homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » iPhone Buyers? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: iPhone Buyers?
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted June 29, 2007 14:04      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just wondering how many people are going to, (or hoping to, however it turns out) buy an iPhone when they launch today t 6:00.
I would but I don't have any money.

BTW, did anyone watch the daily show last night?

Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 14:45      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm strictly a pre-paid cell phone user, so it's unlikely I'll ever own an iPhone. But I would love to play with one if someone else buys it!

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 20:24      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't buy one, but these guys did... and then they promptly dismantled it and took photos.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 21:35      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Look at all them poor suckers - shelling out $60/mo for a plan that's about as craptacular as a cell phone plan can possibly get [Smile]

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 23:53      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I decided to go with a T-Mobile Sidekick 3 earlier this year and wait for an updated iPod ( I want 100 gigs or larger).

I paid $199 for the phone, and $29.99 per month for the unlimited data only plan (I just don't make many calls).

It uses the EDGE network like the iPhone (no WiFi options though).
It has a FULL QWERTY keyboard, supports IMAP and POP mail, has a decent web browser, plays MP3s (with album art), has Bluetooth, text messaging, IM via AIM, MSN & Yahoo, 1.3 mega-pixel camera, Calendar, Notes, To Do list, Address Book. A large download catalog of Games, ringtones & applications (even a Terminal Client!). Removable battery. And you can even manage the phone via the web. Plus it has a Mini SD slot for MP3s and Photos and the phone connects via USB.

And no, it's not as cool as the iPhone, but at this point the Sidekick 3 has more of features that I want and use (and many I don't use).

And I don't want to pay $2,038 to use a phone for 2 years, even the $918 I'll be paying for mine for 2 years is pricey to me. I was using a pre-paid before for about $80 a year.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2007 01:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless someone decides they really think I'm fantastic, and have money to burn, I don't expect I'm going to get one. However, I did get to play with one in the AT&T store tonight by happy accident. The UI really is as cool as all the screencasts. Coverflow for pictures is pretty spiffy, the keyboard isn't /too/ bad (though I didn't use it much), and the multitouch zoom stuff is damn cool. It really feels like the way UI /should/ be for such things. However, the menu flow is kind of dumb, with the very Palm style single-app, single 'go home' key (even Palm had hotkeys!). I'm kind of spoiled by having played with the iPod hierarchical menus, though I don't own such a clever device. To /me/, being able to go back and whatnot is a good idea, but this interface isn't terrible. I'm really surprised they didn't implement a virtual click wheel, though...and maybe a universal iPod button that you can tap to call up said wheel/UI. This way, if you're messing around with some other app, you can change tracks or adjust the volume, without leaving that app, and going to the iPod app.

Of course, it might just be simpler to restate what I told my friend, having called him [with my Verizon, monochrome LG clamshell] a few minutes after leaving the store: "Shiny!"

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2007 13:45      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the market for a new phone, but not likely to buy an iPhone.

I'm looking at
1)Nokia E-70
2)Helio Ocean
3)Sidekick

Basically for me there are 3 key features:
1) Full QWERTY keyboard. I've had it with the whole 2/3 letters per key predictive thing.
2) Decent frikin reception. My blackberry and my SLVR make everyone sound like some lo-fi band's fresh track.
3) Calendar. I need to keep track of stuff. Like seriously need to. I can't remember ANYTHING if I'm focused on a project. It all becomes background noise - as I'm sure some people I owe stuff to on GC can attest. I don't mean to be a flake, but if I'm on a project I'm GONE.
4) GPS is a nice to have - I get lost in my own bathroom. I can't find my way out of a paper bag.

So the iPhone is out on #1, and the cost is a bit excessive. Besides... I do so much note-taking and typing and messaging that I'd say typing is probably 99% of what I do.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2007 14:13      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, the iPhone has a pretty screen that I would scratch up. I would get complained at by the people who think if a computer peripheral is not pristine, I'm a puppy-kicker or something.

Not anal retentive enough to own something not ruggedized. People seeing my 12" powerbook would weep (no stickers, but it's beat up somewhat).

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2007 14:20      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WinterSolstice, one nice thing about the Sidekick is being able to add notes, contacts, calendar events, etc... from the T-Mobile website. My wife can update any of this info without even touching the phone. I do the grocery shopping and many times while I'm in the store new items start popping up on my list that she wants me to pick up.

The downfall though is that all of this info is stored on their server and not on your computer or Sidekick. Unfortunately markspace discontinued The Missing Sync for the Sidekick (Hiptop). You can still download it and it does work for 14 days so I was able to get all my contacts over to the Sidekick.

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2007 14:50      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the central storage is one of the perks for me, provided that I can still access it (cached) when I'm in a non-coverage area.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2007 15:01      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
Actually, the central storage is one of the perks for me, provided that I can still access it (cached) when I'm in a non-coverage area.

You can add and delete info on the phone and once you do get back into a coverage area it will update the info on the server end.

Or add and delete info from the web interface and once the phone is back in a coverage area it will update the info on the phone. At one of the grocery stores I go to, I can't get a cell signal inside, so if my shopping list gets updated or I get an IM, I don't get the info until I'm in the parking lot.

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2007 16:15      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WinterSolstice,

What about Palm's Treos? New ones are a bit on the expensive side, but you can find used 700p models in brand new condition for well under $200, and service is dirt-cheap if you go with Sprint - you can get 1250 minutes, free data, free tethering (unofficial, but it works - *cough* USBModem *cough*), 7pm N&W and unlimited SMS for $50/mo, or 500 minutes for $30/mo. That sure as hell beats having to pay $60 for a stripped-down plan and tortoise-like EDGE data network with CrapT&T.

PS: Got to play with an iPhone today and wasn't too impressed. It's a cool shiny toy, but the interface was painfully slow, the keyboard was quite a PITA to use, and everything crashed like it was running under poorly set up Windows ME. The web browser was quite nice, but newest Opera Mini is just as capable.

JustJess,

The screen held up pretty well against fingernail abuse; not sure how it'll handle keys and coins though - don't think the apple store techs would've been too happy seeing some shady-looking dude trying to scratch their precious iPhone with a key [evil]

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2007 17:22      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
WinterSolstice,

What about Palm's Treos? New ones are a bit on the expensive side, but you can find used 700p models in brand new condition for well under $200, and service is dirt-cheap if you go with Sprint - you can get 1250 minutes, free data, free tethering (unofficial, but it works - *cough* USBModem *cough*), 7pm N&W and unlimited SMS for $50/mo, or 500 minutes for $30/mo. That sure as hell beats having to pay $60 for a stripped-down plan and tortoise-like EDGE data network with CrapT&T.

PS: Got to play with an iPhone today and wasn't too impressed. It's a cool shiny toy, but the interface was painfully slow, the keyboard was quite a PITA to use, and everything crashed like it was running under poorly set up Windows ME. The web browser was quite nice, but newest Opera Mini is just as capable.

Well, I had some really bad experiences with 4 or 5 Treos and Palms, and after my last Windows Mobile/Win CE device (an iPaq 5550) I swore off that whole platform. So I'm going with other stuff - no Win*, no Palm*. I'm down with Symbian or whatever.

--------------------

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2007 06:32      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a very scientific process to decide what phone I plan on purchasing.

I start out by looking at my current phone and proceed with a checklist.

1. Does it work?
Yes. You don't need a new one.
No. You need a new one. Go to #2.

2. Is there anything on sale with my current provider?
Yes. Buy it.
No. Get another provider. Go to #3.

3. What provider has a dirt cheap phone that can make calls without the Camera, MP3 player, Web Browser, Video Camera, Laser Light Show, Garage Door Opener, Vibrator.
Proceed to #4

4. Can it make calls reliably?
Yes. Go to #5
No. Go back to #3

5. Buy it.

Edit: I have never understood the appeal of these new phones. I want to make a reliable phone call and maybe fire off a text message here and there. My phones go through terrible abuse and I cannot justify spending that kind of money on anything that within the first week will be dropped, laid face down on concrete, smacked into door jambs ,because I have a tendency to think that they miraculously move out of my way, or get in the hands of a 6 yr old.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2007 07:03      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked up an 8GB iPhone at the local Apple store on Friday night - amazingly, they had quite a few of them available, and I got there at 8:30PM.

As a gadget junkie, I couldn't ask for anything more, and as far as the actual calling plan goes, they're actually decently competetive considering the unlimited data plan. And most people I call are on the Cingular or AT&T network anywah (free calls).

This thing is freaking cool.

I have no regrets.

Nor does my wallet. [Wink]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2007 07:09      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have to agree with Spiderman. No regrets. Although unlike Spiderman, I waited on like for 8 hours for my iPhone. [Razz] But it was fun hanging out with the other people on line and I was in the first group to go into the store.
Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 01, 2007 10:38      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spidie and angry... SWEET! iPhones aren't available in Canada, but if they would work without activation, I would get one just for the websurfing and iPod-ness. Face it folks, these are the coolest. gadget. ever. [Cool]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2007 15:06      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:
I picked up an 8GB iPhone at the local Apple store on Friday night - amazingly, they had quite a few of them available, and I got there at 8:30PM.

From what Ive heard, Apple stores got a few more than At&T stores (actually quite a few more), as most AT&T stores sold out quickly. You can find them at all sorts of Apple stores still.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2007 18:28      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Spidie and angry... SWEET! iPhones aren't available in Canada, but if they would work without activation, I would get one just for the websurfing and iPod-ness. Face it folks, these are the coolest. gadget. ever. [Cool]

I'm sure someone will find a way soon, but can you even imagine how much it's going to cost unlocked?

Speaking of cool gadgets, this looks pretty interesting, assuming the alleged $199 price isn't a typo.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 01, 2007 18:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iPhone pre-paid...

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/01/prepaid-iphone-in-a-nutshell/

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2007 18:41      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying (but purposely failing) to sign up for a prepaid plan unlocks ipod and wifi features? Whoa, I think I just might get one - $500 is a little steep, but it's not that much more expensive than a high-end PDA, and I assume I can use bluetooth to tether it to my Treo if wifi isn't available [evil]
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2007 02:32      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
For me, the iPhone has a pretty screen that I would scratch up. I would get complained at by the people who think if a computer peripheral is not pristine, I'm a puppy-kicker or something.

Not anal retentive enough to own something not ruggedized. People seeing my 12" powerbook would weep (no stickers, but it's beat up somewhat).

Sorry Jess but I have bad news for your bank account.

Can you resist it now?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2007 06:23      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good link there, Calli. Impressive screen that thing's got, eh?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2007 10:12      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:

Sorry Jess but I have bad news for your bank account.

Can you resist it now?

Actually, yeah. I got a look at the Helio Ocean, and it's looking pretty nice. The iPhone is supposed to be a good cell phone (though it uses a restricted AT&T plan ONLY, and our current AT&T/Cingular reception sucks duck butt), and a great iPod. I own an iPod, so I don't need a new one. Hell, I even own a SLVR, which is an iPod phone that gets AT&T service.

As for internet mobility, there are a few things the Helio has that the Gen-1 iPhone does not. At this point, I'm not going to early adopt, but the ruggedization is a bonus.

Time will tell. That's all I can say about any technology.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2007 20:13      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a cell phone. There's lots of way to say fsck you to society, and this is the way I have chosen. I'm not so important that anyone NEEDS to find me anywhere and everywhere, and I've found that the rest of life's little emergencies can be negotiated without a cell phone (given that mankind has existed far longer than cell phones, this should not be such a shocker). My limited experience with borrowing phones or talking to people on phones has not warmed me to them. The batteries are always dying, the signal is always getting dropped, and assuming none of the former happens there's always some sort of static or distortion that makes the person on the other end hard to hear or understand. I hate talking on the phone to start with; talking to someone on a cell phone with a less than perfect signal is even worse. Therefore, I'm not in line for an iPhone either.

My boyfriend has similar feelings towards cell phones. No wonder we get along so well.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture