homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » SDR Radio and Linux coding help request

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SDR Radio and Linux coding help request
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 08:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SDR Radio and Linux coding help request, There is a USB device, DVB-T, this dongle was developed for the European market to receive terrestrial Digital Video Broadcasts. Well some one figured out that these dongles can be adapted to SDR Software Defined Radio.

The most finished software is HDSDR however this program only runs on WinBlows. There are open source programs, many are very clunky and not very user friendly.

I would like to install HDSDR onto a RaspberryPi, however it uses a linux derivative. Is there a way to get just enough Windows code into and operating with HDSDR?

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5472 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 17:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
The most finished software is HDSDR however this program only runs on WinBlows...

I would like to install HDSDR onto a RaspberryPi, however it uses a linux derivative. Is there a way to get just enough Windows code into and operating with HDSDR?

The usual answer when people want to run a windoze app on Linux is Wine - never used it m'self, but I've heard it works, most of the time.

The problem is, the Raspberry Pi uses a different processor, an ARM11, which is a very nice processor, but it won't run Wine.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10458 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 19:27      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am really looking for battery life during receive, how much currant draw do those NetBooks draw?

I have already found that the the two programs I want to run simultaneously do not play nice with each other. HDSDR outputs to the sound card however Fldigi wants to see the input to the sound card. I may have to run the RBi to handle Fldigi and a netbook to run HDSDR. that is just too many cables and power dongles.

Antenna
#1 Pre-Amp Up/Down Converter Five volts 500Ma
#2 Rtl-SDR plugged into USB Port gets its power from the port.
#3 Netbook/or laptop
#4 RBi Five volts 1000Ma
Four loads plus two screens.
This is too much to keep operating out in the field powered by batteries.

--------------------

Posts: 5472 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2013 18:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD one of my Ham friends sent me an E-Mail about this hams work.

ZR6AIC Setting up my RBI

He is installing SDR# I have used it however it would not be my first choice.

So it appears I will need two RBIs Two Monitors, two sound card dongles, one DVB-T- SDR dongle and one hamitup from noolectric (pre-amp and first stage mixer).

Thanks for informing me that Wine would probably not work on a RBI.

Have a good one today.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2013 07:48      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SDR Update Feb. 07,2013

I have HDSDR up and running, it tunes and does every thing it is claimed that it will do. Now the buts, not very sensitive, in fact quite deaf. I do not know the power output of the National Weather Service Station however I get a very readable signal and was able to calibrate to its signal. assuming that their output is near on the mark. That station is twenty five miles away and several are located around the state so power would be low. I tried to tune the most powerful FM broadcast station in this area that tower is 50+ miles it shows about twice the signal as the NWS.

I also have SDR# (Sharp) running this software appears to be much more sensitive, there are more traces on the waterfall and they tune. However it is clunky and harder to use, The computer I am using is CPU embarrassed, I have found that stopping the codec during frequency band changing is needed, then of course turning the codecs back on. Fine tunning does not cause a problem.

I also bought the nooelec Inc "hamitup" this is supposed to be a PreAmp/100Mhz mixer. So far I have failed in tuning in a HF station 2Mhz-31Mhz. I have been only looking for the additive sums, not the subtractive sigs. I would not recommend this Pre/Amp 100Mhz mixer 160M,80M and 40M all fall in the broadcast FM Band, smart move Nooelec why didn't you chose 98Mhz put it exactly in the middle of the band.

For an antenna I have about 15 ft. of wire following the wall ceiling junction as it goes around the room, just random wire, bent twice.

Trying all of these programs i have hit the ceiling of my data plan so I am throttled for two more days. Until the next billing cycle.

I have not found a Linux decoder that will work with this Dongle.

New topic there is a ham club in the state of Wisconsin that is going to put a floater balloon up, they will be using APRS and the call will be KD9SBD-1 if you sign into Findu.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2013 09:33      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Latest update Feb. 2013

Hello All

Many of you know that an article in QST started my interest in SDR. Back in 2012 I ordered a DVB-T USB Dongle and started experimenting.

The first hurdle was getting the device to work. Do not plug-in the Dongle until the software is ready, Windows will try to install its own drivers. Those drivers are for use in Europe as a TV receiver, You will want specialized drivers to use the device as a radio.

Go to HDSDR and download their software program, then while on their site go to the hardware tab and find the driver for RTL-SDR and save that to your desktop. Now install the program. Then find out where Windows put the program files and put that saved driver in the same folder. Restart your computer and open the Program HDSDR now click the tab ExtIO and set it to RTL-SDR or RTL 2832u. click start you should get an error message. Now plug in the dongle click stop then click start, you may have to go back to ExtIO again to get it going. IF A "FOUND NEW HARDWARE" MESSAGE COMES up stop the search for drivers and click I have disk.

As nice as HDSDR looks it does not have the performance of SDR# (sharp)

Linux users whoooo boy. For Ubuntu and Puppy download and install the QT Creator suite. Then look for GQRX you want the Beta Version the older ones will tell you that your dongle is not a Fun Cube Dongle. gqrx is not as pretty as SDR# or HDSDR however it works.

If you are buying the dongle from Amazon or E-bay pass on the Ham it up IF upconverter. This devise uses a 100Mhz Crystal oscillator and the longer HF bands will be interfered with by broadcast FM 87.9Mhz to 107.9 Mhz pretty much takes out every thing longer than twenty meters. In the Jan Issue of QST there are plans for a better IF up/down converter. I will be building that.

I have found that I can tune Six Meters, The FM Broadcast Band, Two Meters and the Public Safety Bands NWS Police Fire there is a gap about 150Mhz wide at or near 1Ghz I have tuned to my own WiFi router and watched the data burst as I click on a bookmark.

Location The Hill Top at N44 07.417' W083 57.935' Grid Square EN84ac

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2013 10:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears that this is now avail:

SDR TOUCH TURNS TABLET OR PHONE INTO SDR RECEIVER

Does this mean that it could be ported to a RaspBerry Pi?

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2013 21:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

Does having enough computing power ever make a difference. My laptop a WallFart Special Compaq is slightly underpowered. This four core Korean iEi at 3Ghz kicks the old proverbial biblical beast of burden. I have to get some high speed USB port ex-panders. I borrowed the XYL's port expander so I would have enough ports and wow, Pick a signal any signal.

Now to build a pre-amp IF shifter so I can tune the HF bands. Right now I can tune 50Mhz to 900Mhz then 1100Mhz to 5Ghz smooth continuous tuning no jumps or glitches, no waiting for the processor to catchup.

Smokin!

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2013 13:27      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Further update.

I have found that much of the SDR RTL software requires a serious computer, not anymore. Enter the BeagleBone, and Alex Crete.

http://www.oz9aec.net/index.php/beaglebone/480-rtlizerhttp://www.oz9aec.net/index.php/beaglebone/480-rtlizer

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2013 21:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incidentally, BeagleBone is also ARM. I saw an article somewhere about BeagleBone the other day and while it looks interesting, I think if I decide to get something of that form factor/price, it's going to be Raspberry Pi. BeagleBone is more I/O centric than I'd really need, as my forays into robotics many years ago are not ones I care to revisit anytime soon. The new 'Black' model for $45 seems like a pretty good deal, though! That said, I think RPi has a more active user base right now for misc Linux stuff and that's more my area of interest.

If you actually get this thing, I'd definitely be interested to hear how it works out. A 1GHz Linux SoC that's credit-card sized is pretty OK in my book, and furthering this realm is admirable. (Nicely done, Ti!)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9208 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2013 06:12      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman one of the local hams bought the app, for using the RTL-SDR Dongle with his android.

I have two different computers running software that decodes the I-Q data stream, one does poorly the other does very well,

That link was about the old version,

I am thinking that the BeagleBone Black could use the kleps from the various ham satellites and track my dish.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.