homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Tweenbots

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tweenbots
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 05:30      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awww... tiny cardboard robots lost in the big city.

Tweenbots

So freakin' cute!

-

Is anyone surprised they all got where they were going?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 05:58      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's so great! I love them.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 06:49      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're just too cute! Thanks for the tip!

(And I am really that cynical? At some point, I thought that people would probably do just the same for children... Until I realised there's a major difference: robophily is unknown - to me, at least - unlike pedophily, and thus, children would be at much greater risk. Ah, but then, there might be people who, for that very reason, would go even more out of their way to assist a lost or in need of help child. Or would just call the police. Are we in a good or a bad world?)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 11:46      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are awesome!

@Stereo I think the majority of people would help the kid, probably more readily than the robot. Humans are programmed to look after other humans. There are fewer paedophiles lurking in the park than people expect! Though yeah, for a kid, the average passer by would likely call the police and get them to take care of it.

On a similar note, I'm amazed noone called the police for that little thing! Surely in this current climate of suspecting everyone and everything a little cardboard box propelling itself around is nothing but dodgey? I'm amazed that officer (or whatever she was, in the big hat and green uniform - forgive my ignorance of American law enforcement) didn't take it away, or call the bomb squad. It's refreshing to see people enjoying oddities rather than being paranoid about them.

(Damn, have I just turned this geeky thread into a political one? [ohwell] )

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 12:10      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
Those are awesome!
On a similar note, I'm amazed noone called the police for that little thing! Surely in this current climate of suspecting everyone and everything a little cardboard box propelling itself around is nothing but dodgey?

Well, it does have a friendly little smiley face. I'm pretty sure that people that make bombs aren't the smiley face sort.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 14:25      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally written by Kacie Kinder:
....could a human-like object traverse sidewalks and streets along with us, and in so doing, create a narrative about our relationship to space and our willingness to interact with what we find in it? More importantly, how could our actions be seen within a larger context of human connection that emerges from the complexity of the city itself?

Ok, so maybe Kacie is a really nice person, and admittedly the experiment is quite interesting, but....... who wants to be the first to punch some English into this person? [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture