homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Why I like robots (a long and boring post)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why I like robots (a long and boring post)
SaSa
Mini Geek
Member # 4494

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 20, 2005 11:09      Profile for SaSa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why I like robots.

My uncle is an artist, an indie film-producer, and a amatuer robotics engineer (and these are his HOBBIES.) He used to make special effects monsters that moved and stuff, and some of his creations used to scare the hell outta me when I was really little. I remember my older cousin once locking me and my sister in my uncle's basement, which was very scarey. He had all sorts of animatronic demons and stuff down there, so for three year olds it could be really freaky. We stood at the door screaming and crying until our aunts came rushing to let us out, LOL. Anyways, he had this one huge robot named Maxwell, who looked very much like an old-fashioned vaccum cleaner with a big camera eye. At first, I was terrified of him and hid under my grandmother's dress whenever he came rolling across the livingroom into the kitchen, saying in a computerized voice "Hello. My name is Max." (which was pretty much all he could say)
One day, my uncle called us into the basement. He said Max wanted to play with us. We came down (with much coaxing from my aunts) and Max had a red nerf ball in his claw. He'd throw it to us, and we'd throw it back, and he'd try to retrieve it and bring it over to us. It was fun! Eventually, I began to like Max very much. Of course, I was very little, so I didn't realize the big blue box in my uncle's lap was what was making Max move. I really believed he was alive, and that he was my friend LOL. Now, I think my uncle threw Max away (after stripping him of parts, of course), but ever since then I can't help but think of roboty-things as sort of charming. Of course, I couldn't tell you how they work or know what they're used for (I'm not a very technical sort of person), but all I know is that I like them. [Smile]

--------------------
Lalala!

Posts: 62 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 11:21      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SaSa, don't worry. Unless it is one of those lego ones I couldn't build one either.

But I will agree those things are just cool. And it sounds like your family has quite a geek streak. [Geek]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
SaSa
Mini Geek
Member # 4494

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 11:28      Profile for SaSa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well thank you! I'll take that as a compliment

--------------------
Lalala!

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 03:57      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a neat book on making a robot out of your old PDA once. When I get a new Palm, maybe I'll pick it up and try it out on my old one.

The Ultimate Palm Robot on Amazon.com

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 04:26      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's some essential reading for any robot-lover: Space Robot Bonanza!

Read it through, it's one of the funniest things on the internet.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 07:06      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, how topical. I've actually built a robot from a kit (BOE-Bot, picture of the little tyke is on my website's project page). Right now I'm trying to assemble a kit for our org (IEEE-CS) to sell and teach a class on -- so that we have robots to program and make compete.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sidney
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2743

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2005 12:47      Profile for Sidney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on a FIRST robotics team! We go to several competitions a year (in the style of robotic sports, not fighting). It's by far the most fun thing I've ever done.
Team website

I've always loved strange, old-fashioned robots, but they're so uncommon these days [Frown] .

Posts: 16 | From: Montclair, NJ | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2005 20:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fs: I had a friend who wrote his thesis on a simple Bayesian neural net for one of those robots. My advisor has played with those a bunch, though I'm not sure if he's gotten much further with them.

Personally, I find messing about with robots to be interesting, but extremely time consuming, with a tendency to be aggravating. I had a bunch of fun programming a RugWarrior, and I now actually have a box with the parts for one - I just have to find the time and motivation to build it. I did an independent study on an Aibo, and found it to be an exercise in futility - and wrote a detailed analysis of the failings in my summary paper.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SaSa
Mini Geek
Member # 4494

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 18:34      Profile for SaSa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an I Cybie I found for 30 bucks at Wal Mart. I thought it would be cool, but it's battery dies so fast I never get the chance to see how cool it really is. I'm thinking of giving it to my uncle LOL.

--------------------
Lalala!

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 19:15      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Personally, I find messing about with robots to be interesting, but extremely time consuming, with a tendency to be aggravating.

Yes, I've always wanted to play around with them, but there is the time involved, plus a material cost investment that would probably just get higher as you get more involved. I have too many hobbies now. I do like reading about them, though. =)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
guy_insane
Mini Geek
Member # 4544

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 18:52      Profile for guy_insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you like robotds but dont like bulding or engeneering very much might i reccomend leggo mind storm?

--------------------
the universe is as you perceive it so a change in perspective is a change in the universe- me november 2 2005

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture