homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » The New Mozilla

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The New Mozilla
steampunkgrrrl
Geek Larva
Member # 38567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2011 08:58      Profile for steampunkgrrrl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently downloaded Mozilla 4.0 to my system (because I enjoy the fact that it tends to crash less than Explorer for some reason).

Anyway, one of the features I like about Mozilla is its tab system. I can line up a row of things that I need, or want, to check daily and when I open my browser up, there they are, fresh and ready as the morning.

However, the new Mozilla requires you to pin your tab as an app tab. (That or I haven't found a way around it yet).

Does anyone know a way around this? What do you guys think?

--------------------
A Steampunk's Musings

Posts: 25 | From: Northwest Ohio | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2011 16:38      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't require anything of the sort.

The best way to use Mozilla Firefox, IMHO, is to set "When Firefox starts:" to "Show my windows and tabs from last time". This way, you can quit/exit Firefox to your heart's content, and every time you start it, it'll be just like you left it (but with less RAM footprint).

I've been using it like this for years, and I have some tabs kicking around for months. (In fact, this was massively helpful the other day when I stumbled upon one such tab that I 'saved for later reading.' My hunch was right that I'd want to read that page, but I hadn't the time awhile ago.) If I only had one reason to favor this approach, it'd be that "You must restart your computer to install updates" no longer sends a chill through my spine about losing the pages I had carefully lined up for reading/work/research. (The alternative was to bookmark those tabs, but I detest bookmarks, as they tend to grow and fester.)

Otherwise, if you want a 'fresh start,' simply set your home page to "Current tabs/pages" with just the appropriate tabs open at the time.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
steampunkgrrrl
Geek Larva
Member # 38567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2011 02:43      Profile for steampunkgrrrl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah! Wonderfulness. ^-^

I just found that under "Options." Thanks for that advice...for some reason it just did it automatically with the last version? I don't remember having to change it, but whatevs.

I wonder if there's any other new spiffy things it can do that I don't know about.

--------------------
A Steampunk's Musings

Posts: 25 | From: Northwest Ohio | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture