homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » What HDTV should I get?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What HDTV should I get?
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 13:48      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, Iím getting an HDTV. What should I get:

1. Plasma TV
2. LCD TV
3. DLP TV

I'm leaning heavily towards the 3rd option, itís the cheapest, and Iíve heard good things about DLP: http://www.dlp.com/

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 13:56      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DLP is pretty good, but for size and lifespan I would take the LCD. [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 14:04      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go for LCD. Plasma just sucks.
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 16:32      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
splitpeasoup_________________________Here is the way I treat the newer techs. Get a good Flat panel monitor and a HDTV Recorder that also has analog channels unless you are served by a cable company that has made the change, otherwise just go the HD then as things evole and one or more parts of the system become outdated you can replace as needed.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 20:46      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're looking to save some coin: DLP.

If you want good: LCD.

If you're stupid: plasma.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2006 06:16      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DLP has something the others don't: you can easily and fairly inexpensively change the bulb that projects the light.

A lot of LCDs I see have a tendency to oversaturate the reds.

Mitsubishi seems to have made a strong comeback in recent years on DLP.

I have an uber-geek tech freak brother-in-law who has one, and it looks great. I'm currently specing a Mitsubishi 60" for the cabinetry I'm building for my media room.

Probably go with Philips or Toshiba flat panels in the kitchen, and bedrooms.

Communist-cast cable will have to go since they have HDTV scehduled in my area sometime in the 27th century. Then I'll switch to satelite, and subscribe to NFL Sunday ticket.

Go for 1080p.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2006 15:42      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CP_____________________________I have a great dislike for Toshiba, mainly because they sold technology that they did not develop to the Russian Submarine builders. Until they sold that tech the soviet subs had a distintive sound signature, By the way the programs were developed here in the states and were on the State Department list of forbiden exports to Soviet Bloc states, hince my dislike of Toshiba. Good "O" Conservative logic any thing for money.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 11:33      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The main reason I'm considering DLP (aside from price) is that my current set has things burned into it from gaming. I am not responsible about this, and I don't want to ruin my brand new exciting set the first time I pass out in front of the TV with my game paused. As far as I'm aware DLP is the only option that prevents burn-in, true?
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 12:31      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
CP_____________________________I have a great dislike for Toshiba, mainly because they sold technology that they did not develop to the Russian Submarine builders. Until they sold that tech the soviet subs had a distintive sound signature, By the way the programs were developed here in the states and were on the State Department list of forbiden exports to Soviet Bloc states, hince my dislike of Toshiba. Good "O" Conservative logic any thing for money.

Note to self: from now on, only buy stuff made by Toshiba [Razz]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 16:55      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm. I bet I could trace the origins of most corporations in the US, Japan, and Europe to nefarious beginnings. However, I went and looked at a bunch of sets yesterday and I am not considering Toshiba. I was surprised at how little difference there really is in image quality between the formats, it seems to have more to do with brand. But I still prefer DLP for the no-burn-in/fading/dead pixels reason. Here's my first choice so far: http://www.dlp.com/home_entertainment/home_entertainment_product_detail.asp?id=856

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture