homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Ubuntu and OS X, sitting in a tree...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ubuntu and OS X, sitting in a tree...
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 05, 2006 21:24      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, after running into problems getting SuSE and OS X to communicate, I obliterated SuSE and installed Ubuntu over it.

code:
if( !know )
{
String Backstory = "I have a Piece of Sh*t PC (POS for short)
that was running Win2K and SuSE 10.1. I also
have a Mac Mini running 10.4.8. While I could
mount shares from SuSE in OS X, I could not
write to them (though I could read and copy from them).
I also have a printer hooked up to the POS that I
normally share out to OS X when running Win2K.
Didn't work from SuSE. Network setup, for various
reasons that I currently have no control over,
is that the Mini is sharing out the cable connection
to the POS."
}
else
{
skipBackstory();
}

Ubuntu has resolved my networking issues; OS X can see and write to my Linux shares and Ubuntu can see and write to my OS X shares. Oh, I am able to share my printer from Ubuntu to OS X (after I figured out the correct URI -- possible later rant concerning OS X). Printing Works! [Big Grin]

It seems that something is not quite right with SuSE's SMB implementation. Or, OS X's and Ubuntu's are broken in such a way that they compliment each other. Either way, it works, I'm happy. And, as a bonus, getting compiz and xgl working was pretty easy compared with what I had to do with SuSE. Oh, and my nvidia drivers were also easy to get working. I do have some complaints about Ubuntu, but that is most likely another post.

Overall, life is good in the computer world. Until tomorrow, at least. This type of computing nirvana can't last long. The machines know when we are happy and work to ruin our day. It comes from the love we humans code into our software and firmware. [ohwell]

Anyway, for now I shall bask in *Nix happiness and leave Win2K to rest a while. Before I forget; many, many thanks to MoMan and Elvermere for their help and suggestions. Thanks guys, you pointed me in the right direction.

tweety

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2006 03:41      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tweety____________________You did not mention what version of Ubuntu you did install. On the newest 6.06 LTS it has a manage programs feature that makes installing new programs and updates quite painless.
I had problems because of low memory 6.06 LTS likes and wants 256Mgs, if you do not have that much in the comp it will build a swap file. Therein lies the trap if you do not have two drives it will build the swap during boot and then during install it will try to reformat over the swap (cough,cough and die right there) and not give you any clues as to why, well it does if you are a good enough code head I'm not.

Now "Let hear Paint it Black"

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted October 06, 2006 08:28      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan,
You're right, I did not mention the version. I completely forgot in my happiness. I installed 6.06 LTS, and my PC has 512 MB RAM, 2 HDD's. The boot drive that holds Win2K and Ubuntu is 120 GB and the second drive is 250 GB with 3 partitions. The install went smoothly enough, although when I boot into Ubuntu it tells me that the boot sector and its backup do not match, and then it proceeds to check the drives. I think it throws that error because I installed over SuSE which was formatted as reiserFS and Ubuntu was formatted as ext3. I had to first delete the SuSE partitions, resize the root partition as there was ~250 MB unallocated space, and then format and install. Otherwise, I used the partitions as is (hda split into hda1 [Win2K], hda2 [Linux] and hda3 [swap], with hda2 split into hda5 [root] and hda6 [home]). Something to worry about, or is it one of those deep, dark, Linux mysterious that requires unholy knowledge of the black arts to decipher?

tweety

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2006 08:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tweety______________I duhknow My system is really borked however it works, when it screws up I will fix it correctly.

Now "Lets hear Paint it Blacl."

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2006 16:59      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using Ubuntu for a few months now on an old IBM Thinkpad I picked up, and upgraded to 6.06 LTS recently. It's the first Linux distribution I've used for an extended period of time, and has almost replaced my desktop. I've had some trouble, but their online documentation has helped me solve most of my problems.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 09:45      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan,
Ah, yes, I've played the "let it slide until it really breaks" game. Usually works out well. I did that with botched Win2K/WinME dual boot setup. Waited until the weirdness became annoying. After I fixed the setup everything was fine. It got even better later on when I completely removed Win ME and left just Win2K.

Sxeptomaniac,
I've found the Ubuntu forums quite amazing in their helpfulness. More so than any other Linux distro's (including SuSE and Red Hat, before it was Fedora). I've been able to find answers quick and easy, and I haven't felt like pulling out my hair in frustration, yet. I looked through their online docs, but found them a little sparse, but still helpful. All in all, I think it's a great distro. Now all I'll need to do at some point is get KDE installed (for testing purposes).

tweety

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 13:27      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tweety____________________Ok here goes, I did not have 256Mgs of ram so Kubuntu made a swap file, then I told the installer to do an automatic install it tried to format a swap file over the in use swap file, not unlike a snake swallowing itself. So I added a drive and set the installer to use hdb1 and do the install. all went well untill I took out hda1 and changed the jumpers the boot info was in hda1 that was laying on the desk not the hda1 set as master so I had to reset the jumpers and put the smaller drive back in. Then when I when on Line and got all of the updates it put them in hda1 but I still want to boot from hdb1 because that is where all of my home files are, however when I downloaded a bunch of Ham Radio files it put them in hda1 not hdb1 so I have to choose do ham stuff of web surfing at startup.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture