homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Anyone get an iPhone 3G?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone get an iPhone 3G?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted July 10, 2008 20:53      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just wondering. [Big Grin]

I can't wait for the iPod Touch 2.0 update so I can play with the new aps. [Geek]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2008 03:55      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still debating...I know if I go look at it, it will be coming home with me: [Big Grin] I'll let you know [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2008 05:02      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure this comes as a huge surprise, but I definitely am. [Big Grin]

Also, our dear friend Spiderman is currently on line waiting to get his.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2008 08:28      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone wants one, no lineups here in Victoria, snap em up while they last...

I can't, for at least a year, i had to renew early due to an incident with a Taxi Grue.

Maybe the plans will be better by then, and I can make adjustments to my own.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2008 09:16            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my current AT&T contract runs out next year, I might consider one then. It'll give 'em time to work the bugs out of the 3G version, and for the hype to die down (a bit).
IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2008 11:24      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, guess I'll be waiting now... What is with all the iPhone drama? Think of those poor folks who had to wait in line all day, hehe [Eek!]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2008 17:42      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got AquaForest, monkey ball, chopper and band. They're all fantastic.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted July 11, 2008 19:43      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still trying the get the iPhone 2.0 update for my Touch... no luck all day. Phooey!

update: 10 PM, I finally got through.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2008 21:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Yeah, guess I'll be waiting now... What is with all the iPhone drama? Think of those poor folks who had to wait in line all day, hehe [Eek!]

What...you mean the people I pointed at and laughed about? [Wink]

Edit: Oh my...saw something on ISC today about Apple being overloaded...had no idea it got to the point that Apple couldn't *activate* phones in the stores and turned people away (at least according to the summary on /.). /That/ must have people up in arms and is pretty bad. People are voluntarily going there to throw lots of money at Apple, and it's inexcusable to turn them away like that -- that could give people a very sour taste for Apple. As soon as they got wind of things like this, they should have just pulled out all the stops to do a rapid analysis and rebalance things. Take down the fscking Apple Store website & large parts of iTMS if it means that the retail experience doesn't suffer -- the website visitors can return at a later day to watch stupid fake-Steves do walkthroughs. Same goes for iTMS...it'll be there tomorrow -- people in the store who get turned away might get sense and not return.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2008 22:53      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have a word for people who bought the iPhone 3G: victims.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2008 00:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jen: Roy, ask me what kind of phone I use.

Roy: What kind of...

Jen: It doesn't matter!

</the-it-crowd>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2008 07:26      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just a question, what's with using itunes to activate the phone? whats wrong with normal cell phone activation routines (insert an activated sim/whatever sim-less carriers do)?

does itunes really have to be involved? it seems clear to me that things would have gone much more smoothly for those poor suckers if it wasn't

maybe i'm missing something here, but if you want to sell 10 million phones, it seems to me you would build an infrastructure to support activating them, otherwise, it's a brick, or a paperweight at best

just my .2

AT

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2008 09:48      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AntonTakk wrote:
if you want to sell 10 million phones, it seems to me you would build an infrastructure to support activating them, otherwise, it's a brick

No, it's an iBrick

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2008 19:00      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the iBrick is clearly not an actual apple product, it is neither white, nor black, nor shiny, does not prominently display the apple logo, and it is not being sold by someone who has no clue how it actually works [evil]

AT

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2008 20:14      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TV "reporter" Eric Spillman walks the line outside an Apple or AT&T store moments before the iPhone3G launch, mocking the shoppers for their interest in something as pointless as a cell phone. One, challenged to choose between "gadgets and human beings," asks the irritating little twerp a perfectly pointed question: "This is journalism to you?" [shake head]

Linkie to Boing Boing and video

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
iNoles
Mini Geek
Member # 5685

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2008 22:28      Profile for iNoles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked No since I already have iPod Touch. I don't trusts AT&T that much. I always find AT&T is the DeathStar for Telecom.
Posts: 57 | From: Melbourne, Florida | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2008 06:42      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AntonTakk:
just a question, what's with using itunes to activate the phone? whats wrong with normal cell phone activation routines (insert an activated sim/whatever sim-less carriers do)?

When the first iPhone came out, using iTunes to activate was fantastic because it meant you could just buy the phone and walk out - no need to stand around for fifteen minutes because you can activate it at home.

Now you have to activate it in the shop, which is no fun. I don't know why you still need iTunes for it to work, but I bet it has something to do with trying to stop people unlocking it.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2008 09:00      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have never had to wait fifteen minutes to simply activate a new phone. the initial sign-up with a provider does take a bit, but at the end of that comes your activated sim. insert it in the phone, and away you go. i'm assuming at&t is one of the carriers that does not use sims, since that would seem (to me) be an easier and faster way to "activate" the phone - just pop in the sim from your old iphone.

AT

--------------------

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2008 10:21      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AT&T does use SIM cards. And on the few phones I have had through them, it has been a simple process to activate. But I think with the whole going through Apple's servers, it is creating nothing but issues.
Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2008 12:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SIM cards are at the heart of GSM. Verizon and other CDMA carriers do not use SIM cards. Nextels with iDEN *do* use SIM cards, but they're a completely different system. SIM cars are *awesome* - it's one of the many things that sucks about CDMA, but I can't argue with the coverage that Verizon has. I need a phone that *works* and until I'm convinced one can get good GSM coverage in a large part of this country, I'm not switching carriers.

The reason for the in-store activation is because of [AT&T] paranoia about unlocked iPhones being sold by third parties for use on other networks. Networks where you don't have to pay the cost of a very respectable computer over the course of a 2 year contract. The only way I'd ever get a data plan is if my employer† paid for it, and I'd actually be hesitant to accept that, as it would mean I'd be expected to jump every time I'm called. There is some merit to being a bit disconnected. ;P

† Which includes myself for consulting if the service improved my ability to work with clients, and ROI proved worthwhile.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture