homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Thinkpad runs Debian!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thinkpad runs Debian!
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 12:54      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of you will be aware that I have been involved in a little project, to install Linux on a 1998 IBM Thinkpad 760el. It has been a struggle, but I have finally done it :-)

Originally, I just wanted to install Ubuntu, but the Thinkpad won't boot from CD, or USB(non built-in), so I ended up trying to install Debian from the internet. I need to acknowledge a lot of assistance from GCers (you know who you are) without whom I would not have succeeded.

This is a big geek milestone for me, having replaced the hard drive, played about in the command line (under guidance!) and even solved a few problems for myself!!!

So, the Thinkpad is a little slow running Debian, but it was no greyhound running Win98SE, so I don't really mind - the thing is, I won!!!!!

Just wanted to share my big daft smiley face after many weeks of wrestling with a museum-piece laptop.

I'll shut up now.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 15:16      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm, Thinkpad Linux.

I've been running a 600X with linux for about two years now-- It's my favorite little laptop, ever.

Congrats on your victory, happy Linuxing!

--------------------
And a thousand thousand slimy things
Lived on; and so did I.

Posts: 111 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 16:08      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn... Hallmark doesn't have a 'Congratulations on your first linux install' card [Razz]

Anyways, congrats! I remember when I first started tooling around with linux... ah, those were the days of wonder and excitement. Life is so bland now...

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 16:24      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having a similiar issue to what you had, while the laptop is _supposed_ to be able to boot from cd, it won't. Also I think the BIOS needs reloading, every other time of loading it it fails (BIOS loading, says corrupt).
It's a (wait for it) Toshiba Satelite PRO. (No floppy drive also, big pain in the ass).

EDIT:
Ok, about six months since I've used it. Now, I have no clue where the power cord is, but amazingly the Xbox plug fits into it, so it got power. But, alas, the screen doesn't turn on (built in). I'm highly disturbed at this, but maybe when I messed with it last I unplugged something. I'll let you guys know.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 16:30      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can one-up you.

I am using a Tecra 150mhz laptop, with 48 MB of RAM.

It runs DamnSmall Linux and it works quite well.

Linux + Old Hardware= [Big Grin]

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 16:43      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, I'm thinking the Xbox power supply doesn't work very well with this baby. I'm (assuming) that it's why the screen isn't coming on. I'm gonna open up this bad boy and check it out.

EDIT: Now I can't this bastard open. I dont think it's the screen because the VGA port doesn't work either.
I need to find it's cable!

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture