homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Rats! Those robots are smart!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rats! Those robots are smart!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2008 16:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If these robots leave your spaceship while in spaceport... start to worry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7559150.stm

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2008 23:17      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's because one of kreziserb's friends burned us the Battlestar Galactica miniseries and subsequent 3.5 seasons and we've been plowing through it, but my first thought was "Cylons!"

/me slinks off feeling sheepish

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2008 14:53      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first thought had nothing to do with memory loss studies, but more along the lines of what Xanthine thought.

Anyone ever read the Heechee series by Frederick Pohl? The Heechee essentially download their dead's consciousness into computers. Humans eventually follow suite.

Now, couple all of the above with cloning, whereby you take some of your own stem cells, grow a new brain, and then transfer "yourself" into that new brain which is fitted into a brand new body. Near immortality. Or, you could take a perfectly healthy brain out of a diseased body and implant it into a new robotic host.

The thought excites me, and I'm pretty sure it will never happen in my lifetime.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2008 15:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cylons?

I'm now having visions of that funny little robot in a slinky red party dress.

And I like it. [Eek!]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2008 04:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smart, and tasty!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2008 07:01      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BBC NEWS:
The blob of nerves forming the brain of the robot was taken from the neural cortex in a rat foetus and then treated to dissolve the connections between individual neurons ... Signals are passed to and from the robot via Bluetooth short-range radio.

I've got a Bluetooth mouse ... now they're making Bluetooth rats?!
Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture