homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » iPad Obsolescence (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: iPad Obsolescence
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2012 10:18      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Different segments of a market. The Nook seems neat, and I am considering that or the Fire for a sideload project. But as a standalone table for anyone else, probably not.

Have you considered locating an inexpensive netbook? They can be fairly handy depending on your needs.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
oldwhatsisface
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 46830

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2012 19:29      Profile for oldwhatsisface   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an original iPad, which I gave to a cousin last Christmas, and an iPad 2, which I just gave to my wife, and am now using an iPad "3". All were 3G 64GB top end models. I found the iPad 2 significantly faster than the original version, and a bit lighter and sleeker. On the other hand, the squarish rim on the original iPad made a better mounting point for the charger/adapter cable port and other physical controls than the cut away rounded sides of the iPad 2 & 3.

The original iPad will still run pretty well any apps, though, and is still a nice media access device with a sharp, clear display. The lack of a forward facing camera for Facetime & Skype is it's major drawback, if you use video chat.

I just spent a whole day testing the iPad 2 against the iPad 3, and I honestly can't tell the difference in weight, speed, or display quality. In fact, for the most part, the iPad 2 appeared to have a better display than the iPad 3, improbable as that sounds given the resolution differences and the quad core graphics processor on the new iPad.

I found looking at photos, playing movies or TV shows, and viewing various apps side by side and frame by frame that there was only one app out of nearly 200 tested - Star Walk - that looked noticeably sharper on the iPad 3. And only when viewing the background stars; the photo section actually looked sharper on the iPad 2. In fact, many apps and most books looked sharper on the iPad 2. I am guessing that is because the apps were written for a particular resolution, 1024x768 dpi, and when they are scaled up, or interpolated to fill the larger display area of the iPad 3 instead of occupying only a quarter of it, they look a bit fuzzy, much like iPhone apps expanded to fill the iPad display. You can see the same effect on your desktop display by going to a resolution below the optimal (largest pixel count numbers). The edges of text and objects will look a bit indistinct or fuzzy, not crisp and sharp.

So the ironic result is that the higher resolution display, in my experience, looks more fuzzy and indistinct than the older iPad 1 and 2 displays, which no one was complaining about. I also found the colour saturation and brightness to be better on my iPad 2, particularly in iBooks, although the difference is subtle.

Like everybody else, I have read various reviews claiming that the 'improvement' in resolution and clarity was striking, but I haven't actually found that result in real world side by side testing of photos, movies, and text.

The iPad 3 did not bring the one change I think would be most important: increase the upper storage capacity limit. It is still stuck at 64 GB; unchanged from the original iPad. That really restricts how much audio and video you can store on it for a long trip, for instance.

I think Apple made the wrong choice here: the 'improved' display is at best no better in real world use than the original iPad, and for the most part, fuzzier because of having to interpolate apps intended to be displayed at one quarter that resolution. On the other hand, they could have easily doubled the upper storage limit to 128GB and made the iPad a lot more useful, especially with all the apps that are going to be updated to much higher resolutions so they look better on the iPad 3 display. I noticed that the useable storage capacity of the iPad 2 is listed as 58.4 GB, while the iPad 3 is 57.1 GB, so even without the updated apps eating up the free space, the iPad 3 out of the box has less storage capacity than the iPad 2. In fact, with the identical mix of media and apps on both, the iPad 2 had 9.7 GB of free space, while the iPad 3 had only 3.1 GB!

So the practical effect of the higher resolution display is to shrink the storage capacity by about 7 or 8 percent while making the text and apps look a bit fuzzy in most applications.

The improved backside camera is a welcome improvement, although given it's size the iPad is not really suited for use as a camera except when it is the only one available. As to the 4G, that will not really kick in for some time yet until the carriers get their networks updated, a process that will take years. In the meantime, the 4G card is really running at 3 G speed.

So the bottom line is that if you already have an iPad 2, don't bother 'upgrading' to the iPad 3 as the difference is indistinguishable. But if you are using an original iPad, then the cameras and greater speed would make it a worthwhile upgrade, although the display won't look significantly different.

Terry

--------------------
"The only thing infinite in the universe is the human capacity for stupidity." Albert Einstein

Posts: 2 | From: Surrey, BC, Canada | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2012 22:15      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off, welcome to the forums.

I have to say that is probably the most thorough side by side review between the iPad2 and the newest iPad (3, 2+?). Between what you and dman say I am a bit amiss as to the type of thinking that went into this new version of the iPad. It appears to be an upgrade for the sake of upgrading.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2012 07:36      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was such a helpful review, Terry. Thanks so much for joining GC and sharing your observations about the iPads. You wouldn't happen to have a review of the Kindle Fire vs. Nook tablet lurking around, would you? [Wink]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2012 14:16      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
First off, welcome to the forums.

I have to say that is probably the most thorough side by side review between the iPad2 and the newest iPad (3, 2+?). Between what you and dman say I am a bit amiss as to the type of thinking that went into this new version of the iPad. It appears to be an upgrade for the sake of upgrading.

I think Apple are going for the 24 month upgrade cycle with the iPads the same as with the iPhones. So if you've got an iPad 1, then the new iPad is a pretty good upgrade that gets you the camera, better screen, a decent speed boost and the funkier features such as AirPlay. Whereas if you have an iPad 2, it's a bit of an incremental bump and there aren't too many killer features to make you have to upgrade.

As many people were complaining they had to upgrade every year when Apple brought out new stuff, this should at least make somebody happy [Wink]

With the iPhones of course, this 2 year update cycle is driven by the length of mobile phone contracts, so iPhone 3GS owners who are just coming to the end of their contracts will be looking at the 4S for instance.

One other side feature to this sort of upgrade cycle. If you bought a base spec wifi only iPad 2 and you're thinking you really could do with 3G, that gives you a great excuse to upgrade to the new iPad [Wink]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2012 15:04      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
I learned about the Nook Tablet yesterday. My local library recommends it over the Kindle Fire, but I want it more for portable Internet use than to read books.

What do you guys think about it? Comparable to the iPad in any way?

For what you want, they're probably both fine. Stop in your local Apple store & your local Barnes and Noble and just try them out with the web pages you want to visit. (I assume you can test drive one at Apple, anyway. You definitely can at Barnes and Noble.)

After you've used both, get the one you like better. [Smile]

(I haven't used the iPad or the Nook tablet, but we have first and second edition e-ink Nooks and B&N has been awesome for support, if that's a factor.)

I've been looking with deep longing at the Samsung Galaxy Tabs, myself, but can't really justify it while my Eee is still humming along.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture