homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Who's Got a Mac Pro? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Who's Got a Mac Pro?
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 12:03      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So anyone out there snag a Mac Pro yet? Opinions?
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 12:23      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the RAM... still pending on the machines... will post pix... Have already gone over the Service manual and service training.
but that info is classified... [Wink]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 12:56            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, Mac OS X ruins it for me ;) but I was blown away by the specs. Two dual gigabit Ethernet ports? Slide out hard drive bays.

For someone who still has a working 2 MHz machine set up, and who's had a Classic going as a Web server, it's almost beyond my comprehension who would ever need the specs that a Mac Pro offers, but you can guarantee never wanting for anything after that. There's enough power to make that machine do absolutely everything including a high-traffic Web application server, your home router, Photoshop, encode movies ...

Good grief.

Put a decent OS on it and maybe I'll give one a home one of these days =-P

IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 13:11      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I have to admit that I have been guilty of Mac envy. That is, until the last month.

So while I am greatly impressed by the specs, I will stick to Debian on a WinTel box.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 13:57      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:

Put a decent OS on it and maybe I'll give one a home one of these days =-P

Hey...I think this might suit your needs... [Smile]

That Mac Pro's got more than enough power to emulate a PPC as fast as your StarMax. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 14:48            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually there was a bloke on the iCab list asking about running Classic on an Intel Mac, he'd tried to persuade Parallels to take it up, but Parallels is a virtualiser not a PPC emulator. I guess Apple have had enough of Classic by now, since Intel Mac OS X already has a PowerPC emulator...

(I gather you can't just run a PPC copy of Classic under Rosetta? ;)

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 15:11      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You cannot run Classic under Rosetta. You can only run certain applications - and those cannot use AltiVec extensions. As the linked site says, Apple really ought to give the open source project a hand, to help out Mac fans... but you can guess just how much Apple cares. Instead, they're bending over backwards to let their system dual boot to Windows, and selling Parallels in their retail stores.

Oh well, I guess that's just why I believe in the Power of Open Source.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 16:18            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<mlud voice>You linked to something?</mlud voice>

I even tried clicking the smiley, but no dice. I think you are mistaken, my friend.

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 18:41      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought they added AltiVec capability into Rosetta some time around the public release... [Confused]

Anyway... it seems really strange to me that the only way I can get The Fool's Errand (an early awesome Mac game) to run now is to start up in Windows XP, and then run it in a Mac emulator from there. [crazy]

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 19:02            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Start up a virtualiser inside Mac OS X, and run Windows XP within that. Now, run the PowerPC Mac emulator within that :> For best results, run Virtual PC within that. Might even get a good speed up on the Mac Pro :P
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 20:57      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
<mlud voice>You linked to something?</mlud voice>

I even tried clicking the smiley, but no dice. I think you are mistaken, my friend.

Terribly sorry...I could /swear/ I linked to this:
http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 21:34            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D'oh! 9.0.4?! That means no Window menu in the Finder, the pain! (Actually A-Dock+Wapp Pro makes up for not having one in either Picture Viewer or SimpleText)

"We'll call you Shaun"

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 30, 2006 05:36      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOOHOO!! I got my toy! [Smile] Hehehehe!!

But it's a big, heavy mofo of a machine! But I will love it, cuddle it, take care of it and call it Boo.

[Applause]

Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 09:25      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to get the Mac Book Pro. I am done with desk top computers. I know they pack more power and you can add more to them. But I like my mobility. Sit on the couch, Lay in bed or right at the kitchen table.

I did have a friend over the other day and I was showing her the specs and she was practically drooling on my laptop.

And someone has to say it. I love OSX and there fore it does have an awsome OS on it.

Go ahead, ask when the last time I restarted one of my Mac's (With OSX). My tower with XP just doesn't cut it. I only use it to play SWG.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 09:40            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shrug* Win 2k uptime 130 days 15 mins. And Mac OS X, like Windows, requires a reboot for system updates. If you want to avoid that nonsense, go Linux.

I am waiting for a full, consumer microkernel system that won't even crash if your video/sound/network/Wi-Fi card driver goes spoggly. Even Linux cries to its mommy if your driver poos itself.

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 10:16      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
*shrug* Win 2k uptime 130 days 15 mins. And Mac OS X, like Windows, requires a reboot for system updates. If you want to avoid that nonsense, go Linux.

I am waiting for a full, consumer microkernel system that won't even crash if your video/sound/network/Wi-Fi card driver goes spoggly. Even Linux cries to its mommy if your driver poos itself.

GNU/Hurd looks promising..
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 10:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure...and that'll be ready next century...

...maybe the next decade if anyone actually cares.

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted August 30, 2006 10:23      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BooBooKitty ... I demand you post pics of that mofo!!!
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 12:25      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think you can handle it?

(Hafta wait until I get home. Pics are on the Mac Pro) [Razz]

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 14:30      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You asked for it, so here it is....
 -
 -
 -

Maybe another time I will have pics of its innards.

Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted August 31, 2006 09:15      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The mofo looks like a stack of dashes? I think something went horribly wrong with the mofo-pic-posting [crazy]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 09:23      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... They were up the last night... I will have to remedy this later...

[ohwell]

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 09:26      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blogger doesn't like referrers:

Cut 'n' paste:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4915/121/1600/DSC01908.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4915/121/1600/DSC01912.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4915/121/1600/DSC01913.jpg

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 09:39      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm, shiny.

</drool>

The MightyClub household desperately needs to upgrade its hardware, but the budget for electronics is approximately $0.17 right now. I'm hoping we'll be able to manage a MacBook soon. The purple iMac DV I'm usually stuck with makes life pretty painful.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 10:27            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nononono, just drag the link to the tab bar (all but IE 7) or the address bar (IE 6-). Damn, I need to make this a canned response.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture