homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Component brands in the Mac Pros (HDDs)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Component brands in the Mac Pros (HDDs)
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2007 22:38      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy everybody.

I was wondering if anybody knows what brand components Apple was using in the latest (future?) Mac Pros.

Specifically, I wanted to know about the hard drives. Long story short, some of the customer images on Amazon.com for a Mac Pro showed somebody holding a Maxtor-brand drive either being installed or removed from the chassis.

The last two Macs I've owned came with Seagate hard drives and I can say I've never had any problems with them. Almost every experience I've had with a Maxtor drive, however, has been because somebody brought one to me that was totally dead. So, any lucky Mac Pro owners out there know what kind of drive theirs came with?

Posts: 62 | From: Mount Joy, PA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 08:48      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We purchased a number of 8 cores with 250GB HD (no need for more - we have NAS). They all came with Seagate Barracuda model ST3250820AS. The "SuperDrives" (DL) are all "OPTIARC DVD RW AD-7170A"

So far we are rather pleased with them. 50 machines, no defects yet (They're all week 17).

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 15:43      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be fair I have had Macs with Seagates and Macs with Maxtors and honestly I cannot say I have had any particular complaints with either brand personally.

In my experience I there is no problem with either brand... YMMV obviously.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 16:08      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tut-an-Geek, thanks for mentioning the optical drive brand; I forgot to even ask about that.

Yeah, I can't really say that Maxtor makes bad drives. I think a lot of it has to do with what the user was trying to do with the drive itself. For all I know the failed Maxtor drives I've seen might have been used twenty hours a day with no down time. Also, while it's not terribly important, I should mention these were in PCs, not Macs. I don't know what kind of impact that might make, but it's worth mentioning.

That being said, I like the Seagate drives, so I was kind of hoping to see them in the Mac Pros when I get one. (fingers crossed!) But if you've had good experience with them, then I suppose one can't complain! Thanks for the info...

Posts: 62 | From: Mount Joy, PA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 19:15      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh ohs!!!!!
I looked around more. Some of them are western digital WD2500AAJS.

FWITW, Seagate bought Maxtor a few years ago.

Remind me in a few months and I'll let you know if we have any failures.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture