homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » iDeath therefore iSad

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: iDeath therefore iSad
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2010 17:24      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well there is no more sunshine on a cloudy day.

It is cold outside and there is no month of May.

My girl, my little flowerpot of an iMac 800 died last week. Sad. There will be no more wake up to it's chime and "My Girl" on the iTunes. No more of her flirting and sticking out her cute tongue!

That is about all she did anymore. Wake up, play music, serve up old files and a-just the firewall.

Time for a new 'sumer-puter!

I was not ready for this. Are we ever? Are we?

I think a Mini-Me Snow Leopard Server sounds very good! How about you? Forget about snow cones! I serve snow leopards! Tasty-Freezie, yes indeedy!

I think I like the two 7200 RPM hard drives. Lotsa fast and lotsa space. And I don't need the Black-Ops drive. So it is a deal right there.

BUT! I don't think I need the server software at home. So what do you think? Just run regular snow leopards in the tank and keep the server on the shelf?

Will that work OK?

Tell me your thoughts!

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2010 19:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grr...an < got my comment chewed up.

EASY: Server costs $300 more, and you don't appear to need it.
Go out and buy a 1 TB drive for /less than/ $99 and pocket the difference. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2010 10:20      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Mr. Dragonman! Thank you for your time and thoughts.

I apologize for not having all the facts for you. Must be I miss Mz. iMac 800.

I am buying a refurberished mini-mac. The difference is $250 on refurberished.

The furber mini costs $599. Has 2.4 speed, 2G memory and small 5400 drive.

Snow-cone server costs $849, has 2.66 speed -- A $150 value! And 4G memory, a $50 value (In real memories dollars! Not in mac memories dollars!) That's $200 right there, it is! And before I buy the faster, bigger hard drive and go crazy trying to install it and void my warranty and have bad things happen to me.

So that might be a good deal? I think. Maybe I am wrong.

Also, it might be a good deal for another geek! Tra-la!

And I have a Sno-Cone Leopard Server I could sell to a deserving geek at a geek friendly price.

How about that!

What do you think?

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2010 11:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Skippy, Me thinks that an external Drive, Flash or Mech. would be a good investment. You could save all sorts of data, that way then if the computer has a bad day you still have your data. Then you do not have a bad day.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture