homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Wanna watch TV on my Mac...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wanna watch TV on my Mac...
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 06:23      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mac users,

Okay, I've got a PowerBook and a coaxial TV antenna jack in my office, and I want to connect the one to the other so I can watch TV without going downstairs. (The main reason is to get quick updates on earth tremors and such while I'm working.)

I've run across a number of TV tuners that claim to work with a Mac, including models from IOData, Pixela, Yano, and a couple of others, but I haven't had much luck finding reviews for recent models. I'm hoping someone at GC has experience with these things and can suggest a good product.

What I'm looking for: good hardware performance, a reasonably elegant SW interface, and as few bugs as possible.

Anyone know anything about these products?

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 06:30      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... I've never used any, but the Elgato EyeTV is the one people usually rave about. Looking at the website, it looks pretty cool.

I know this is almost no help at all, but I saw a review for a PC-Card one, which said that it was convenient but had crappy software.

And if you have a networked PC downstairs, MythTV is definitely worth a look. Even if you don't, it's just really cool, so check it out if you have a moment.

HTH

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 06:41      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My chum had an Eye TV and it worked as expected. It wasn't wondrous, but it certainly wasn't crap. Watching TV on a computer just isn't hugely attractive compared to a telly. This was an old model that used USB1, and has been sold about a year or two ago. The new ones look a lot cooler!
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 07:12      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks maximile and littlefish!

Hmmm ... EyeTV, eh? I finally ran across that model after posting here. It looks pretty good, but is apparently not that popular in Japan. However, my Mac supplier does claim to carry the EyeTV 200, so I'll have to put it on my list of possibles.

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture