Bush and his "macho" orientation. The geeks have outlined
a 22 point list of demands which they hope will
garner them more respect when set in policy.

Certainly it could add an intrguing dimension to a cartoon strip with the coming of spring....a virtual Geeks on the road to Washington.
"Bat Boy" is already the Weekly World News' flagship cartoon strip, so I doubt they will
incorperate it as they have the boy hunting for
Osama presently. Of course there is nothing to suggest he couldn't show up in another strip somewhere. Hey...virtual ink is cheap.

eDJ

--------------------
I don't give a shit...I don't take any shit. I'm not in the shit business.

Posts: 131 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2004 14:23      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
..Interesting..if a bit self-indulgent...

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
icee_donut
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2623

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 05:15      Profile for icee_donut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can understand that, it's about time nerds/geeks had some respect. We're just like any other group except we're smarter than them. Hehe, we could start a league of evil genius' like Dr Evil. Hmm... I've said too much...

--------------------
so beats the final coda... of a vinyl storm... one more cherry cola... to lift up her dead arms

Posts: 13 | From: Adelaide | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 10:30      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well whats respect worth? Is the respct of Bush worth anything?

Any idea what these 22 points are though?

Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 11:31      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was able to garner 5 of the points/demands from the article but I'm sure the rest will be enumerated in time. Perhaps the organizations web presence is in the making as we speak.

So, for the 5 I can speak of:

1) Appointment of a new cabinent-level secretary of science.

2) Quadruple funding for mathematics and basic science research

3) Sex education classes, must teach teen girls
that brainy scientist and computer wizards are more desirable mates than the hard bodied athleats, rock stars, and fighter pilots "who will probably end up hurting them."

4) Make sensitivity classes manditory for all bullies-including not only school age meanies, but
overbearing bosses.

5) Slap a Federal ban on communal showers.

These were mentioned in the text. I personally lean toward a more subjective stance on the fifth point, but that is only salient to my having discgression in the choice of whom I shower with.
Otherwise it's just soap on a rope for me baby!

eDJ

--------------------
I don't give a shit...I don't take any shit. I'm not in the shit business.

Posts: 131 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 13:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eDJ:

Speaking as one who got seriously fscked over by the latest round of NIH budget cuts, I'm all for that one.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 14:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
Originally posted by eDJ:

Speaking as one who got seriously fscked over by the latest round of NIH budget cuts, I'm all for that one.
Stop complaining, that new fleet of stealth bombers has to be paid for somehow, and the crushing burden of taxation on the rich must be reduced.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 14:40      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me gives TFD the finger

Sorry, really sore point right now. As things currently stand, the lab I wanted to join can't take me because their funding for RNA projects got cut, I don't want to join any of the other labs I've rotated in thus far for a variety of reasons and the other lab I'd like to join might not be able to take anyone, let alone someone who didn't get a rotation with them. So I'm essentially fscked, and a little bit afraid. What if I can't find a spot anywhere? This has been keeping me awake at night.

<rant>God damn Bushl and his motherfucking warmongering to hell! He's driving this country into the ground and people are taking it like bitches with their legs spread, screaming for more. If I didn't know that the protest marches held in this country were making it onto international news I'd be so ashamed of my country I'd emigrate. As things currently stand, I'm still ashamed but not to that extreme.

I wish you could earmark your tax dollars for certain causes. That way anyone who didn't want to see this country fight illegal and immoral wars wouldn't have to pay for it. maybe then the government would pull their heads out of their butts and stop thinking with their dicks.</rant>

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 15:00      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If I didn't know that the protest marches held in this country were making it onto international news I'd be so ashamed of my country I'd emigrate.

I know the feeling, in many ways we aussies have more to be ashamed of than USians, at least you're not sentencing babies to life imprisonment. But where to emigrate to?

Spain maybe?
Canada?
New Zealand?

<Elrond>
Our list of friends grows thin.
</Elrond>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 15:15      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canada.

Or maybe NZ, but I'd have to visit first.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 17:19      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NZ mightn't be a bad choice, actually. Sort of like Australia, but better (less Bush-arse-kissing, better copyright laws, excellent scenery, LOTR movies, etc).

/me hoping fellow Aussies aren't going to hunt me down and shoot me for suggesting that NZ might have more to offer than Australia.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 17:32      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about sunny Mexico?

--------------------
When the W'rkncacnter came, Pthia was killed, and Yrro in anger, flung the W'rkncacnter into the sun. The sun burned them, but they swam on its surface.

Posts: 499 | From: Upon the slab, Unbroken. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2004 06:35      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Cyclops:
What about sunny Mexico?

or Deutchland? You wont be able to get subsidised liderhosen anymore, but there will still be plenty of beer.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2004 20:00      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to say Canada. Move up closer to my friends in BC and Live in peace next to that guy with the lawn mower. [thumbsup] [Happytears] [thumbsup] [Big Grin]
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2004 20:48      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QB]
Sorry, really sore point right now. As things currently stand, the lab I wanted to join can't take me because their funding for RNA projects got cut, I don't want to join any of the other labs I've rotated in thus far for a variety of reasons and the other lab I'd like to join might not be able to take anyone, let alone someone who didn't get a rotation with them. So I'm essentially fscked, and a little bit afraid. What if I can't find a spot anywhere? This has been keeping me awake at night.
QB]

I'm sorry that things have been going so badly for you lately, I do hope they get worked out soon.

I don't know your field very well, but I remember reading about a project up here in Seattle financed by Paul Allen -- he wants to turn his little pocket of the city (known to us plebians as South Lake Union) into a biotech hub, and is offering a whole lot of money to do so. His main focus, though, is commercial biotech, not pure research, and I'm not sure how you feel about that. If it doesn't bother you, then there are several large firms like Immunex and Zymogenetics who are looking for people right now, but I don't know what areas they're looking for in particular.

Again, I wish you luck in your search for a lab -- if I could, I would direct all my income tax money to scientific research, all umm...$120.67.

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Member # 822

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2004 15:22      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I wish you could earmark your tax dollars for certain causes. That way anyone who didn't want to see this country fight illegal and immoral wars wouldn't have to pay for it. maybe then the government would pull their heads out of their butts and stop thinking with their dicks.

I wish it was like IRAs and stuff, where you can appropriate a percentage of the money you pay in to whatever. Like 30% for NASA and 30% for education, and %10 for transportation, stuff like that.

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
XnavxeMiyyep
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2408

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2004 21:28      Profile for XnavxeMiyyep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drazgal:
Well whats respect worth? Is the respct of Bush worth anything?

Good point! [Wink]

However, I may just try to make it to this march if it actually works out.

Posts: 34 | From: MA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture