homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Finally, I'll introduce myself

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finally, I'll introduce myself
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 22:25      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,
Alright, I've posted a couple of times here and have been visiting for even longer, yet, I've never officially introduced myself.

Let's see, my screen name is my nickname, which is derived from "sweetie", but that's a fairly long story. I live outside of Chicago, am married to an amazing woman, and have two black cats. Recently, I posted that I was looking for a job, but my situation has gotten better.

Hmm...so, what are my interests? Well, I like to read, I just finished Robinson Crusoe this evening. I'm very much into tech; I started as a software engineer (C, C++, Java), and now I am my company's tech department (good thing we're not huge, otherwise I'd be really busy), which means that I put everything together that requires some amount of programming (like our website). Oh, I just got a Mac mini, and use it for everyday work (and play). I love this thing, although I'm still getting used to it as I've been stuck on Windows for quite some time (I love the Apple keyboard, so much better than the HP POS I've been using for so damn long). I also run Suse Linux (9.3) and have authored a Linux app called ClamShell, which is a Java front end for clamAV. I'm hoping to be able to test it thoroughly on OS X soon.

Well, I think that's about all for now. It's late and I do need to work tomorrow. Hope all is well with everyone, especially those who have been affected by Katrina. Hopefully Rita will be nicer and become drizzle shortly.

[EDIT: Removed some info about my work as keeping quiet is the better part of valor.]

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 08:03      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy, tweety. Welcome to the GC Forums. Since you've been registered for a while, I hope that means we'll see you around oftener now that your work situation has improved.

You probably know we like pictures, so let's see some of the cats, yourself, etc., eh? Your website has some very nice stationery. [thumbsup]

I lived more than half my life within 35 miles of Long Grove, IL. Nice digs. I'd like to discuss web marketing and branding with you privately, so if you are interested, either PM me here or use the contact page on my website (hyperlink in my .sig).  -

gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 14:51      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gg... is it just me or did you augment your av?

Welcome, Tweety!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 15:22      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tweety. Welcome.

I'm surprised you like the Apple keyboards, unless you mean the layout. They used to be much better; using mechanical switches instead of those rubber membranes. Still, I guess it's better than the ones you get free with most PCs.

And tell us more about your reading habits. My favourite author is John Irving, who wrote The Hotel New Hampshire - my favourite book ever. Of course, Adams is high on my list as well, and Pratchett, and Pullman, and...

Stick around!

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 16:08      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
gg... is it just me or did you augment your av?

It's just you, girl.
[Big Grin]
See. No augmentation here.  -

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 17:08      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Maximile,

if you like those authors have you checked out Asprin's "Myth Inc." series? Kind of Pratchett before Pratchett IYKWIM....

There are are a lot of them in the series and I enjoyed them greatly back in the day...

Just a thought

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 18:25      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to have you here, Tweety, stick around, and have some fun!

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 01:00      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, The Myth Inc. series is really good, but I can only find the first 3 and the last one, so I have not been able to read them all

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 18:42      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey maximile,
Well, besides the keyboard that came with my Vaio, ca. 1997, I haven't used another semi-modern keyboard I liked that much. I always liked the keyboards that came with Macs, though. This keyboard, for all of $29, feels better than any I've been using.

My reading habits have always tended toward sci-fi and fantasy. On that note, some authors I really enjoy include Asimov, Heinlein, Pohl, King, Poe, Robert Jordan and Terry Brooks. Orson Scott Cards Ender series is really good as well. I also like Dickens, D.H. Lawrence, Lewis Carroll, Dumas, Kafka and Calvino. Just to name a few. Oh, there's also a great series, Griffin and Sabine, by Nick Bantock. While I mostly tend toward sci-fi/fantasy and some horror, I have been trying to catch up on my classic's. One of these days I will actually tackle The Globe Illustrated Shakespeare The Complete Works Annotated. One of these days, yep.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture