homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Which PDA to buy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which PDA to buy?
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 08:59      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gang,

I'd like your recommendations for a new PDA. My Handspring Visor works for one day then freezes, and my Sony Clie had a coffee malfunction. I'm willing to spend some $$$ to get what I want:

Color screen
WiFi
Graffiti capable
Palm OS
Not an integrated phone type unit
No camera or mp3 player in it

Ideas?

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 09:36      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want graffiti and palm os, you don't have much of a choice, I don't think -- I could be wrong.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 25, 2005 10:44      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe DigitalBill just got a Treo 650. Hopefully he will pipe in on this thread. [Smile]

Edit, oh i guess that's an integrated phone type unit.

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 11:11      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
I believe DigitalBill just got a Treo 650. Hopefully he will pipe in on this thread. [Smile]

Edit, oh i guess that's an integrated phone type unit.

The Treo is definitely my new favorite phone/pda... perhaps I'll post a review separately.

GreyGirl, it just so happens that I have nearly the exact PDA you want, for sale!
quote:
Color screen
WiFi
Graffiti capable
Palm OS
Not an integrated phone type unit
No camera or mp3 player in it

Well, if you're willing to settle for bluetooth instead of WiFi, that is...

EDIT You can add WiFi in the form of an SD card from palmOne as seen here /EDIT

I'm selling my Palm Tungsten T3 with case and 128MB SD card, for $250 (+shipping). Read all about it at Palmone: http://palmone.com/us/products/handhelds/tungsten-t3/

I've used it for like a year, but always in the case and I even still have the box, manuals, disks etc... I love the extendable screen, and reconfigurable virtual graffitti area. Not to mention you can rotate the screen and watch movies on it!

If you want pics of the actual unit, let me know...

=DB

...enJoying Treo 650-y goodness...

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 18:33      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palm OS?
Ever think Linux?
I love my Sharp Personal Mobile Tool (Unfortunately they stopped selling them in the US) -
 -

[Smile]

DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 19:26      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
Palm OS?
Ever think Linux?
I love my Sharp Personal Mobile Tool (Unfortunately they stopped selling them in the US) -
[Smile]

Seems that the next big thing for Palm IS Linux:

http://news.com.com/PalmSource+to+buy+into+China,+Linux/2100-1014_3-5483242.html
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/08/palmsource_linux/
http://www.brighthand.com/article/PalmSource_Developing_Linux_Version_of_Palm_OS

THAT will be seriously cool... like Mac OS X for Handhelds!

=DB

--------------------

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 19:31      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalBill:
quote:
Palm OS?
Ever think Linux?
[Smile]

Seems that the next big thing for Palm IS Linux:
It seriously is big:
 -

[Razz]

DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 19:53      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It seriously is big:
 -

[Razz]

Not quite what I meant by next BIG thing, but it's a start. [Wink]

I think that a company called Agenda was making a Zire-sized linux handheld a few years ago. And of course people have been putting linux onto PocketPCs for a few years.

Then there's iPodLinux!

=DB

... we now return you to Grey_Girl's quest for HandHelds...

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture