homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » oh dear, dare I dream of a DELL?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: oh dear, dare I dream of a DELL?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted September 04, 2008 09:45      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Available Now: Windows XP $399, Ubuntu $349

http://gizmodo.com/5045220/dell-inspiron-mini-9-available-now-windows-xp-399-ubuntu-349

/me slaps myself with a large PowerMac 8600/300

please Apple, come up with something like this, only a tablet. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted September 04, 2008 13:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________Snaggy__ If you have been following my Posts about the two gifted Dells, you would not look so lovingly.

___ On the PIII the heat sinks for the processor appear to be well suited to the task it works and runs well, no real problems.

___ On the P4 different story the fins on the heat sink are way to fine and clog with dust (documented at many sites). The power plug is fragile and easily broken (again documented)

___ If you can see the heat sink and it has large ribs (cast alum.) and not finer than a car radiator, they may have caught on.

___ One of my Ham radios is built using the entire lower case as a heat sink, I still strapped a processor cooling fan to the ribs so that even on a hot day running full power on high duty cycle it will not take out the finals.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2008 14:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooooh!
Shiny toy!

I'll definitely be getting something like this soon, I'm waiting till there are several to choose from, and they've been on the market long enough to know "Don't buy Brand X, the hinges fall off after a few months"

MoMan: they're Atom Processor based. At 2.4 Watts TDP (compared to 50-75W for the P4), heat-sinking shouldn't be too demanding.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2008 15:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, that's hot! (No processor or battery jokes, please!)

Maybe I should call my account exec... [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2008 17:15      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ The Famous Druid __ Thats comforting, maybe the Laptop makers have caught on that high power consumption leads to short discharge times and disgruntled customers.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted September 04, 2008 19:11      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it seems that if you're getting a desktop from them you'll get the Mini at just $99. Seems a great deal, a netbook and a desktop as server.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: BogotŠ, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2008 04:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, I have to get one as I done so much drooling over it in the last 24 hours I've shorted my current laptop. You see -- that's how they get ya! [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2008 08:56      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, spungo, that's what shorted the laptop. [Razz]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2008 09:09      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
Yeah, spungo, that's what shorted the laptop. [Razz]

Damn straight... and not wax drips from my freshly-adorned candle-lit shrine to Sarah Palin... no, certainly not...

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2008 23:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from the 30s I caught of the madness before I had to take a walk

Drill baby, drill!

[evil]

P.S. Back on topic: If it had a DB9 connector, it would be positively swoonworthy, but as it is, it's a damn fine looking laptop. I'm sure a few folks here have heard me carp about laptop weight...I've found myself carrying my MacBook around more these days, but it weighs my bag down a decent bit. A 2 1/4 lb. Linux laptop strikes my fancy just fine...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2008 01:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
please Apple, come up with something like this

This little gem isn't made by Apple, but with a little work it'll run OS X

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2008 11:11      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
please Apple, come up with something like this

This little gem isn't made by Apple, but with a little work it'll run OS X
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Inspiron_Mini_9

FYI: It's made by the same company as the MSI Wind.

(Assuming of course, that Wikipedia is correct!)

--------------------

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2008 19:12      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW I bought my daughter one of these for her 4th birthday...

Elonex Webbook The site there doesn't show it but in the store you can get the Ubuntu one for £220 which is the one we bought her.

She already has an Acer Aspire with Vista Home ... but although she is perfectly capable on that (well as competent as you can expect a 4 year old to be for her limited needs... she can turn it on choose her own account, find Firefox, choose from her bookmarks and surf Nick Jr, CBeebies, etc and shut it off when she has had enough - and she has mastered playing kids games from CD too) it is a big heavy laptop - and she finds it difficult to physically manhandle. I was very pleased to see that she loved the size immediately but also was totally unfazed by the change to Ubuntu - she turns it on (it is on auto login - she can't type a password yet and Ubuntu doesn't seem to allow no password accounts) looked straight for the Firefox icon and then the cbeebies bookmark... yes I put her favourites in there up front she's 4 [Wink]

So now at just 4 she (and her older sister, who is nearly 8) are both totally at ease using OS X (Tiger and Leopard) and Vista and are starting on Ubuntu - it is great to see how they just accept it as "another way" and accept the differences as part of the natural order.

Oh yes and the Webbook is neat - I like it a lot too [Wink]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2008 01:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ser: Good on them for managing to deal with Vista! ;P
I struggle with it and curse it out every time I have to touch it.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture