homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » No-Cd Crack

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No-Cd Crack
Lynners
Newbie Larva
Member # 4975

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 18:25      Profile for Lynners     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was searching on google for a no-Cd Crack (yes i know you guys all think its wrong and piracy) and i came across your webstie, with a lovely little forum discussing the Warcraft III game back in 2002 http://www.geekculture.com/ultimatebb/Forum9/HTML/000640.html
No i was wondering, since i cant reply to that post because you have changed links. would it be considered piracy to download a no-cd crack, if you had already bought the software, but the cd had been lost, damaged beyond repair, or stolen? and you still had it installed on your PC?

--------------------
Thank god for Christians

Posts: 9 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 19:20      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you truly own a legal copy, I see no problem with applying a workaround.

I own a copy of Guild Wars, and my disc set recently disappeared. Fortunately, copy protection is in the way of a unique serial number attached to your account, not SafeDisc or somesuch, but if physical protection was in place, I wouldn't hesitate to apply a patch.

My $0.02 YMMV, blablabla.

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 23:53      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NoCD crack is not piracy, but it's wrong. There's always the risk of viruses, trojans and spyware when you apply a patch to a program. Most websites with such content is full of those malware.

I think it's better to use a virtual cd drive. It takes some disk space but it's safer, totally legal and if you lose the original disc you can always burn a new one with the disc image. Just my 0.0270219878 TL [Wink]

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2006 00:27      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugurcan:
NoCD crack is not piracy, but it's wrong. There's always the risk of viruses, trojans and spyware when you apply a patch to a program. Most websites with such content is full of those malware.

I think you mean "not a good idea" rather than "wrong". Let alone the arms war between CD drive simulation software like you mention and CD copy protection that won't allow the game to run if it detects it at all.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2006 13:58      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My self I am trying to figure out why Alcohol 120% stoped working because it is the (IMHO) best way to vDisk and get around CDs... But man MYST IV takes a lot of space after you make the images.

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lynners
Newbie Larva
Member # 4975

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2006 02:25      Profile for Lynners     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok thanks.... and i seriously did not understand half of those abbreviations you guys used...

I feel so ungeekie.... *sigh* i guess im only young. one day i shall make you all proud and use 5 letter words instead of 5 word names BOOYAH!

--------------------
Thank god for Christians

Posts: 9 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 07:04      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ill explain my post. Alcohol Soft. has developed a piece of software that allows you to "Image" your CD's, that is to record exactly how the CD is burned complete with security measures. You can use this to create vDisks a.k.a. Virtual Disk Drives to mount the Images on. the software to do this is called Alcohol 120% and is really small (4-8mb) and easily cracked if you lose the key. (BetaMaster Patch software fixes the DLLs and Registry entrys.

I hope that helped.

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2006 21:42      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Creating images is too big though. You should create mini images instead with some CD directory ripper or some such. Having a 20MB or so image file is far better than having a 600 or 4GB one.
Posts: 118 | From: Manila | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture