homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » iAudio X5

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: iAudio X5
tubaboy24
Newbie Larva
Member # 5058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2006 19:08      Profile for tubaboy24   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anybody besides me gotten this thing? It's an mp3 player with video for the same price as an iPod. Best thing is it's organized by files and folders like on the hard drive, instead of tags, so if you got all of your music back when napster was legal and none of your tags are right, it still works. It works a lot like winamp and i love it!

--------------------
What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
African:38-40mph
European:24mph :D

Posts: 7 | From: The basement | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2006 21:35      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tubaboy24:
Has anybody besides me gotten this thing? It's an mp3 player with video for the same price as an iPod. Best thing is it's organized by files and folders like on the hard drive, instead of tags, so if you got all of your music back when napster was legal and none of your tags are right, it still works. It works a lot like winamp and i love it!

Haven't heard of it but I got an iPod Video (it's an Mp3 Player with video for the same price as an iPod, LOL) and I am very unhappy with its proprietary centralized database which needs iTunes or similar software to put tracks into the player. That sucks bigtime!

I got some programs to help make it suck less (like Yamipod) but it's still a major annoyance. I actually rather regret getting this iPod (a bit overpriced if you ask me) but what's done is done.

Posts: 118 | From: Manila | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
tubaboy24
Newbie Larva
Member # 5058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2006 16:16      Profile for tubaboy24   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the nice thing about the X5 is that it can be used like an external hard drive to back stuff up in an emergency without using tricky software or deleting the stuff you have already. just drag and drop [Smile]
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2006 17:35      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so can any usb flash or hd driven storage device - iPod or otherwise - on a Mac at least [Smile]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
tubaboy24
Newbie Larva
Member # 5058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2006 12:48      Profile for tubaboy24   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm pretty sure that putting data straight onto an ipod is a pretty tricky operation. this mp3 player only needs software for converting video to the right resolution. music and all other files can just be drag and dropped in explorer
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2006 13:32      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tubaboy24:
i'm pretty sure that putting data straight onto an ipod is a pretty tricky operation. this mp3 player only needs software for converting video to the right resolution. music and all other files can just be drag and dropped in explorer

Nope. Just set to be a data disc also in the prefs.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
soimless
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5066

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2006 22:24      Profile for soimless   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too love my x5!! I have rockbox installed on it right now so I can't use the video feature and it eats my battery to no end (but hey I can play doom and gapless audio)
Posts: 1 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
tubaboy24
Newbie Larva
Member # 5058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 12:26      Profile for tubaboy24   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i guess i learned something, then. As you can tell, i'm not and apple fanboy. The X5L that i have does have 35 hours of battery life, though.
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 14:28      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are two reasons I'm prepared to pay a little extra for the iPod: interface and design. No other audio player has ever come close to even the first iPod in either field.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2006 23:50      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ipod also works exactly like an external USB2 harddrive, the only thing you need external software for is the music, videos and photos.

Everything else you can just drag and drop into the iPod. That's one good thing about it: I now have a very chic 30GB harddisk wherever I go. But I need to lug the cable around as well, though which is a bummer.

It's not a trick operation at all; it's literally a 30GB external USB drive.

Now the biggest bummer of the iPod: the battery life is horrible. I have to charge this thing pretty much everyday. My old Creative Muvo ran on a single AAA Ni-Mh battery (rated at 800ma) and I didn't have to change batteries for like 2-3 days.... and it is simple to keep spares.

I do agree that the iPod has excellent interface and design: one of the things that got me was the clickwheel, and being the geeky schmuck I am I thought it was so cool! The design is also very sexy. I got the black one though, not very fond of white, and the 30GB is sexier than the 60GB video. The nano is also one hell of a sexy player.

But that interface has its price: the clickwheel and the marvelous backlit LCD screen eat up so much battery power! As I said these things go through their battery so fast, it's ridiculous.

Another thing is how limited the iPod is: it's basically a huge overpriced MP3 player. It has video capacity, too but the battery life on that is even shorter.

You can keep notes and calendars on it, but not being able to edit the notes on the go is a big pain.

When the Sony Ericsson W950 comes out later this year I just may opt to get that. It's hella sexy, it's a phone, a 4GB flash MP3 player, and a PDA in one!

It's got touch screen interface, which will undoubteldy kick the crud out of the clickwheel, and with a stylus you can use it as a PDA to do tasks, notes, memos, etc. It also plays video with its gorgeous screen, and since it's a Sony walkman device the soundchip used in it will probably sound better than whatever crap they used in the iPod (the iPod does not sound as good as my old Creative MuVo).

I will probalby sell this iPod when that phone comes, it's not even out yet and I'm already in love with it!

Now that I have an iPod, I can say that the real benefit of the iPod isn't as an MP3 palyer, it's as a status symbol. I'm not into all that status crap but if I so much as wear the buds that came with the iPod people are like, "wow you have an iPod! *worship*" Heck and I don't even like those buds, they're white (my Ipod is black and so is its case) and don't sound as good as even my lower end Sennheisers.

It's really the "in thing" to have right now and having one is sure to raise your social standing in one way or another. People were never like this when I had my Creative MuVo.

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2006 06:39      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mochan:

... it's basically a huge overpriced MP3 player...

Bingo.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 18:08      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd better try to live up to my reputation as the resident Apple fanboy. (Well, if I had a reputation, that might be it.)

quote:
Originally posted by Mochan:
When the Sony Ericsson W950 comes out later this year I just may opt to get that. It's hella sexy, it's a phone, a 4GB flash MP3 player, and a PDA in one!

It's got touch screen interface, which will undoubteldy kick the crud out of the clickwheel, and with a stylus you can use it as a PDA to do tasks, notes, memos, etc. It also plays video with its gorgeous screen, and since it's a Sony walkman device the soundchip used in it will probably sound better than whatever crap they used in the iPod (the iPod does not sound as good as my old Creative MuVo).

Okay... it seems that this is where we differ. I don't want some phone that makes a half-arsed job of being a phone, an audio player and a PDA (I bet it has a camera too, right?). I want a really good phone (which I have, but it's about 5 years old now). I want a great audio player (which I have - my 3 year old iPod) and. I want the best PDA available (which I have - my Newton Messagepad 2100; still waiting for something better). And I want them all to be really good at what they do. If something better comes along, I'll replace it, and I won't have to replace the whole lot.

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised about the phone's interface, but I doubt it. A touch screen that size would seem silly to me. I like to have all my songs in a list and navigate through. The iPod's touchwheel's 'inertia' allows me to get through thousands in a few seconds, yet gives me plenty of accuracy to slow down and select the right one. I don't know how they'll do that on a phone. I know no one has done as good a job yet. SonyEricsson haven't come close - their interfaces have been getting slower and slower since the T68i.

But yes, I can imagine the battery life would be restrictive to some users. I like to update my iPod every day with podcasts, but if I were taking it on a long trip, I'd find it annoying to have to take a charger.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 19:04      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No camera, which is one of the things I like about it. I hate cameras on my phones. I use it as a phone, not a digicam.

And really, why would it be half-arsed? The battery life looks to be at least as good as the iPod's, its screen is a lot better than the iPod's (the iPod Video itself is a half-assed video player wannabe), the interface is better, and it's got 4GB of flash RAM, as much as the Nano. Sure it's bigger than the nano, but it's a phone and a PDA to boot, and it's actually smaller than some PDAs.

It may not be the "best" PDA like the Newton Messenger (have no idea what that is, though) but it has all the functions I need it for: notes, tasks, memos, contacts, calendar. That's what I need it for as a PDA.

Also, in terms of contacts it is better than any strict PDA: with a converged device you can dial up your contacts directly with a touch of a button, something no straight PDA can do unless maybe you use Skype to call via WiFi internet. (though probably still not at the touch of a button)

Also, the iPod isn't exactly the best mp3 player either; the battery life is a real pain, my last MP3 player used to last me 3 days at least, AND the battery was user-removable and was standard! You could go to a quickymart and buy a replacement battery if worse came to worst. Further, the iPod Video and Nano (dunno about the older models) aren't snappy at all when it comes to navigating your playlists; they tend to stutter when you move from list to list. Perhaps most importantly, sound quality isn't the best either; lack of equalizer options has been a huge issue for many people, and as I said its actual sound quality isn't as good as my old MuVo.

Further, they keep requiring resets every now and then when they get brain farts. iPods aren't the best in the musicplayer class, either. They are, however, the best in the status symbol class.

quote:
I like to have all my songs in a list and navigate through.
I don't doubt that you can have a play list as well. As much as I'm in love with the clickwheel, it doesn't hold a candle to Winamp and the mouse. The touchscreen will give the ability to navigate your lists with mouse-like precision. I bet it'll be a lot easier.

But at this point, you are getting more into subjective preference. This particular argument has no bearing on your original thesis that a converged device can't be as good at what a dedicated device does.

quote:

The iPod's touchwheel's 'inertia' allows me to get through thousands in a few seconds, yet gives me plenty of accuracy to slow down and select the right one. I don't know how they'll do that on a phone.

I don't know what's so hard to imagine about it. A touchscreen can do anything a touch wheel can, and then some. You could have a program emulate exactly what the touch wheel does on a touch screen. Why, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody already made one for a PocketPC somewhere.

By the way, how can you scroll through 1000s of entries so quickly? When I scroll through just 10GB worth of albums it takes me a while to get to the bottom no matter how fast I spin. This was one of my peeves about the larger iPods; made me want to get a smaller iPod instead.

Well, I'll hold off on my verdict of the W950 until I get my hands on it, but its looking to be sweet to me, and is targetting me for exactly what I need. Right now I am in the market for a converged device for an mp3 player, a basic PDA and a phone.

This is the nice thing about the later Ericsson lines: they are creating devices for each segment. They have the "everything-but-the-kitchen sink" phone, too (P990) but they also made devices that focus on just music player and phone, and phone/camera, etc. I think this is good and means you don't have to sacrifice too much of the specialization.

I am just wary of Symbian OS; I haven't tried a Symbian PDA and I don't now how well it will integrate with Outlook.

***** EDIT *****

Okay, I did some research. How is this Newton Messenger the best PDA available?

The design is very industrial, well if your taste is for that then more power to you, but it doesn't look very appealing to me. That's all subjective though, let's look at some facts.

That thing is huge. No, that would be too kind; it's a hulking MONSTER. 1.4 pounds?! My Z22 is 3 grams!!! I don't even notice that it's in my pocket! This thing is 635 grams!!! The W950 is only 112g.

The dimensions are also staggering; the W950 is 4.1x2.1x.6 inches; the messenger is 8.3x4.7x1.1. It's twice the size! Is that a Newton Messenger in your pocket or are you really happy to see me?

It only has 8MB of RAM (expandable at least), grayscale, and I can't imagine it having more 3rd party support than Palm. Wikipedia says it had some pretty good software support but since the Apple scripting language was discontinued apparently it's nowhere near as well-supported as a Palm.

The best thing about it seems to be its battery life and that it takes AA battery packs (a good thing -- though you do sacrifice size, must be why it is so monstrous).

I'm not even going to get into the lack of other features like WiFi and Bluetooth. You could argue though that a straight PDA doesn't need those.

I'm sorry, but this thing sounds like a dinosaur. Are you sure it's not just your self-confessed Apply fanboyism that is telling you to say that this is the best PDA ever? Even my extremely basic Z22 looks like a better PDA than this.

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2006 05:13      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You make lots of very good points. And you're right, I get very subjective. So yes, it sounds like you're making the right decision, and you'll be getting a great phone which you'll be very happy with.

I shouldn't have speculated on products which I haven't played with. My problem is that so far, I haven't found a phone as fast, responsive and perfect for me as my ancient Sony J5. At the moment, it's held together with sellotape and its sound quality is getting worse and worse. I have money to spend, I'd like a colour screen and bluetooth, but I just don't want to deal with any newer ones I've played with (and I try to play with lots of phones - friends', in shops etc.).

And for all I know the new iPod interface is slow... I just know that my current iPod suits me more than any other audio player I have used. I love the fact that it doesn't have fancy icons... the screen is just full of the titles of my music. That really appeals to me.

Heh... the Messagepad is probably the hardest to defend. But it's true - I haven't found anything else yet that would fill my needs as well as it does. I can take written notes during a lecture, at full speed (it'll convert them to text later). I can add quick sketches. I can wirelessly (admittedly with the use of an expansion card) send them to my laptop or to my college account. I can play the odd game when I'm bored. It can tell me when I need to go somewhere. That's all I need it to do. Every time I'm tempted by a newer PDA, I try go through that process to see if it has been improved. So far, I haven't found anything that even comes close. Sure, I could sketch in colour, or watch a video on the newer ones... but the handwriting recognition and interface make it take twice the time to do what I want it to.

I've tried to use lots of first person pronouns in there to show that I appreciate that other people have different needs. But for now, I'll have to stick to what I have.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 10 posted April 22, 2006 06:31      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mochan wrote:
My Z22 is 3 grams!!!

Gotta be a typo... I'm fairly sure I've blown boogers heavier than that.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2006 17:49      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bad! It's 3 ounces, not 3 grams. [Smile] It's about 96 grams. Those durn Americans gotta stop using the English system!

Back to maximile, I know what you mean about resposiveness. There are convergent devices which are sooooo slow. Take the XDA Atom for instance. And hey, I could have sworn that my friend's 4G iPod was a lot faster than my iPod Video. I guess feature creep does take its toll on speed!

I can only hope the W950 performs and does not let me down; I am looking forward to it now after looking at the pics and the specs, but who knows, it could be another disappointment.

Now about your messagepad, you brought up one feature which sounds really great: taking notes at full speed. That's something I wish my Z22 could do.

How does handwriting recognition work with the Messagepad? What recognition type does it use, block or the cursive type of input? You mention something interesting: you initially take notes in the "sketch mode? And then it later converts it to normal text? That sounds cool. Even though I've been practicing with my Palm, it doesn't look like I can take notes with it anywhere near as fast as I would regular paper.

Anyway, you're right about personal needs, and for my needs one of them is pocketspace; I'd like to have all my gadgets in one magic device that does it all, to save my trouser pockets from splitting at the seems. The W950 looks like it's the closest to bringing my PDA, my phone and my MP3 player together.

In your case it seems the exact opposite: I take it you don't really care much for the size and pocketability factor. I can respect that easy.

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2006 18:38      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, pocket space isn't my main concern.

On the MessagePad, when you choose 'ink' mode (where it stores your writing for later recognition) you can write at full speed. It just shrinks your words slightly so you can still read them but fit more onto a page. Then, when you want to, you can select them and double tap - it'll go through them converting them all to text.

Of course, it can recognise handwriting on the fly. I just find it a little too slow. Presumably, if they one day make a new one, it'll have a faster processor that can cope with any speed of writing.

You can tell it whether or not you write in cursive. I don't, because I don't really trust it, but lots of people say that they get good results. You certainly don't have to learn a new character set like Palm's Graffiti.

BTW - the early MessagePads' HWR sucked, giving it a bad reputation.

Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2006 21:07      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ink mode sounds cool, I hope I can find a PDA someday that has something like that. This one has the scribble mode where you can take quick notes, but it's really just a bitmap capture, and as far as I know you can't translate it to text, at least not without some external character recognition software.

This current one I have can recognize handwriting easy, but as you said, it is slow (and you can make mistakes writing).

I'm a big fan of cursive input, it's very natural so there is minimal time needed to learning something new, and I get very good results. Just not as fast as normal writing.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture