homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Favorite geek toy stores?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite geek toy stores?
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 14, 2007 08:29      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's help each other out a bit.

Post contact info for your favorite places to shop for all things geek, whether it be brick and mortar, online, catalogue or some combination. Maybe mention your reasons for continuing your patronage.

If you don't mind, I'll go first and suggest American Science and Surplus for many reasons: They have stores, catalogues and online availability; offer a wide variety of useful and fun stuff for many ages; staffed entirely by some of the geekiest geeks I've ever met; their descriptions* of products are entertaining enough to shop with them even if you don't need to buy anything; low prices, great service.

When we were in Illinois their main location was only about 6 miles away. I find no stores to compare with them here in the mountains. [ohwell]

gg

*Sample description: Tongues Of Fire
Or tongue of fire, anyway, unless you buy two. This extremely cool, pulsating red glass plasma lamp is an undulating pointed ribbon shape (you Kiss fans can just think Gene Simmons' tongue), 17-3/4" tall OA, and as eerily fascinating as, well, Gene Simmons' tongue. Draws15W at 120VAC and stands in a 6" x 7-5/8" x 3" tall black oval base with a power switch and 6-foot cord. UL/CSA

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2007 08:43      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my favourite toy shop... NSFW!!! [Wink]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2007 08:43      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just in case someone hasn't heard of
thinkgeek I'll post the URL.

EDIT:

I was also going to post a link to purchasing laboratory standards for heroin and cocaine but the online Fisher and VWR catologues have left this item only in thier print versions.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2007 09:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try Sigma-Aldrich next time. [Wink]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2007 12:28      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NewEgg. Do I need to explain? [Smile]
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2007 12:34      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GG__________________________I have to go with this guy.

http://www.comdac.com/

or maybe here

http://www.aesham.com/

and then I remembered this place.

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/eaglewindturbine.htm

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2007 13:46      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://store.apple.com

and

http://www.geekculture.com/geekculturestore/index.html

of course! [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 17:28      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well of course! But since you beat me to it I'll post this: Computergate ,
Powermax , and Directron .

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 00:50      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astronomer Jedi:
This is my favourite toy shop... NSFW!!! [Wink]

Hmm, I tend to find that that sort of toy shopping is better done in person, unless you're really sure what you want. But yeah, link away [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 04:02      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is better done in person. [Wink]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2007 10:17      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
http://store.apple.com

and

http://www.geekculture.com/geekculturestore/index.html

of course! [Smile]

You're right, Zwilnik! My mistaken oversight may arise from thinking of those two sights as offering essential geek gear ('kit' for the Brits) more than mere toys.

What *was* I thinking? Let me answer with my .sig:

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The-Tech
Geek
Member # 2506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 17:55      Profile for The-Tech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For parts ... resistors, caps chips and other gory bits

Jameco
Digikey

Robot parts

The Robot Store

Solarbotics

For Geek Swag ... Clothing and Cubicle Decor it's Think Geek

Books

Bookpool

Dave

--------------------
God not only plays dice with the universe,
he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen
--- Stephen Hawking

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject -- Winston Churchill

Posts: 128 | From: Third Stone from the Sun | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture