homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Hunting for old kit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hunting for old kit
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 13:13      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a question for all you scavenger-types out there. I am into old hardware, mixing and matching and making the old and formerly dead into something useful.

Where do you guys go to get old hardware. What tips and tricks do you have to find the good stuff that other people get rid of?

How can I increase my geek-scavenger prowess?

--------------------
And a thousand thousand slimy things
Lived on; and so did I.

Posts: 111 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 13:16      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually I just let it be known that if it is old and you don't want it, I'll have it... and then I just skip the trash and keep the bits worth having.

Soon you will have more old junk ("cough" valuable legacy kit "cough") than you know what to do with...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 19:21      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look on local freecyle sites (do a Google search for them). People give the stuff away on a regular basis.
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 00:15      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drop a post on Craigslist in your city. Let 'em know you'll come and get it--list what you'll take and what you won't.

--------------------
I already used my best sig on Slashdot.

Posts: 92 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 01:26      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Register with your local Freecycle group. You can score some nice stuff through them.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 10:58      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the pointers, guys. I found some junker PCs on Freecycle-- hopefully I can scavenge some usefulness from them. I remember seeing a link to Freecycle here a while back, but I had forgotten about it. I have some old junk that could use a good home, so I might just start using this a lot more.

--------------------
And a thousand thousand slimy things
Lived on; and so did I.

Posts: 111 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 11:24      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just beware, speaking from experience, I can tell you running a lot of computers can end up costing you more in electricity bills than they're worth.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture