homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » iPad (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: iPad
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2010 00:49      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like Apple has designed the first product I will buy from them.

I'll wait till the first price drop though, make sure that there aren't many big issues with it.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2010 04:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I too like the looks, though for me it would not be the first Apple product. The last were a pair of iMacs.(CRT) When or if we get some more Cell Phone towers in our area, then the idea would really appeal.

____ I just do not think that the experience would be good on dial-up.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2010 06:43      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephen Fry likes it *Warning - Slippery with drool*

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2010 07:20      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iUseless.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2010 09:18      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing I noticed first was that they're marketing it as "magical."

Seriously? Magical?! [crazy]

I mean, it's basically an enlarged iPhone... without the phone part.

I must not be as susceptible to Steve Jobs' RDF as I once was.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2010 13:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It should be called the iSad.

(*runs for cover*)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2010 15:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm inclined to agree with this great man.

No multi-tasking, no camera, crippled connectivity.

So near, and yet so far.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2010 15:46      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hold on now! Let's not be too prejudiced.

Though something that removes the file system from the ordinary user experience may have limited appeal to hard core cli uberdorks, and with the caveat that I also have no idea whether it will fly or not, it's stupid to pass judgement on something from a completely new product category that you have no personal experience of. I suspect that the success or failure of this will depend on how much the larger screen improves the iPhone OS and touch screen UI. I'd like to suck it and see first.

For me the most interesting thing about this is that this is the ultimate expression of Steve Jobs's idea that Apple should make "the whole widget". From the chip that powers this, to the hardware, software, right up to the app store, every single significant part of this is controlled by Apple. I don't have any strong beliefs about the open source movement, but even I find this total control as disturbing as it is impressive. At least they have adopted an open standard file format for their ereader software.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2010 18:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still a bit undecided.

I have an iPod Touch and mostly love it. The iPad tackles one use case I find the Touch a bit lacking in with great aplomb, and another it flat out misses.

1. It will be *great* for 'couch-surfing.' IMHO, it will be absolutely, 100% fantastic for it. Right now, the iPod Touch is 'nifty' for this, but the screen is far too small to read NYT articles comfortably (on the real website - I blissfully ignore the app).

2. It's full of FAIL for things like Hulu (read: Flash) and multitasking. I'm sure some Apple apologists will explain why these things don't matter, but I do quite like Hulu, and multitasking matters to me for one silly reason - I'd like to use an app to play streaming radio...while doing other things! Wow, what a concept!!!

3. Size. This one is a damnable point. Obviously, the larger size is fantastic for reading, but I do think it's a clear hindrance to the product's viability, as it's in this weird area between 'handy peripheral' (but too large), and 'clever portable computer' (but too limited in feature set). Basically, it's a bad netbook and a monster iPod. The beauty of the iPod Touch is that it does a million times what you think it should be capable of doing, and yet it fits in your pocket. I don't think the same is true of the iPad, given its form factor. Furthermore, as the recent JoT aluded to -- just how the heck will you carry the thing? (Mind you, it would be a lot lighter in my briefcase than my MacBook...)

4. Pros and cons having been said...I wouldn't kick it out of bed!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2010 18:45      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

4. Pros and cons having been said...I wouldn't kick it out of bed!

I would! Because I have a feeling that if I starting bringing it to bed, I would probably end up single again. [Razz]

That said, I have to agree with you wholeheartedly dman.

It really doesn't fit in any area well. That might mean that Apple ends up creating a brand new niche for themselves that brings them in tons of accolades. Or it could become another Apple TV. Not an entirely bad idea, but too limited to ever be widely adopted.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2010 18:53      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, multi-tasking? Sure, it has multi-tasking -- it can make you look like a poser and a techno-dweeb at the same time. [Smile]

(edit: there must be a name for this practice of Apple fanboi teasing... I know, how about Macster-baiting? )

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted January 28, 2010 20:26      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it, and I think it's going to be a big hit. Just like the iPhone... version 1 will get the earlier adopters, version 2, like the iPhone 3GS, will win over more millions.

Downsides... no user accounts: not great for sharing email or browsers.

Would be nice to have Flash, it's just so prevalent while surfing. Maybe when Apple buys Adobe. [Razz]

It multi-tasks the Apple apps, so that's OK. No big deal when I'm on an iPad anyway. It's not like I'm going to work on it all day. It's for playing, and surfing, and reading, and watching. Perfect.

I can't wait to play on one, I think it *will* be a magical experience, just like the iPhone was when I first used one (and still is for the most part) only BIGGER!!!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2010 22:04      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it takes off, I wonder if some companies might end up making Android tablets to compete.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2010 23:58            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems Hitler doesn't like the iPad very much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4

(Yes, this is The Meme That Will Not Die.)

IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2010 09:57      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Genius.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2010 11:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erbo, plagiarize TFD's posts much?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2010 17:50      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plagiarise? Surely dman we should applaud the commie bastard and the wingnut channelling each other. It's a glimpse of a better brighter bipartisan world. [Wink]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2010 20:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
...the commie bastard...

/me adds Calli to the "first against the wall when the revolution comes" list.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2010 22:22      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meh. I'll wait for the version with the bigger screen... the MaxiPad.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted January 29, 2010 22:56      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll wait for an iPad nano with camera [Big Grin]

It seems a promising device, I've imagined a lot of potential uses for it, as a companion to the desktop PC for those wanting to work on simple tasks efficiently on the go.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2010 09:40      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
If it takes off, I wonder if some companies might end up making Android tablets to compete.

Never mind. I should have realized there would be multiple projects already in the works. Looks like at least five are going to use Android.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameGod
Geek
Member # 620

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2010 08:19      Profile for GameGod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we are being a bit far too understanding to the shortfalls that the iPad offers as a result of Apple fanboyism.

I do think it's a fantastic product, it has a world of potential. It is pretty cool and I was stoked that it acts as a much more convenient way to, pardon the pun, couch surf.

However, no flash or multi-tasking IS unacceptable. That is a step backward in terms of technology. The reason WHY we invented computers in the first place was to take care of multiple tasks quickly and easily. The iPad takes care of ONE thing quickly and easily. As for flash, in order to enjoy the internet properly, which is what the iPad is primarily for, flash is most definitely needed.

For my generation, we listen to music while writing a paper, we play a game while on chat, etc etc. For the price-tag, it is almost a ripoff when a netbook can do what we need for half the cost. I wouldn't have a problem with any of this unless Steve Jobs DID NOT poke at netbooks, virtually calling this superior to a netbook in every way. In some ways, he's right, but it lacks fundamental talents that, for most university students like me, will be the dealbreaker.

Lower the price significantly, and we've got a deal. Or add flash and multitasking so I can properly surf the internet and use it to write my university papers while doing a bit of research, then it will be by far worth the money.

Sorry about the lack of posts, I do 'lurk' in the background of these forums. [Smile]

--------------------
Well...that was fun =)

Posts: 153 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2010 10:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something like the iPad isn't a bad idea, exactly, but let's be honest... 99% of the apps are going to be crap like this.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2010 13:32      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameGod:

Lower the price significantly, and we've got a deal. Or add flash and multitasking so I can properly surf the internet and use it to write my university papers while doing a bit of research, then it will be by far worth the money.

Sorry about the lack of posts, I do 'lurk' in the background of these forums. [Smile]

hmm, lower price than a MacBook, flash isn't exactly a boon to research and if there's a need for an app where you can surf the web while typing up notes it sounds like an opportunity for profit [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 05, 2010 14:41      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure you can listen to music while surfing the web on an ipad, as I am doing that right now on my iPhone.
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture