homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » In search of the perfect cup of coffee

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In search of the perfect cup of coffee
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2008 02:40      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although they have been around for a couple of years, the Aeropress has only become available here quite recently. They have had the best reviews, and though I resent the high UK price compared to the US, I suppose I will have to have one, as I am a sucker for any new coffee machine. It's part of the search for that holy Grail for every caffein addict, the perfect coffee machine. Someone somewhere will someday make the machine that can capture the most intoxicating of smells, that of fresh roasting coffee, in a cup.

What makes the best coffee for you?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2008 03:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
White rum.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2008 04:02      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer atmosphere with my coffee. The smoothest cup of coffee tastes bitter if you are drinking in preparation for a 12 hour midnight to noon shift. Brewed coffee tastes good on a warm spring afternoon sitting in a sidewalk café in an old city in France.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2008 04:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ Many of you know that my father was an engineer, In fact the senior engineer at the factory he worked at. That said the engineers offices and the skilled trades department were seporated by the metalergy lab so it was decided that the met lab would house the best coffee pot that they could build. Huge taste and odor filters on the incoming water, Auto Ph detection and photometers to check on the brew. While storing coffee if too much water evaporated more was added to bring Ph and or color back to where it should be. If the circuits detected that the brew was too far out of wack it was dumped and a new brew commenced, it may not have been the best coffee, but it was the most consistant.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2008 07:03      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best coffee I ever had was after coming off Dartmoor from a force 7 blizzard after being made to stand still for around an hour so we could be "rescued" rather than walking back to camp. It was hot, wet and sweet.

After half the cup had gone I realised that the coffee was actually the worst I'd ever had, so there you go. Enjoy 2 days of hardship before every cup, but only drink half!

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2008 10:43      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've actually never been one for coffee machines. For religious reasons I object to anyone having to spend large sums of money on a machine just to have a decent cup of coffee.

And it remains the fact that the best coffee I've ever drunk was an espresso, the first I ever ordered solely in pidgin Italian, in a tiny Italian cafe.

It was brewed in a stovetop espresso maker, of the kind I consequently picked up for €5 (that's about $5) in the supermarket a couple of days later.

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2008 11:54      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
once in Italy (Perugia) I ordered a coffee drink that was 50% coffe and 50% balsalmic vinegar, just to taste it because I couldn't believe soeone would drink coffe with vinegar in it.

It was pretty good. Not the best coffee I have ever had, but good enough to write home about.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2008 17:58      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We JUST got an espresso maker imported directly from Italy. Made by Jolly Cafe. Best damn 2500$ CAD we ever spent. Now when i am doing a ram upgrade fro a customer... we make them an espresso or a cappuccino! The added bonus here... I NO LONGER BUY OR DRINK TARFUX COFFEE!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture