homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Feeling nostalgic?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feeling nostalgic?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted February 20, 2007 14:18      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This device attaches to your home router and re-creates the sound of a 2400 baud modem dialing in.

http://www.coin-operated.com/projects/forwardcomp.html

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2007 16:06      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha ha ha

that is so cool - I think the gag would wear pretty thin pretty quick but I do have a strange attraction for that old bzzz wah boink boink glah glah wheee kinda thing - maybe if I could set it to only do it when a new user connected or something I would go for it...

Total aside... anyone else here remember the "real" modems where you actually had to put the old phone handset into a foam filled "coupler"? C'mon surely I am not the only one?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2007 16:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serenak & Snaggy______________Those sounds would be funny if I wasn't still dialing out Via V90 Modem. Ah yes the acustic coupled modem and the old audio tape that stored programs in Basic. Takes me back to 1981 all over again. Hey I still smoked and drank back then, my how things have changed and yet here I am still connected with a analog modem to a dialup ISP.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
AgingAmigaoid
Mini Geek
Member # 764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2007 17:34      Profile for AgingAmigaoid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
I do have a strange attraction for that old bzzz wah boink boink glah glah wheee kinda thing

I think you're on to something! I shall set out to make "bzz wah glah glah whee..." my new ringtone!
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2007 17:49      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lovely,

After 2 seconds of the video i started getting bored and was wondering why this all took place in someones bat cave?

But i really don't miss that sound at all.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 2 posted February 20, 2007 18:07      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't miss it, dial up was as costy as slow it was. I'd prefer the Artie Ziff modem add-on which plays Disco music [Razz]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2007 18:09      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember acoustic couplers perfectly well - but I'm not nostalgic for it [Smile]

As it is we're still only in the bronze age of technology using practically paleolithic tools and programs. I certainly have no desire to relive one of the low points... especially when I sit near a fax machine and have to listen to the damn thing all day.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2007 21:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AgingAmigaoid:
[I think you're on to something! I shall set out to make "bzz wah glah glah whee..." my new ringtone!

That's a great idea.

I'll be writing some software for a modem chip in a couple of weeks, so I'll have to remember to make a recording.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture