homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Windows app

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Windows app
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 11:55      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.launchy.net/

Don't know how many of you run Windows, but this is a very nifty little program for those that do.

Posts: 76 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 18:55            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wrote a program like that once for the Mac, it mostly worked but I had a few problems. I generally found it easier to live without it.

Windows itself is weird. You can launch many programs via Start > Run, e.g. firefox, iexplore, calc, charmap (Character Map), cmd, mspaint (pbrush also works). None of them are in the path so I have no idea what exactly makes them recognisable without a full path to the binary. Registry? Windows Explorer is Win-E, toggle desktop is Win-D. Run is Win-R.

I also saw a program for the Mac like Launchy that indexes the entire drive, and really that would be the ideal. Something like Google Desktop or MSN desktop search, or even the standard in-built indexing of Mac OS 9 and Windows 2000, could be used to retrieve matching filenames very fast.

In theory, the idea is sound, but it falls over when you have too many files with the same name :P It's certainly handy when you have no idea where you saved a file.

It's funny, how Mac OS used to be the state of the art with entire drive searches in seconds. Now we're at the point where searching is near instantaneous. Spotlight, for example, is so much faster and good fun. Even if the UI sucks monkey bollocks. Btw, in Spotlight, you can't right-click files can you? (Since you can do that in Sherlock/Sherlock 2)

Which reminds me of another idea, that of an advanced global context menu API, with concepts such as mutator feedback (did we alter the data?) and mutator filtering (do we want the data altered?)

But hey. For everything else there's Quick Launch.

IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2006 06:29      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
their is a program which is pretty much exactly the same on the microsoft website, i have it and to be honest, it is more trouble than it is worth.
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2006 10:19      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have noticed that some programs add their own PATH= settings to different areas of windows (INIs and Regestry as well as a few other spots I cant remember.) this allows them to launch multiple windows of themselves.
Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2006 10:34      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:

Windows itself is weird. You can launch many programs via Start > Run, e.g. firefox, iexplore, calc, charmap (Character Map), cmd, mspaint (pbrush also works). None of them are in the path so I have no idea what exactly makes them recognisable without a full path to the binary. Registry? Windows Explorer is Win-E, toggle desktop is Win-D. Run is Win-R.

You picqued my curiosity on that one. Here's the answer I've figured out:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\

In fact, you'll find an entry for pbrush that points to mspaint. I was curious about msconfig...which docs everywhere suggest running from Start->Run. Personally, I prefer to use a command prompt (for my own fickle reasons), and I was always annoyed that it wouldn't launch from there. This answers my question ('twas the 2nd result from a Reg. search for 'msconfig')

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2006 13:45            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How weird... I should make use of that to add other programs in there [Smile] I also love how it supports aliases, so I could reduce Firefox to a mere "ff".

The down side is that it's typically Microsoftish. Crap. It's not driven by a dynamic system that allows all programs to be found, but a small hard-coded list that has to be tended. And it's not easily user accessible. I have the Sony USB driver in the list, too (for PhAtfiSh's old Sony CyberShot)... I don't know why anyone wants to load it from the command line anyway (!) but I was sure that I had long since uninstalled when I got my own camera, as it left a very bad taste in my mouth for not being true USB Mass Storage (which is driverless). So AppPaths appears not to even have clean-up.

IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture