homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Your own personal Cray

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your own personal Cray
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 16, 2008 17:51      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone see this? Finally, you too can own your very own personal Supercomputer!

That's right, kids, why go to a Ph.D. to have your genome sequenced when you can do it right at home while you watch Sesame Street!

Cray, with Intel and Microsoft, just put out a "deskside" supercomputer running Windows HPC Server 2008.

quote:
The CX1 can be configured with up to 8 nodes and 16 Xeon DP 5200/5400-series processors (LGA771), which are available in dual-core and quad-core flavors, 1.86 to 3.40 GHz and TDP power consumption levels of 40 to 150 watts. A high-end CX1 would include 64 Xeon cores, 4 TB of internal storage and 512 GB of memory (64 GB per node). A spokesperson told us that the CX1 is designed as a deskside supercomputers (dimensions: 12.2 x 17.5 x 35.5), which can be stacked up to three cases high, which means you could stretch these systems to up to 192 Xeon cores under your desk.
It only costs, depending on configuration, anywhere from $25,000 to $60,000. Hey, who needs to pay back those student loans?

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2008 09:36      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only 25K, you say... oh well, time to pimp Momma again.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2008 19:43      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Cray running Windows.

So you get the Blue Screen of Death really really fast?

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture