homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » iPhone Buyers? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: iPhone Buyers?
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2007 22:41      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine. I don't have a cellphone either, but not for the same reason as you. But hopefully, I can get one for Christmas or something, Hopefully by then there were be more widgets to download or something.

Zesovietrussion, wher'es that mall? I could've sworn It's the one not yoo far from where I live, But I could be wrong.

Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2007 10:31      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not going to buy an iPhone, for European measures, it's not really that much of a fantastic tool, besides a nice design, good software (though, Nokia is decent too) and a touchscreen.
Simply the lack of a decent built-in Camera (2 MP? come on! my 3 year old Nokia 7610 has 1 MP already) and UMTS capability kick it out of competition.

Sorry Apple,

Thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2007 10:49      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. The iPhone is like the G5. It was behind the curve before it even came out. Too slow, to expensive, too many features that are bloat, but missing the features that are needed. (No SDK? No Java? No Flash? Puhleeease)

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2007 16:51      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I don't have a cell phone. There's lots of way to say fsck you to society, and this is the way I have chosen. I'm not so important that anyone NEEDS to find me anywhere and everywhere, and I've found that the rest of life's little emergencies can be negotiated without a cell phone (given that mankind has existed far longer than cell phones, this should not be such a shocker). My limited experience with borrowing phones or talking to people on phones has not warmed me to them. The batteries are always dying, the signal is always getting dropped, and assuming none of the former happens there's always some sort of static or distortion that makes the person on the other end hard to hear or understand. I hate talking on the phone to start with; talking to someone on a cell phone with a less than perfect signal is even worse. Therefore, I'm not in line for an iPhone either.

My boyfriend has similar feelings towards cell phones. No wonder we get along so well.

Does your boyfriend wear large aviator sunglasses and a funny-looking hoodie? [Razz]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2007 17:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. Cell phones are pretty much the only breed of gadget he won't bring home. Anything else, if it's got circuits, he's either buying it or figuring out how to build it.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 04, 2007 13:02      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Trying (but purposely failing) to sign up for a prepaid plan unlocks ipod and wifi features? Whoa, I think I just might get one - $500 is a little steep, but it's not that much more expensive than a high-end PDA, and I assume I can use bluetooth to tether it to my Treo if wifi isn't available [evil]

You can't tether it:
http://www.macintouch.com/iphone/faq.html#networks
(4th from the bottom of that group ~ m/tether/)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 07:57      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may not be able to tether it, but you can blend it

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture