homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Buran Space Shuttle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Buran Space Shuttle
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2010 22:16      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I walked halfway across Moscow in the middle of winter to see the Buran Space Shuttle; only to find out the real one was destroyed and they just have a fake one on display for the people to look at. I must admit though; this one almost looks as if it could have been used for aerodynamic gliding tests, though there are no heat shields on it (save a few near the rear), they have just painted it so it looks as if there are ceramic tiles on it. There is though what seems to be real working landing gear.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

wiki on Buran

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 15, 2010 23:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neato! [Cool]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2010 02:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ashitaka, Snaggy, etal. Please during some Northern Hemisphere Spring make the Spring break trek to Cocoa Beach Fla, watch the Co-eds lie about on the sand and as a day trip, visit Kennedy Space Center. Plan on making a whole day of it. Take plenty of Green Stamps (dollars). There are static displays, interactive displays, you get to watch equipment being moved and in various states of assembly. If your timing is right you may get to watch a Launch.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2010 03:53      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ Ashitaka, Snaggy, etal. Please during some Northern Hemisphere Spring make the Spring break trek to Cocoa Beach Fla, watch the Co-eds lie about on the sand and as a day trip, visit Kennedy Space Center. Plan on making a whole day of it. Take plenty of Green Stamps (dollars). There are static displays, interactive displays, you get to watch equipment being moved and in various states of assembly. If your timing is right you may get to watch a Launch.

Any space themed vacation I make in the future will be;

a) into outer space!!! or

b) Khasakstan to see the ships and watch a launch. ( the 2 grand just for the plane ticket is what is stopping me)

I would have posted pictures of all the spacecraft hey have in the Moscow Polytechnical museum but photography was banned there. ( at least I think that is why I was yelled at).

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2010 07:04      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan, been dreaming of that for years. We were hoping to see a Shuttle launch, alas, looks like that ain't in the cards. [Frown]

Ash: ooooo Khasakstan! [Smile] [thumbsup]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2010 07:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Don't delay plan now, go here.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2010 13:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that may be the same one they had in Sydney some years ago. I never got to see it, it was only open for a few months, then the operators went broke, then there was a long legal battle, and it got shipped to Bahrain, ("Buran in Bahrain" - say that 10 times fast) then there was another long legal battle...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2010 02:12      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Mo Data

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html

____ I am pretty sure that laying on the beach near KSC and happening to see one go skyward like a homesick angel would be a high point of ones life. You only have a year to get it in.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2010 05:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Famous Druid wrote:
I think that may be the same one they had in Sydney some years ago.

It looks like that one ended up in a museum in Speyer, Germany.

Google + boring meeting = pointless research [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2010 07:31      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
The Famous Druid wrote:
I think that may be the same one they had in Sydney some years ago.

It looks like that one ended up in a museum in Speyer, Germany.

Google + boring meeting = pointless research [Smile]

hmm, the quote under the photo is wrong, the ship that orbited the earth twice was destroyed in Khasakstan in a hanger colapse, there are many other ships that were built though, for gliding tests or to be sister ships that were never completed. See wiki link in original post.

This one was not one that was ever purposed for space (like the one in moscow)
OK-GLI

Current Status of all Russian shuttles built.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture