homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » What would you name your robot?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What would you name your robot?
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 08:21      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So some one here has a link to a webcomic in there .sig. I sat and read the web comic for the better part of 3 days and in the comic there is a Astro PC named Pintsize. It's a small robot that has an AI in it. The AI is a little over the top to the point that it's unbelievable. But it did get me thinking. It would be very fun to have a robot like this. So I did a couple Google searches and found a couple products.

One by NEC

I don't think this one is for sale yet. At leaste not in the US. It does look very cool and has an AI built in and will evolve and get it's own personality.

Smart Robots inc.

This one looks more like it's more usefull then fun. It doesn't look like it has much of an AI, just reading your e-mail and some kind of navigation system in it.

I think I would name mine Chip.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 08:30      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't decide between

Data

Khan, (this way if I screamed Khaaaaannn! at the top of my lungs I would't be crazy 'cause I was just yelling at my ropbot for knocking something over.

Bitch, 'cause then I could say bitch do this and bitch do that and it would be OK.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 08:43      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always (ok, not always, but for a long time) entertained the idea of a domotic-AI, see-all, know-all (but he's working for me only, and won't share the data, so it's good), and controlling a small army of domestic robots. The main AI would be named Maestro. As for the little one, as they don't have personnality, they don't need a name.

But for one small AI-robot? Maybe "Bestiole" (kinda equivalent of "Buggy" - in the animal meaning, not faulty software!). And nothing comes to mind for a big moving robot. It would probably depend on its look.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 09:01      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd probably just end up naming it "Robot". It would fit in with Kaitlin's dolls "Baby", "Elephant", and "Puppy".

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 09:04      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TMBWITW,PB: So your the one with the link. I couln't remember who it was.

But anyway anyone know any other links to robots with AI?

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 13:57      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably 'dog'. I always thought a robot dog would be cool to have; but then again, I'd settle with an old-fashioned bio-dog right now.

Then again, you may choose to name it for the originator of the software it runs: 'Linus', 'Joy', or 'Guido'.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 14:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd call mine Basil, so I could put on my best Sybil Fawlty voice when calling it ... Baaaaasillllll!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 15:02      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is named Marvin.
Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 15:29      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robbie

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 16:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pork-O-Tron 5000

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2007 15:38      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
R. Daneel Olivaw

bonus points for getting the reference

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2007 15:41      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Killbot3000 -just so folks might be more polite to me.
Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2007 19:20      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clango
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dajt
Mini Geek
Member # 627

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2007 13:42      Profile for dajt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hurm. So many names, so little time. . . Celeste? Valentina? Mailman? Harlie? P1? Manfred? Maybe I should skip all the fun names from literature and go for "Trouble". Then after I clone it the new one could be "Double".

--------------------
We've succeeded when a Linux release is front page news.

Posts: 98 | From: Boston MA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Daewolf
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 10954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2007 09:13      Profile for Daewolf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stella so I could scream at it like Rocky
Posts: 1 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2007 12:32      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daewolf:
Stella so I could scream at it like Rocky

Ain't that Adrienne! ('Stella' would be from A Streetcar Named 'Desire'... or any pub where they serve nice Belgian lager. [Smile] )

As for what I'd call it... hmmm... probably Arse-face, or shit-fer-brains, or maybe just 'Oi!'. Basically names you can't get away with when addressing real people.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted September 10, 2007 18:25      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally don't feel robots would ever arrive to our homes as Sci Fi has predicted it since its beginnings. I believe they're are not as useful as they seem but still there are some components we can use from them to develop existing technologies. AI would be more useful for stockastic, making robots to act similar to humans is a very costly exercise while creating mathematical models to predict climate and market changes is relavely cheaper and has an specific utility.

Aside from that, a robot in my imagination would answer to the name Q.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2007 07:48      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine kit came with a name (BOE - for Board of Education), when I get sufficiently far away from the kit, I will consider renaming the bot. That will be a ways off though simply because of the fact that I can't justify spending a lot of money on parts at them moment.
Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wingless
Mini Geek
Member # 10751

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2007 16:45      Profile for Wingless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrawGator:
R. Daneel Olivaw

Extra extra bonus points for having read the books? Extra extra extra bonus points for knowing he merges bods with a hermaphrodite?

For a robot name (and I have thought of this extensively for the day Honda finally gets Asmio right), I would go with Mr. Bolts, Marvin (42), or Isaac.

I must also note there was a Robbie story by Mr. Asimov, and he once claimed he semi stole the name from a lesser known piece of work.

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2007 14:09      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wingless:
quote:
R. Daneel Olivaw

Extra extra bonus points for having read the books? Extra extra extra bonus points for knowing he merges bods with a hermaphrodite?

For a robot name (and I have thought of this extensively for the day Honda finally gets Asmio right), I would go with Mr. Bolts, Marvin (42), or Isaac.

I must also note there was a Robbie story by Mr. Asimov, and he once claimed he semi stole the name from a lesser known piece of work.

Double extra bonus points for remembering that the hermaphrodite is from Solaria the last of the fifty spacer worlds. [Geek]

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wingless
Mini Geek
Member # 10751

Icon 10 posted September 14, 2007 17:24      Profile for Wingless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Double extra bonus points for remembering that the hermaphrodite is from Solaria the last of the fifty spacer worlds. [Geek]

50 bajillion bonus points for me! Yay! [Wink]
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 3 posted September 14, 2007 21:12      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[crazy] I would name mine DAVE [Big Grin]

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture