homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » USB3

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: USB3
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2011 16:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked up one of these at an office supply place a couple of months ago, $150 for the 3TB drive.

Now while I really like the incredibly low cost/megabyte (it values the first 10M hard drive I owned at 1/20 of a cent) USB2 is slow, it takes a really long time to fill a 3TB drive over USB2, like over 2 days. 3TB is just a bit beyond what's practical over a USB2 link.

So, the other day I went out and bought a USB3 card...

Wow.

My "cheap, big, but slow" external drive is now faster than my internal drive. It wrote a 100G file in 19 minutes, about 4 times the speed of the same test on the same drive using the USB2 port, and a minute faster than the same test on my internal drive.

Suddenly those huge and cheap drives look useful for much more than backups.

Sadly, the USB3 driver on Linux seems a little flaky, so I'm only using it on the Windoze side of the dual-boot fence, but I'm confident the Linux geeks will fix that problem soon.

tl;dr - USB3 is really cool, get it now.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2011 13:26      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fail, Thunderbolt for teh wins!!!11!

I'm due for a new work laptop around December or so. Hopefully it will have USB3, but knowing my luck it won't.

As far as the home machine... Haha, my daughter's about to go to college, who has money to upgrade hardware?

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2011 17:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Apple will sell you a 3TB Thunderbolt series drive for... oh, wait, they don't exist.

2GB models are only $499, though, so TFD was clearly out of his mind paying $150 for a mere 3TB.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2011 20:41      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OT: Congrats TFD, top poster with 10000 posts!
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2011 12:53      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grumpy, I hope you detected my undertone of facetiousness [crazy]

In seriousness, I think a little competition between standards is good, it pushes the state of the art forward. Without Firewire, would there have been a USB3, let alone a USB2?

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2011 23:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
OT: Congrats TFD, top poster with 10000 posts!

Well, I'd better not post anything more then, it would be a shame to ruin that nice round number.

(looks down)

Oh bugger!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2011 00:01      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD: it's okay, now it's a palindrome!!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2011 15:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And until you hit 10,200 [and 11k], you'll have a few binary post counts...such as this one. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture