homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » MacBook Pro

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MacBook Pro
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2008 08:22      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So instead of 2 laptops I got one and I will get the other with Tax returns instead. I went with the MacBook Pro and am happy I did. Compared to my iBook and Mini this thing is blazing fast. I was thinking the monitor would be a little bit bigger. It's the wide screen 15" and side by side looks smaller then my 14" iBook but I know the size is larger because it is wider. Boot camp does not like XP without SP2. I have a friend that has a legal copy of it and he's going to give it to me for free next time I see him. I gave him my old iPod so it seems like an even trade off. I'm having a little problem with Office 2004. I have the Student teacher edition and right after I install it all the stuff I just installed disappears. I'll figure that out sooner or later.

I also got a new phone. It's the Moto Q and so far I am liking it. The main reason I wanted it was the big full QWERTY keyboard. I txt more then I talk so it's much faster.

That was my shopping spree for yesterday. Now to test the speed of this thing by playing a game of KOTOR witch should be just about done installing.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 27, 2008 10:25      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooooo nice. congrats. [Smile]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2008 12:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have a full install copy of XP without SP2?

If so, you can 'slipstream' the install. This is something that /has/ to be done from a Windows machine, and it's more than a little bit tricky to get it to boot, but it can definitely be done. Google 'xp sp2 slipstream' and you'll likely find good instructions. Make absolutely sure that you follow the boot sector instructions to a "T." No emulation, sector count to '4' and start sector to whatever they specify. A normal bootable disc (read: Linux) uses El Torito booting with floppy emulation, which is super-easy to do...M$ does is the very hard way.

Congrats on the acquisition. Personally, I love my MacBook, but your Pro can likely do more. On the matter of the screen...just remember that the iBook has 1024x768 res., and this is probably /much/ higher. I loathe the 'widescreen' nonsense, as I really want the vertical resolution. At least I have 1280 wide, but the 800 high really hurts for remote sessions. :/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2008 06:28      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the SP2 disk and installed windows. It's easier to install Windows on a Mac then a PC. And Bootcamp set up all my drivers for me. I have SWG going and I have never run the game so fast. It's Awesomerific. In game I tell people I'm playing it on a Mac and they all ask how and if it's running ok.

I keep thinking the new trackpad stuff is cool but I don't use it since I got a new wireless mouse just for this computer. 10.5 is really cool also. My Mini and iBook are still running 10.3.9. But I'm still putting them to good use. My iBook is being used to hold my Music for my iPod and the Mini is still in the bedroom for websurfing and e-mail if I don't feel like running downstairs to get the Pro.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2008 12:06      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gaaaah! Drool and envy!

Speaking of tax returns and laptops, the Club's family plan was to finally get a MacBook Pro (Mrs. Club talked me up from a straight MacBook) later this spring. After tax day. I was therefor very irritated to discover that TurboTax required OS X 10.4 this year. We're still running 10.3.9, and I'm for darn sure not going to drop $100 on an OS upgrade just to do my taxes. Not when we'll get a "free" upgrade when we buy the MBP. Grrr. [Mad]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2008 16:05      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mac D,

If that screen is too small, you can always buy a very nice mac monitor for your MacBook Pro. You can even run the Monitor and laptop in split screen mode.

Better yet, the MacBook pros can power a 30" Cinema monitor. Expensive, yes, but still cheaper than a pair of geezer glasses.

Ugh!

I feel your pain on the upgrade. I still run an iMac 800 for OS9 apps, music and print serving and that beast is forever condemned to 10.3.9.

On the plus side, the earlier versions of iPhoto have better photo book templates.

Still run my iBook g4 on 10.4 and like it.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ora
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 04:55      Profile for ora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! I have an older MBP and love it dearly, like the widescreen format too as allows space for 2 a4 pages (just).

Glad you got sp2 up and running, with that i had very few issues with bootcamp, though in fact I found Vista ran better in the end. How big a partition did you allow it? I also found I had better drivers than PC users much of the time as they were better tailored to the h/w than the PC ones were.

If i may be permitted a plug, check out macosx.com . Its a mac community i have been on and off involved in for years and its a good place for mac help/advice. They even do free tech support! [Big Grin]

Posts: 14 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture