homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » e-readers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: e-readers
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2011 03:03      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got to do a presentation e-readers for our board. Can I ask you guys a few questions?

1. If you ownn e-reader, what model is it?
2. What do you like about it?
3. What do you dislike about it?
4. Would you buy it again?
5. Do you download books from your library?

thanks a bunch!!

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2011 04:25      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am probably not the person that the Kindle is marketed for, but I had one for a couple of weeks before I gave it away.

1. The new model of Kindle (just WiFi)

2. The Kindle screen honestly was nice to read, nicer than reading off of a laptop screen. I have never tried an iPad or Android for eBook duty, so I can't say how it measures up.

It was also relatively easy to handle, though the different feel from a book would have probably taken some getting used to.

3. The prices of the books were not enough of a difference to make me choose it over paper. Sometimes the Kindle version was the same as the paper version. Then factor in the concept that you are locked into the Kindle format and so if that format changes, you may not have a recourse to continue to read those books. Books can't be made obsolete, unless the language itself dies.

My reading style suffered also, I read fast and often I read paragraphs to pages at a shot. Not sure exactly how to describe that, but it is almost like I pull it in, then figure it out. The Kindle's physical format felt stifling.

4. Nope it was my X-mas bonus from work. I would never have bought one personally and I used it for a few days and gave it to my Brother in Law since he is a bit more of the gadget geek than I am. Still wish they had given me cash, I couldn't even hack it to make the kernel do anything personally useful.

5. I didn't download from the library. TBH, I haven't been in a library in about a decade now. [blush]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2011 06:25      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:

My reading style suffered also, I read fast and often I read paragraphs to pages at a shot. Not sure exactly how to describe that, but it is almost like I pull it in, then figure it out. The Kindle's physical format felt stifling.

I've been thinking about getting a Kindle or Nook but I read the same way you do and now I'm wondering if I'll have the same issue. Maybe I should convince someone to let me borrow theirs before I decide.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2011 07:23      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I own the original Sony Reader (PRS-500) and I used a borrowed Kindle 2 for several months.

Both:
* Search functions are much better than an index when you're looking for something obscure
* You can easily carry hundreds of books and documents
* You can have dozens of bookmarks in a reference book and still be able to find the one you're looking for
* It's easy to switch between multiple books and documents when you're researching something
* E-ink screens are much nicer to read for long periods of time than LCD

Kindle:
* Wireless purchasing
* Free, wireless wikipedia access
* Ability to annotate documents

Sony:
* Support for more open formats than Kindle
* SD card memory expansion

Both:
* Page turning is a bit slow, which is a problem when you're trying to skim quickly
* The amount of text on a page is limited. Usually you get about 1/3 to 1/2 of the amount that a typical novel would have (even less if you enlarge the font)
* E-ink readers have a long battery life, but it does run down eventually and has to be recharged
* No way to organize books logically (later versions of the readers fixed this)

Kindle:
Limited support for different file formats

Sony:
* The Reader has to do a conversion on some file formats (most notably RTF) when you open them and it can take a long time

If I was buying a new reader today, I would most certainly buy a better one. I wouldn't change the purchase I made in 2008, however, as I feel I've gotten more than my money's worth out of it.

5. Do you download books from your library

I live in a small town and the library has no downloads available, but I probably would if I could.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2011 08:50      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kindle 3

I like being able to carry a huge selection of books and other documents. I'm the type of guy that would often drop a book in my cargo pants/shorts and walk to a local restaurant.

I like that I've been able to get some books for a good price, including some favorites. Amazon does do a good job of keeping prices fairly reasonable and offering sales where they have control over the pricing.

And, of course, I like the screen, as I can read outside in the sun sometimes (and yes, I actually have done that.

Don't like that some publishers stubbornly insist on controlling the prices, keeping them unreasonably high. Some Kindle editions are more expensive even than audio versions of the same book! Oddly enough, the worst offenders seem to be those controlling older works that could be picked up very cheaply in any used book store.

Screen size is sometimes a problem, as it really limits what you can see at any one time. They seem to be coming out with larger ones, but they're still a bit expensive.

Yes.

5. Do you download books from your library?
Not currently. I think I'll have to look into it, though.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2011 11:39      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are great! Keep it coming. [Smile]

If you are interested, this is my library's download page. We formed a consortium of libraries so we could afford it.
We loaned mostly audiobooks until last Christmas and then e-book downloads quadrupled.
http://wvdeli.lib.overdrive.com

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2011 00:36      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I've been thinking about getting a Kindle or Nook but I read the same way you do and now I'm wondering if I'll have the same issue. Maybe I should convince someone to let me borrow theirs before I decide.

I think it is a good idea to test one if you possibly can. I think it is a bit expensive to buy and toss, not to mention wasteful. I might have kept mine if my lifestyle warranted it. As it was I have easy convenience to any book I own, and multiple places to read. I don't travel by plane, or need to pack light for any reason. So it just turned into a gadget that had no purpose and I found less enjoyable to use.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2011 03:55      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Kindle 3G

2. The screen is detailed enough to read pdfs of journal articles without zooming). The battery life is incredible. And the free worldwide 3G was worth the extra 40 it cost in answering emails/facebook/etc literally wherever I am (with a 3G network...)

3. The file system. Putting books and articles into "collections" is very clunky, especially when you upload a big pile of pdfs every week. There's a (Windows only) app that sorts it for you, but I'd much rather just drag and drop into folders. That and the fact that pageturns can be a bit slow in a picture heavy file.

4. Yes

5. I can kinda semi-legally take ebooks from NHS Evidence and the like, but they don't really cater for free downloads. I have bought a few textbooks and fictions for it though.

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture