homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Not all megapixels are equally good

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not all megapixels are equally good
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2005 22:27      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're in a market for a new digital camera, I strongly suggest you have a look at digital SLRs before you shell out a whole lot of money for that tiny sleek-looking 6mp+ soapbox of a camera. Why? I'll let pictures speak for themselves - both images are 100% crops of photos taken with 6mp cameras at highest quality settings. I don't think you'll have too much trouble figuring out which one was taken with a digital SLR.
 -

-

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2005 22:52      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting example. I bet it's a lens thing rather than a megapixel thing as such, though. All else being equal, the only not all megapixels being equally good i know about is low light performance in large sensor cameras (ie DSLRs and the like) vs small sensor cameras.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2005 23:10      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noise levels are always much lower with large-sensor cameras, regardless of lighting conditions. The above photo was taken using an el cheapo Canon EF-S 18-55, so I don't think the lens made that much of a difference.
Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 12, 2005 12:45      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problem getting a cel signal in that location I'll bet [Wink]

TiW

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2005 16:43      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dp004i:
Noise levels are always much lower with large-sensor cameras, regardless of lighting conditions. The above photo was taken using an el cheapo Canon EF-S 18-55, so I don't think the lens made that much of a difference.

Umm, OK, what I meant was that small sensor cameras have poor high "ISO" performance, and you would usually dial up the ISO only in low light conditions. Hmm, and the 18-55 is meant to be a pretty bad lens (I've "obsoleted" mine with a sigma 18-125).

I haven't investigated, but what about low ISO performance, can a compact digicam with a decent lens and similar megapixel count match it with a DSLR with a consumer grade lens? I'm guessing a DSLR plus "really good" lens will blow away any compact in terms of sharpness.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2005 16:59      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't had a chance to play around with recent compact digicams; the above shots were taken at ISO 100 with Digital Rebel and ISO 50 with Olympus C-60. As you no doubt can tell, there's still quite a difference in noise levels, even at such low ISO setting. I suppose it's not that big of an issue if you're not planning to do any editing, but attempting to sharpen things up can make it quite ugly. Here's another example - ISO 100 and ISO 50, just like the previous one:

-

-

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2005 17:31      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Titanium Warrior:
No problem getting a cel signal in that location I'll bet [Wink]

TiW

Actually if you're that close to it it "Mushrooms" over you, giving you horrible signal, from what I hear from a man who worked in a building right under a Sprint Tower.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2005 17:44      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh great. Now I'm gonna have to do a side by side between the
ist DS and the A2. [Razz]

It could prove interesting. I usually keep the A2 at ISO 64 but
I'm finding that though the noise can be scary at ISO 200 on
screen, the prints look great. I'd say it would be safe to use ISO
400 up to 5x7 prints. The caveat would be that I only shoot in
RAW with the A2.
The Pentax body uses the same Sony sensor that's in the Nikon
D100-70-50 bunch and ISO 200 is as LOW as it goes. I don't
hesitate to use ISO 400 regularly and even 800 gives clean
results again all done in RAW.
Either way good color or not I don't miss working with Kodak Ektar 25.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture