homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Noisemakers & Synths

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Noisemakers & Synths
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 06:56      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who's into toying with noise? I just got a Mac Mini loaded up with Garage Band (super cheap eBay find) and I just want to toy around with sound and noise music now. I got a cheap microphone to run through a soon-to-be-procured vocoder, a line in for my bass guitar's effects box, and put an order on a Thingamagoop synth. I do need a few things first, though...recommendations for things on which I should stock up.

I'm trying to keep things small, because I live in a closet of a bedroom, but miniature vocoders don't seem to be a very popular item. What's the most compact, the widest range of effects, and the most fun one out there?

What are the best, cheapest, smallest portable digital recorders out there? I'm itching for something that I can stow in my pocket next to my smokes and just tote around all day, in case I come upon any interesting noise to sample. (I work downtown, so this is a given.)

Where can I find freebie beat loops? I don't know any drummers, and powernoise just doesn't work without a drum beat.

I'm itching to get some Nurse With Wound or early Wumpscut type music cranked out, just for the fun of it. [Big Grin]

Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 23:50      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One piece of what seems to be unconventional wisom would be to focus more on "what I can do with my synth" than "how many presets I can play with." What I'm trying to say is, learn your equipment, whatever it is, and learn how to make it do what you want it to do (within or completely outside of a reason, your pick). Aside from that, noise is pretty fun to make, and almost all synths can come up with some pretty interesting noises. So, get one, learn it, try it out, RTFM, all that jazz.
Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 09:39            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed.

In "mainstream" music, you have a limited number of instruments to play with -- you have to play the saxophone or electric guitar or flute the same as everyone else. No-one will notice if they've heard that instrument before.

In electronic music you have much greater freedom to define your own sound, and if you use the same synth sound in one of your tunes as someone else used in theirs, it sounds like unoriginality and plagiarism to me. I also find that some of the most interesting tracks are those where the artist didn't stick to the conventions of any genre or sub-style but chose their own path exactly as they pleased. OK, this is a real pain when I come to put the MP3 into a folder and can't figure out which one it should go in but it's still nice to hear originality instead of copying an existing style.

Avoid copying another artist, just create the sound that you desire from within and see what happens.

IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 18:06      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dem,

don't know if this is any use to you, but by strange coincidence I stumbled across it about 1 hour before reading your post

Hydrogen, free drum machine

actually the whole www.freemacware.com site is pretty damn useful

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture