homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » A bug in iMovie '09 and problem-solving patience

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A bug in iMovie '09 and problem-solving patience
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2010 21:56      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently I spent about two weeks tracking down a bug in iMovie '09. I had been putting a Title Menu button in my Scene Selection pages. It's like a Back To Main link. Here's the bug: when I put the buttons in, iMovie crashed. It didn't crash as long as I stayed in the project, but when I tried to make a new project, open an existing project, or just quit the program, iMovie panicked.

I didn't know that the Title Menu button was the culprit, so after not finding a solution online, I communicated with Apple Support. We tried various proposed solutions, but no success.

After the fourth call to Apple in a week, the Support Rep suggested I team up with an Advisor. Together, the Advisor and I ran through just about every possibility, hardware and software alike.

I began to suspect a certain stage at which the project appeared to be corrupt. I knew that it had to be something in common with several recent projects because my older ones would be just fine in iMovie. So if it wasn't a problem with iMovie itself, what user option was I making that it didn't like? That's when I discovered removing the Title Menu buttons fixed the issue.

Now I don't know if the bug is a limitation or truly a bug. But I wouldn't be surprised if it appeared as part of a bug fix in a Software Update. It would be nice to have my 15 minutes of (anonymous) fame.

I don't know if all geeks have that kind of patience with computer troubleshooting. I'd like to know. How about yourselves? Have you influenced the outcome of a software update or a fix?

-- Tominfla

javascript:void(0)
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2010 17:59      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Yup, sure have. Our site was a Beta tester site for a Cad-Cam program. I asked for a different way to do Cavity mill, taking fewer steps to cut out a bowl shape. That request, that I would short cut around, took them three years to implement into the program as a machining option.

____ Think of a bowl shape, the program as written would start in the middle, go in a little ways and then spiral to the outer edge. Then return back to the middle and go down a small amount again, until the bowl was cut.

____ My method was to spiral down a helix until the bottom was reached then cut to the edge go around one lap retract a small amount run the lap, and retract, until the top was reached. This usually cut the machining time to 1/4th of the old way.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2010 05:51      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've received a few bug reports in my software development phase, and it's amazingly helpful when someone is willing to go through the painstaking process of helping you track down a problem. I'm sure the advisor was very grateful.

I've reported bugs with software from independent developers, and sometimes open source projects, but when it's a big company I tend to forget that there are real people working on the software. All too often I just find a workaround and don't report it.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture