homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » USB harddrive suggestion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: USB harddrive suggestion
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2008 10:01      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking about getting an external USB hard drive for my backups. I'm not backing up tons of data, mostly some photos and text files from a book I'm working on.
Any suggestions for me on what to get?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2008 11:28      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if its anything under 8GB then just get a regular flash drive. if you are looking for something larger, there are many cheaply available portable hard drives available at your nearest office store.

--------------------
no my password is not username

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2008 13:03      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have a bit of cash around, there are a few 32GB USB Flash drives around nowadays. Although most are prettier than this one!

I would certainly have one if they were cheaper, but for practical external HDD backup, I still prefer Firewire and Carbon Copy Cloner and/or SuperDuper!

YMMV etc.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2008 15:14      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one of these that I use for on-the-go backups and file transportation (I use a larger external firewire drive for my regular backups). It's a good drive, fits in my pocket, and the price was right.

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2008 18:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd recommend an external HD to get the most bang for your buck. (But if you don't need more than 4 GB, go with a SanDisk USB key.) You can get a 320 GB WD USB2.0 HD for $99. Personally, I just bought a 500 GB WD "Home" drive from circuitcity for a song. It finally went on special after a good long while - I want this version for the Firewire interface, which tends to cost more. SuperDuper or CCC, here we come! (And per a previous thread, I /shouldn't/ need Firewire for my MacBook...but for my PPC mini, I do.) Also, I look forward to being able to have a HD connected and both USB ports free.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2008 11:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________________ Slightly off topic, but after looking at the specs for the new Mac book and seeing the SSD option. Does the machine boot faster than with a mechanical drive, I would think that it would be able to save faster because of not needing cache during head moves. Also how much battery time would that save not having to spin up the platters?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2008 12:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan: Read time is supposed to be significantly faster with SSD. Write time may not necessarily be as fast, though. Seek time is the key savings - if the files you're reading are stored sequentially on a standard HD, the savings aren't as big. Power savings should be decent, but the official line from Apple is that they haven't studied it yet. I happen to think that's pretty lame, but I guess they were too busy getting the thing ready for production to bother. They probably had dozens of bugs to fix first...and they probably ripped more manila envelopes than anyone would care to remember.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2008 15:33      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is a manilla envelope, the Apple Offical Laptop Carrying case?
Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2008 16:22      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No,

but an Airkraft/Jiffy is [Razz]

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2008 06:01      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may make sense to get a drive and then get an enclosure for it. If it's for storage and not moving around, then a big drive won't hurt.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to make an external drive bootable. This is pretty hard, really.

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2008 10:05      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I hadn't been thinkin of thumbdrives, but it would be alot easier to do it that way. I'll check out some of your links. [Smile] Thanks again
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2008 10:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________________ A few years back I came accross a USB drive incloseure at a retailer. I had a large 80Gig drive unused at that time. I know thats small by todays standards. Any way I bought the incloseure poped in the drive and use it to back up personal folders on all of our comps. Buy using a DOS format all of our comps can axcess the info. Its mostly full of Jpegs (grandkids).

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture